First timer with many questions

Nudetypist

Hi Everyone, OP here. Just a few more questions:

-Do you guys usually leave your passports inside your cabin when you port? I don't want to carry it with me in case it gets lost, but then it's dangerous to not have a passport in a foreign country. What do most people do?

-Do I have to exchange money when I port in Bahamas? Or do they accept american dollars?

-Weird question, but what are the chances that I'll get caught throwing a bottle (with a message) overboard? I want to see if my bottle reaches anyone overseas years later. I'm sure it's against the rules. I do have a balcony and a strong arm, so I'm just wondering. ;)

Hi Everyone, OP here. Just a few more questions:

-Do you guys usually leave your passports inside your cabin when you port? I don't want to carry it with me in case it gets lost, but then it's dangerous to not have a passport in a foreign country. What do most people do?

-Do I have to exchange money when I port in Bahamas? Or do they accept american dollars?

-Weird question, but what are the chances that I'll get caught throwing a bottle (with a message) overboard? I want to see if my bottle reaches anyone overseas years later. I'm sure it's against the rules. I do have a balcony and a strong arm, so I'm just wondering. ;)

I always leave our passports in the cabin safe. You could make a photocopy of your information page and take that.

US dollars are accepted everywhere. You may receive change back in Bahamian dollars.

Nothing should be thrown overboard. There are security cameras.

No knowledge of these two ships.

I get carsick FREQUENTLY, but I've never been seasick. Don't assume it'll happen!

You're not going to stay in your room the whole cruise, so the location isn't important -- I mean, it's not important in the context of this seasickness question. Regardless, any difference between one area of the ship and another area of the ship -- if such a difference exists at all -- is miniscule. Be prepared to medicate the seasickness, if it should occur; but IF she's going to be sick, it'll happen whether you're on Deck 2 or Deck 10.

I've never seen mosquitos at sea, but I wouldn't sleep out on the balcony anyway.

Food in the fridge costs money, but don't worry: Most of the other food onboard is free, and you'll have no shortage of snacks.

Hint: Anytime food or drink isn't free, you'll be asked to sign a charge slip. It won't be a surprise.

Internet in rooms varies from ship to ship.

Both internet and phone cost a pretty penny.

We don't tend to spend much onboard. We pay our tips ahead of time, we do not take ship's excursions -- EVER, we drink lightly and gamble only nickel slots. As such, the two of us tend to have a bill of around $200/week. However, our bill doesn't really matter to you: Your own bill may vary widely according to your habits. You need to read these boards and gain an idea of what you yourself might be likely to spend.

The reality is that the ship doesn't give a hoot whether you have a passport -- what they want from you is your money. They WILL check your documents when you check in, but they do it because you have to prove your citizenship to US Customs when you return to the US. The ship's people don't want you stuck in their terminal, so they won't let you board if you're not going to be able to leave at the end of the cruise. Once they've "processed you", the only thing the ship cares about is your ship's ID card. That's what you'll need every time you board /reboard the ship. So, you're safer to leave the passport onboard 'til it's time to re-enter the US at the end of your cruise. If you leave it onboard, you cannot lose it accidentally (like my friend who lost hers in a taxicab), nor can you be the victim of a pickpocket. People who are fearful of missing the ship will say that you're in grave danger if you're not holding it in your hand every minute, but if you're using common sense, you're not likely to miss the ship. Even if you should twist an ankle or have some other accident on shore during those few hours, you're almost certainly going to choose to take a taxi back to the ship and seek medical treatment onboard. And everyone'll tell you not to wait 'til the last minute to return to the ship anyway. You have little risk in leaving the passport on the ship; you have great risk in taking it off the ship.

Everyone, everywhere likes American dollars. Take small bills, or be prepared to discover that no one has any change for your $50 bill.

Do not throw anything off the ship -- ever. Your chances of being caught are very, very good, and your chances of being fined or reprimanded are very, very good. You can even be put off at the next island for throwing things overboard. We've read stories on this board occasionally about teenagers doing this type of thing.

Archived