My day in Puerto Vallarta: city bus to Malecon

BigJon

Just lurking on this thread ….. sorry to stray a bit off topic here, but Hank, you seem to have a lot of info on PV. We are headed there on a land trip on Saturday, and I can't seem to find anyone on TA that knows where there might be some duty free shops in town. Primarily, I'd like to be able to buy some good tequila and bring it home. With the new TSA liquor rules, since we can now bring liquids as carry ons as long as they are packaged appropriately, I'm hoping to find a store in town (downtown or south side, where ever, really! We are staying near the marina) that I can buy duty free and that can package per the new rules. Just figuring that it will be a bit less than buying at the airport on our way out.

As payback for hijacking my way into this thread, here's a link to a great site with tons of info on PV. Lots geared towards land vacations, but definitely info that is useful for cruisers, too!

http://vallartainfo.com/index.html

Edited by Softball20
spelling error :)

As far as I know there are only taxfree shops at the airport, after customs before embarkation.

In town the La Playa shops (they have various locations) have a good selection of all type of alcohol.

I would also check the adjacent Sam's Club.

I think that cruisers can get a free one-day pass, but I saw a Tequila set, with bottle and four shot glasses there, that I wish I had bought after I saw the same bottle, without glasses, in Cabo for double the price.

gary

Just lurking on this thread ….. sorry to stray a bit off topic here, but Hank, you seem to have a lot of info on PV. We are headed there on a land trip on Saturday, and I can't seem to find anyone on TA that knows where there might be some duty free shops in town. Primarily, I'd like to be able to buy some good tequila and bring it home. With the new TSA liquor rules, since we can now bring liquids as carry-ons as long as they are packaged appropriately, I'm hoping to find a store in town (downtown or south side, where ever, really! We are staying near the marina) that I can buy duty free and that can package per the new rules. Just figuring that it will be a bit less than buying at the airport on our way out.

As payback for hijacking my way into this thread, here's a link to a great site with tons of info on PV. Lots geared towards land vacations, but definitely info that is useful for cruisers, too!

http://vallartainfo.com/index.html

What is the new TSA rule about bringing alcohol in carry on luggage? I've been through their site and couldn't find anything! (Well other then the 3oz!)

I would love it if that changed!!!

I believe that Softball20 being a little too optimistic with the term "duty free". "Duty Free" stores are typically located inside a port or an airport, after security but before the gate. The "liquids" must be places in secure, tamper-evident bags (STEBs).

Under the old rule you were limited in quantity carried and you didn't have the ability to transfer to a connecting flight and continue to have the "liquid" in your carry-on. The new rules allow greater quantities and have provisions that may allow for transfer to a connecting flight.

We often fly between Chicago and Vallarta. We routinely purchase tequila in the airport duty free store. The duty free puts the booze in a special bag that allows airport/airline personnel to see if the contents of the bag has been tampered with. The rule change allows us to leave the tequila in our carry-on if we make a plane change in, say, Houston. Under the old rule we would have been forced to put the tequila in our checked baggage before getting on the connecting flight to Chicago.

The rule: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-carry-ons

Duty Free: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty-free_shop

STEBs: http://www.icao.int/security/SFP/LAGS_STEBS/Pages/default.aspx

Getting back to Softball20's original question . . . I don't think there are any retail outlets in Vallarta that qualify as a "Duty Free" store. I have never seen any retail outlet in Vallarta that has STEBs other than the in-airport duty free stores.

We will be in PV on a cruise in December and have been several times before. Last time we went to Bucerias and it was recommended that next time we head to Sayulita (sp?). Anyone have any recommendations as to how to get there and what to do? While in Bucerias we did Segways and the tour guide put us in a van (combi, she called it) to get back to the port. We took a cab up there and it was quite a bit more expensive! LOL!

On the topic of tequila, Sam's club is definitely the best deal going!!! We bring an extra suitcase just for the tequila!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting all this very useful information. My wife and I just returned from the Miracle. We had an overnight in PV and took the bus both days to and from Centro. The bus ride itself was a thrill ride!! Old Town is really cool and the Malecon is awesome. We loved sitting on the beach at the Sea Monkey and the next day sitting up high with a view at the Cheeky Monkey. Great Info!!!

• 1 month later...
I have actually walked it (just for fun while living here in PV) and it takes me nearly an hour from the Malecon to the Marina (port area). There is NOT free public WiFi along the Malecon, but quite a few cafes/bars/restaurants do offer free WiFi. It is possible that you might be able to latch onto a free WiFi signal (coming from one merchants) as you walk along the Malecon. Many of the beach bars (located on the southside of town in known as the Old Town or Romantic Zone) also offer free WiFi...

Hank

P.S. Hola Ine :)

Hola Hlitner! Are you still in PV? We get there next week for 6 weeks to see if we want to retire there. Have an apartment behind the Cathedral. Been going for 10 years and I worked on Disney and was there every week for 4 months. JUST LOVE PV!!! So we want to see if we want to retire there and figure 6 weeks in an apartment will tell us. If you are still there would love to meet! I sent you a friend request here. :)

Hola Hlitner! Are you still in PV? We get there next week for 6 weeks to see if we want to retire there. Have an apartment behind the Cathedral. Been going for 10 years and I worked on Disney and was there every week for 4 months. JUST LOVE PV!!! So we want to see if we want to retire there and figure 6 weeks in an apartment will tell us. If you are still there would love to meet! I sent you a friend request here. :)

Hank has left Vallarta about a month ago. He had booked a TA crossing, so he might be sailing now.

