My day in Puerto Vallarta: city bus to Malecon

BigJon

I appreciate the comments provided in this thread, especially those from the "temporary locals" who are spending their winter in PV and their suggestions and observations.

It would seem that taking the bus into town would be a fun experience in and of itself. My question is - if we ended up in the area of the Sea Monkey or anywhere along the main drag, how difficult would it be to hail a taxi for a ride back to the ships port? We will be in PV in early April.

Will appreciate comments in that regard. Thanks!

It's easy, taxis are all over and will stop to ask you if you want a ride when you are standing on the sidewalk.

And if you want to save a few pesos, make sure you are north of the river Cuale when you catch a taxi....

Edited by mytime53

It's easy, taxis are all over and will stop to ask you if you want a ride when you are standing on the sidewalk.

And if you want to save a few pesos, make sure you are north of the river Cuale when you catch a taxi....

Great, thanks much! I guess you're having a moderate winter if you're in Wasilla right now. Our son lives in Homer so we get his reports. He gets up to Anchorage often. Thanks again for your info.

Great, thanks much! I guess you're having a moderate winter if you're in Wasilla right now. Our son lives in Homer so we get his reports. He gets up to Anchorage often. Thanks again for your info.

The weather in wasilla is awful right now...too warm for our winter sports and likely killing my more exotic plants, as they can't take a thaw in the middle of winter. We're actually in PV right now and thankful, as we wouldn't be able to do the "winter stuff" at home. If the weather doesn't get colder and give us some snow, we'll see about changing our return tickets.

Can anyone advise as to whether there is an area in PV - probably in the main part of the city that has street food vendors? Or if not more than one, a particular vendor that has a static location that you would recommend?

Will appreciate comments.

I don't know about day, as we usually head downtown in the evening. Our favorite area was "dispersed" a few years back, so now we usually head to the area between the amphitheater (on the malecon facing the church) and the bridge over the River Cuale...the pies are delicious! Just as you get to the bridge, go left...just past Pinocchios Pizza is Vicky's Tamales if you like tamales.

I don't know about day, as we usually head downtown in the evening. Our favorite area was "dispersed" a few years back, so now we usually head to the area between the amphitheater (on the malecon facing the church) and the bridge over the River Cuale...the pies are delicious! Just as you get to the bridge, go left...just past Pinocchios Pizza is Vicky's Tamales if you like tamales.

What street is this on? Can you recommend and other authentic mexican restaurants? We like to go to places where locals go, especially hole in the walls.

The weather in wasilla is awful right now...too warm for our winter sports and likely killing my more exotic plants, as they can't take a thaw in the middle of winter. We're actually in PV right now and thankful, as we wouldn't be able to do the "winter stuff" at home. If the weather doesn't get colder and give us some snow, we'll see about changing our return tickets.

Mytime53 - - - my son has complained similarly re: the weather. Always strikes me as odd but then he if a different generation! Or it is all in what interests you or one is accustomed to. THANKS for the suggestions of eateries. I will look into them.

BTW - as you no doubt have heard, we here in the midwest have experienced one of the coldest winters on record. A lot of snow too but the snow is no bother. That we can handle, but the sub zero temps for days in a row are something to experience! The furnace never stops running! Enjoy your time there in PV!

Can anyone advise as to whether there is an area in PV - probably in the main part of the city that has street food vendors? Or if not more than one, a particular vendor that has a static location that you would recommend?

Will appreciate comments.

In the street next to the stadium (more or less opposite the Sheraton Hotel), you will find some small kiosks with foodvendors. Hardly any tourists around there, just locals. Our favorite is La Burrita Marinera. They have the best burritas = cooked to order- with either shrimps, marlyn(sp!), squid or combinations of this. They cost between Pesos 50 or 60. There are a few tables.

The correct address is: Ave. de las Americas, local 8 & 9

Open till 6 pm.

We actually have specific (and governed) taxi stands (they each have their own number) where there are always some taxis. From the Sea Monkey there are 2 nearby taxi stands with the easiest one to find probably right on Olas Altas. If you walk in front of the Sea Monkey (keeping the sea on your right) in about 2 blocks you will come to a street (right in front of Taste of Italy (restaurant) where there are always some taxis.

