iPad onboard???

AliceS

I was on the Star Princess for 30 days in S. America and used my iPad every day, but couldn't use it on the Ruby in November. Went to the Internet Cafe' and was asked if I downloaded the new version and I did. The guy at the internet said that the ship would not recognize the new version. I don't understand that because any new iPad will come with the new version and Princess would have to adapt. What's up? Can anyone help with this?

I was on the Star Princess for 30 days in S. America and used my iPad every day, but couldn't use it on the Ruby in November. Went to the Internet Cafe' and was asked if I downloaded the new version and I did. The guy at the internet said that the ship would not recognize the new version. I don't understand that because any new iPad will come with the new version and Princess would have to adapt. What's up? Can anyone help with this?

I have the newest ipad and it worked fine on the Ruby in December. Sorry yours didn't work.

I say "Wecome to the world of Apple Products". It seems some work, some don't on ships. Same for Wi-Fi in foreign lands. Some will log on, others won't for love of money. There is a rumor going around that the new Iphone6 you will be able to actually make a phone call!

you must be doing something wrong because I have used an older ipad and just recently the new ipad and connection is not a problem

its just a script for log in bang your on

the only time you may not connect is if you are using a phone and the connectivity for your wifi is routed through your simm -- I found this in Civitivecchia italy on the city wifi

cheers

I say "Wecome to the world of Apple Products". It seems some work, some don't on ships. Same for Wi-Fi in foreign lands. Some will log on, others won't for love of money. There is a rumor going around that the new Iphone6 you will be able to actually make a phone call!

Now that is funny.

The ship internet manager was telling the truth. Go here to see the fix just released by Apple:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2021314/apple-releases-ios-6-2-with-wi-fi-fix.html

OK I've read all of the replies. Do I need to download a different version other than 6.0.1 to use an iPad on Princess, or have they resolved the issue?

I'm not talking iPhone or mini

come on techies out there.....you know this stuff. If I can't get the answer here, guess it's the grand-kids again.

We are going on the Ruby in January and plan on bringing IPAD. How much was internet package?

Current Internet pricing:

First there is a $3.95 initial sign up charge (once per cruise per user; free for platinum/elite passengers). Then 75 cents/minute unless you purchase a package. No refund for package minutes not used.

Packages:

100 minutes $69.00

200 minutes $99.00

400 minutes $159.00

600 minutes $199.00

1000 minutes (world cruise only) $249

If you sign up for a package the first day, there is usually some free bonus minutes. You can also pre-pay for a package at http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp and this will include more bonus minutes than you would get onboard. If you pre-pay, it will be priced to include the 3.95 initial sign-on fee.

The package minutes can be used on your own computer, on the ship's computers in the Internet Café and on any WIFI compatible devices that you have.

Just returned last night from 10 days on the Emerald. My Ipad 2 worked flawlessly and it was the best shipboard wireless service I've ever had.

The internet speed among many other parameters is impacted by the number of pax using it. The pipe can only carry so much traffic before it starts slowing down for each simultaneous user. Late at night and early in the morning generally have the best response time as does anytime the ship is in port and most are off on excursions. As they say with cars, your mileage can vary from the advertised mileage.

If you want to check your iPad/iPhone/PC before cruising, take it to several local places that offers free WiFi (restaurants, coffee houses, etc) and see if it will attach and work. Checking it before hand on as many different WiFi connections should give you confidence.

Archived