We are still in Vallarta and maybe can help you. I think you and I both know Lisa and Tom. Lisa has my e-mail address.

• 4 weeks later...

Just spotted this old message and hope that you are enjoying the PV trip. We thank Ine for explaining our absence from the thread. We are actually still on a cruise but will finally be off the ship and visiting France starting tomorrow. Ine is a better authority on living in PV since we are only there 2 months a year. As to the friend request on CC, this has long been a mystery to me. CC kept the friends tho gee, but stopped with the e-mail connections many years ago. So we can now friend folks, but it seems to have little practical use.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just spotted this old message and hope that you are enjoying the PV trip. We thank Ine for explaining our absence from the thread. We are actually still on a cruise but will finally be off the ship and visiting France starting tomorrow. Ine is a better authority on living in PV since we are only there 2 months a year. As to the friend request on CC, this has long been a mystery to me. CC kept the friends tho gee, but stopped with the e-mail connections many years ago. So we can now friend folks, but it seems to have little practical use.

Hank

I hope you are enjoying your cruise. We arrived back home last Sunday after another great stay in Vallarta.

Yes I have met SakeDad, in person as well through facebook. He is enjoying his stay in Vallarta.

• 1 month later...

It's been a 1 1/2 years since my original trip report, and now I know how to post photos, so I thought I would post a few. Maybe it might help someone out, on their first trip to Puerto Vallarta. I took this photo across the road from the port. You can see in the window of the bus, the names of the destinations. (Centro=downtown)

2yz9yz4.jpg

After I took a picture of the bus, I looked back toward our ship, and took this picture....

317787s.jpg

This was taken at the Malecon. This guy was balancing rocks on the beach....

2m7yjxv.jpg

While we were on the ship, I took this picture looking at Sam's Club (Wal-Mart on the left). Directly in front of Sam's Club, you can see the bus stop. (there's a white bus in front of it) This is where we got off the bus, after we left the Malecon area. If you look in the middle, far right of this picture, you will see a small white "guard station" building, in front of the port. (there's a white canopy in front of it). This is where we exited the port, and then we took a right up the sidewalk, and walked about 20 or 30 yards and caught the bus to the Malecon....

2w6w208.jpg

The Malecon was a great place to stoll around. Loved all of the artwork....

359wv0h.jpg

Loved the cobblestone streets in the Old Town area....

2yy4c9t.jpg

Seeing these pictures makes me want to go back. Great port stop!......jonathan

Thank you for the trip report. We have been to PV several times and will be returning next year after several year's absence. We haven't even thought of what to do this time, but a walk on the Malecon may be just the ticket! My only concern is the heat and the humidity in May...and the step up on that bus!:eek:

• 1 month later...

Hank

This is why I LOVE this site! Thanks Big Jon this is a little treasure of a post

Hiltner

Still giving out practical, no nonsense advice and suggestions I see? Been thankful for your advice on a couple of occasions now, great CC contributor.

OK guys you have me sold on the bus ride and stroll round.

One last question: As Brits already changing our money into Dollars for the Transatlantic trip, would you change up some of them into Pesos for three days in Port? We dont anticipate making many purchases, just drinks, transportation and maybe some light lunch.

Most places in PV will accept US dollars, but whether they give you a good exchange rate will really vary from place to place. Personally, given that you will have 3 days in Mexican ports you might be wise to get some Pesos. But plenty of cruisers manage fine with just dollars.

Hank

This is why I LOVE this site! Thanks Big Jon this is a little treasure of a post

Hiltner

Still giving out practical, no nonsense advice and suggestions I see? Been thankful for your advice on a couple of occasions now, great CC contributor.

OK guys you have me sold on the bus ride and stroll round.

One last question: As Brits already changing our money into Dollars for the Transatlantic trip, would you change up some of them into Pesos for three days in Port? We dont anticipate making many purchases, just drinks, transportation and maybe some light lunch.

As information, you can't use USA coins in Mexico. They will take dollars and give you back Pesos in change at most places.

Since this post is about the bus, if you take the Centro bus to the end of the line in old town and walk a couple of blocks, you can catch a bus south to Boca de Tomatlan. You pass Mismaloya if you want to go there or just enjoy the ride and views around the bay--cheap fun. The fare was about the same as to Centro--I think 7.5 pesos, about 60 cents. We had some pesos from another trip to Mexico but they will take USD and may or may not give you change.

Since this post is about the bus, if you take the Centro bus to the end of the line in old town and walk a couple of blocks, you can catch a bus south to Boca de Tomatlan. You pass Mismaloya if you want to go there or just enjoy the ride and views around the bay--cheap fun. The fare was about the same as to Centro--I think 7.5 pesos, about 60 cents. We had some pesos from another trip to Mexico but they will take USD and may or may not give you change.

I believe the bus to Boca de Tomatlan now costs 8 Pesos. But who is quibbling over a half peso :). The PV buses are a great bargain.

Hank