Another taxi area is about 2 blocks away on the corner of Aquiles Serdan and Vallarta. And remember that another way to get back to the port is by taking one of the local buses (any bus with "Sams" on the windshield will get you near the port).

Hailing an empty taxi that happens to be driving by is also OK. In fact, in many cases the taxi will actually hail you :)

Hank

In the street next to the stadium (more or less opposite the Sheraton Hotel), you will find some small kiosks with foodvendors. Hardly any tourists around there, just locals. Our favorite is La Burrita Marinera. They have the best burritas = cooked to order- with either shrimps, marlyn(sp!), squid or combinations of this. They cost between Pesos 50 or 60. There are a few tables.

The correct address is: Ave. de las Americas, local 8 & 9

Open till 6 pm.

This is very helpful and worthy of checking out. Thanks so much!

We actually have specific (and governed) taxi stands (they each have their own number) where there are always some taxis. From the Sea Monkey there are 2 nearby taxi stands with the easiest one to find probably right on Olas Altas. If you walk in front of the Sea Monkey (keeping the sea on your right) in about 2 blocks you will come to a street (right in front of Taste of Italy (restaurant) where there are always some taxis.

Another taxi area is about 2 blocks away on the corner of Aquiles Serdan and Vallarta. And remember that another way to get back to the port is by taking one of the local buses (any bus with "Sams" on the windshield will get you near the port).

Hailing an empty taxi that happens to be driving by is also OK. In fact, in many cases the taxi will actually hail you :)

Hank

Hank - - thanks for the additional information re: the taxi's. We want to visit the area of the Sea Monkey so your comments there were right on. With your help and with some suggestions on local food places I think I can now plan our day in PV and do it with ease. Thanks again.

Hank - - thanks for the additional information re: the taxi's. We want to visit the area of the Sea Monkey so your comments there were right on. With your help and with some suggestions on local food places I think I can now plan our day in PV and do it with ease. Thanks again.

It might even make you feel more confident to know that nearly everyone here in PV speaks some English (or is completely fluent). And the reason we love this place is because just about everyone is friendly and helpful. So when you get here, if you need any help or advice, just ask nearly anyone. But if they try to respond by selling you something...then be a bit cautious :).

Hank

It might even make you feel more confident to know that nearly everyone here in PV speaks some English (or is completely fluent). And the reason we love this place is because just about everyone is friendly and helpful. So when you get here, if you need any help or advice, just ask nearly anyone. But if they try to respond by selling you something...then be a bit cautious :).

Hank

Thanks again for the additional comments Hank. We were last in PV for our honeymoon some 30+ years ago. I am sure it has changed since then. We are looking forward to the cruise and our first port will be PV. I feel well prepared thanks to your and other comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you take the bus marked "Centro"...look at the map at the link

http://www.bestofbucerias.com/upload/Puerto_Vallarta_map.JPG

You'll see that Basillo Badillo is 5 or 6 blocks after crossing the bridge over the Rio Cuale. We noticed last month that the buses didn't always take the same route once they crossed the bridge, so if we wanted to go towards the beach, our plan was to always get off as soon as the bus made a left turn after crossing the bridge.

By the way, for those who don't know, most of the street names are printed on little signs on the sides of the buildings on the corners. If you take a small map with you, and watch for those names, you'll be fine. Anytime you want off, ring the buzzer (they're in different places in different buses, so look for them) and the bus will make sure to stop at the next stop).

Edited by mytime53

Yes, you take the bus marked "Centro"...look at the map at the link

http://www.bestofbucerias.com/upload/Puerto_Vallarta_map.JPG

You'll see that Basillo Badillo is 5 or 6 blocks after crossing the bridge over the Rio Cuale. We noticed last month that the buses didn't always take the same route once they crossed the bridge, so if we wanted to go towards the beach, our plan was to always get off as soon as the bus made a left turn after crossing the bridge.

By the way, for those who don't know, most of the street names are printed on little signs on the sides of the buildings on the corners. If you take a small map with you, and watch for those names, you'll be fine. Anytime you want off, ring the buzzer (they're in different places in different buses, so look for them) and the bus will make sure to stop at the next stop).

Thanks.

We will complicate your life further because we now have not 1....but 2 (yes 2) Walmart Superstores (along with a Sams Club and a Costco) in Puerto Vallarta. And only one of those Walmarts is near the cruise port. And remember, the bus fare is only 7.5 Pesos (after last month's fare increase) which is about 60 cents. Most drivers are fine with making a nice profit if you give them $1 since you are overpaying by about 60%..

Hank

Great info!

Seeing that you live there, can you tell me if there are any free wifi hotspots within walking distance of the port?

Also, I see that there is a Starbucks at the Galeria Vallarta Mall. Would that be an easy walk from the port?

Great info!

Seeing that you live there, can you tell me if there are any free wifi hotspots within walking distance of the port?

Also, I see that there is a Starbucks at the Galeria Vallarta Mall. Would that be an easy walk from the port?

The Galleria is opposite the cruise terminal. You will also see the big Liverpool sign, which is one of the big stores.

But also go to old town or the Malecon, donot stay around the port, or you will miss the ""Vallarta touch"". Many restaurants offer wifi nowadays.

The Galleria is opposite the cruise terminal. You will also see the big Liverpool sign, which is one of the big stores.

But also go to old town or the Malecon, donot stay around the port, or you will miss the ""Vallarta touch"". Many restaurants offer wifi nowadays.

Thanks.

About how far is the Malecon from the port and is it walkable?

Also, I've seen some references to there being free public wifi along the Malecon. Is this true?

Thanks.

Also, I've seen some references to there being free public wifi along the Malecon. Is this true?

It is a few miles, better take one of the blue/white bues with Centro or Olas Altas on the window. Cost 7,50 pesos per person. Yes there is free wifi on the Malecon, like in most restaurants. Check the info given on this and other posting for maps and more information/details re bus or cab.

The Malecon is filled with art, shops and restaurants. Near the church there is another Starboecks. In old town, a little more down the Malecon you find various restaurantds right on the beach.

I think you would miss a lot when staying near the terminal.

Thanks.

I have actually walked it (just for fun while living here in PV) and it takes me nearly an hour from the Malecon to the Marina (port area). There is NOT free public WiFi along the Malecon, but quite a few cafes/bars/restaurants do offer free WiFi. It is possible that you might be able to latch onto a free WiFi signal (coming from one merchants) as you walk along the Malecon. Many of the beach bars (located on the southside of town in known as the Old Town or Romantic Zone) also offer free WiFi...

Hank

P.S. Hola Ine :)

I have actually walked it (just for fun while living here in PV) and it takes me nearly an hour from the Malecon to the Marina (port area). There is NOT free public WiFi along the Malecon, but quite a few cafes/bars/restaurants do offer free WiFi. It is possible that you might be able to latch onto a free WiFi signal (coming from one merchants) as you walk along the Malecon. Many of the beach bars (located on the southside of town in known as the Old Town or Romantic Zone) also offer free WiFi...

Hank

P.S. Hola Ine :)

Buenos dias Hank.

According this article (and also as I heard from others) there seems to be free wifi at the Malecon. Of course the question will be how secure it is.

http://www.simplyvallarta.com/puerto-vallarta-malecon-receives-huge-holiday-gift-free-wifi/

Buenos dias Hank.

According this article (and also as I heard from others) there seems to be free wifi at the Malecon. Of course the question will be how secure it is.

http://www.simplyvallarta.com/puerto-vallarta-malecon-receives-huge-holiday-gift-free-wifi/

Yes, it's several articles like this that I have come across referring to the free wifi on the Malecon, but the articles all seem to be 2 - 3 years old. That's why I was wondering if it was [still] true.

Thanks to you both for the info!

Ok, so this is Mexico and things are often not what they are supposed to be. We live on the southside Malecon and do not have any free wifi...and even our paid wifi in our condo is hit or miss. But I just took a stroll along the Malecon as far as City Hall looking for free Municpal WiDi. I did stumble on free WiFi at city hall, although I am not sure it is intentional or accidental. Else where the only free wifi was from a few bars/restaurants. But does that mean there is or is not free Wifi on the Malecon? No because the internet here is so sporadic that it might be there tomorrow or the next day...but not next week. We love it here :)

Hank