QE II norovirus?

macsback

Salicia, surely you aren't suggesting the ships massage the figures...they wouldn't do that would they..not the great Cunard;):D Everyone knows someone with Noro boarded the ship that day and within hours lots were ill:)

Salicia, surely you aren't suggesting the ships massage the figures...they wouldn't do that would they..not the great Cunard;):D Everyone knows someone with Novo boarded the ship that day and within hours lots were ill:)

I also heard that there was someone with norovirus on a grassy knoll, or was it in a library!!

Salicia, surely you aren't suggesting the ships massage the figures...they wouldn't do that would they..not the great Cunard;):D Everyone knows someone with Novo boarded the ship that day and within hours lots were ill:)

Hi moniquet. Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear: My understanding is that the reported number of cases (both on land and on sea) is generally considered to be less than the actual numbers because not everyone who becomes ill sees a doctor.

Speaking from personal experience, I came down with a gastrointestional illness with the same symptoms as Noro two days before Christmas while at home. I didn't see my doctor (too sick to leave the house). I quarantined myself at home for a week, but I felt much better within 2 days. It was one of the few times I was very happy NOT to be on a cruise ship :eek: I don't know if passengers who are stricken on board are simply requested or required (ordered) to see the ship's doctor:confused:, but at home, it is a personal decision.

Happy new year,

Salacia

Thanks Gentlemancruser for taking the time to post that good news from on-board.

The CDC updated the investigative report today (2 Jan):

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 204 of 2,613 (7.81%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 16 of 1,255 (1.27%)

And thanks also to the CDC for their efforts: "Two CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officer and an epidemiologist will board the ship on arrival in Brooklyn on January 3, 2013 to conduct an environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities." quoted in part from http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2012/january3_queen_mary_2.htm

Again, best wishes to all concerned. Oh, and welcome to New York. Dress warmly and have a safe trip home.

Regards,

Salacia

Most likely, it was in a loo!:eek:

Was that tummy upsets in Loo or was there a shooting in Loo(e)

Such an idylic, beautiful location, who would have thought such dastardly things could take place in such a beauty spot!:D

Having said that the queues were this long....

Gentlemancruiser

Once again a big thank you for your much appreciated and reassuring update. :) This will no doubt be a cruise to remember and may well go down in the anuls of history ;);)(schoolboy giggle at the thought of removing the 'l')

Update from onboard today. We have one case of Noro but some restrictions are being lifted tonight.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Hi mallorasaint. Thanks for the update; happy to hear the good news. Kudos to the Captain, crew and passengers for their remarkable efforts. How are the seas? Hope you are having fun - Cheers, -S.

No doubt that one sick passenger will soon be exaggarated up to 50% of all onboard this ship as the doom and gloom merchants will never be interested in the truth.

The media will now be able to say that according to 'a source' 50% of all aboard the ship are still effected

Is mallorcasaint really Micky Arison?

Should we all still be cancelling our holidays as this is only effecting one ship?

Why should I waste my money on a ship that cannot control this outbreak?

Is Cunard acting as a government agent and are carrying out tests on a certain class of society just to see how easily a virus can both be spread and controlled?

Is it all a ploy by manufacturers of health products to boosts sales of certain products?

Shame on those that talk this ailment down...

We are all doomed... Doomed I tell you, we are all doomed and should stay at home, lock all your doors, seal the windows and most important of all... Give away your car as those things are a DEATH TRAP!! If you don't believe me the look at the figures!!!! Give away your cars as they are a far bigger menace that this Cunard created bug!

Now to sit back and enjoy some fishing

No doubt that one sick passenger will soon be exaggarated up to 50% of all onboard this ship as the doom and gloom merchants will never be interested in the truth.

The media will now be able to say that according to 'a source' 50% of all aboard the ship are still effected

Is mallorcasaint really Micky Arison?

Should we all still be cancelling our holidays as this is only effecting one ship?

Why should I waste my money on a ship that cannot control this outbreak?

Is Cunard acting as a government agent and are carrying out tests on a certain class of society just to see how easily a virus can both be spread and controlled?

Is it all a ploy by manufacturers of health products to boosts sales of certain products?

Shame on those that talk this ailment down...

We are all doomed... Doomed I tell you, we are all doomed and should stay at home, lock all your doors, seal the windows and most important of all... Give away your car as those things are a DEATH TRAP!! If you don't believe me the look at the figures!!!! Give away your cars as they are a far bigger menace that this Cunard created bug!

Now to sit back and enjoy some fishing

No. Mallorcasaint is certainly not Mickey Arison.

Modt restrictions now lifted. We are currently in a force 9 gale but sailing happily on!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Just a thought...Considering the precautions the Captain is recommending to passengers (i.e. avoid the buffet and public area washrooms, etc), I doubt it is due to "sea-sickness or tummy upsets".

Clearly, there is an outbreak of gastrointestional illness on board. (We're calling it Noro here because that is most often the cause, but that hasn't been confirmed yet, nor has the extent of the outbreak.) When and how the virus came on board is also an open question, but passengers are not the only possible source. At this point, I imagine what matters most to passengers and crew is that it is contained as soon as possible. I'm sure every effort is being made to have that happen.

BTW, does anyone know if cruise lines are required to inform passengers waiting to board if there has been an reportable outbreak of gastrointestinal illness on the previous voyage? And if so, is their any compensation regarding their fare for those who decide not to board?-Thanks, -S.

I've been reading through this thread and so far this is the first entry that actually addresses the situation. I too, traveled the Christmas Fiesta and both my husband and daughter were victims of this "unknown pathogen" as stated by the press.

There is no question that QM2's staff were instructed to heighten their cleaning procedures, however, if there were ANY cases of the "norovirus" reported on the Southampton - NY trip, the ship should have completely vacated as they did on the return to NY and sterilized it completely, as they did when they arrived back from the Caribbean. Either that, or give, us, the passengers the option to travel or postpone. They single handedly exposed us all, for what? Because it would have been a major loss financially for Cunard/Carnival.

As far as the cleaning went, I found it to be inconsistant and inadequate... Frequently I saw red hazmat bags hanging around the hallway, when they should have been removed right away. The over zealous squirting of hand sanitizer to point where my hands were cracked and raw. Having to be gloved up to view my photos, yet using the same pen to sign for them. All the handrails were sticky and disgusting; why couldn't they be wiped down after they were sterilized? Why did the gym remain open? I can't think of a better venue to spread a virus.

Don't get me wrong... I love traveling on the QM2, in fact I'm a platinum member and I do plan to travel again one day. I just think they dropped the ball and alot of important information was kept from the passengers.

The CDC report is now posted for the current outbreak on the QM2.

Investigation Update on the Queen Mary 2

As of now, the reported number of cases are

Passengers: 194 of 2,613 (7.42%)

Crew: 11 of 1,255 (0.88%)

Regards,

John.

What about all those people who were sick and were not reported? As the case with my daughter. She became sick during the first couple of days of the cruise. Special Hazmat crew were called to clean because my stewardess said she was not permitted to clean this mess. I had no idea that a norovirus was going around and treated her myself (thank God I have a strong immune system or I could have caught it; unfortunately my husband wasn't so lucky). Why wasn't this reported to the health care facility? How many others went unreported? I truly believe they wanted to downplay the whole thing until it became epidemic. $$$$ was on their minds...

Sanitizers are of little effect against viruses. No objection to the rest of your post.

I've begun washing my hands before I wash my hands, after which I wash my hands...

Yes, in fact it can lower your immune system by killing the good bacteria on your hands. A good old fashion washing with warm water and hand soap is the best way to protect yourself from these nasty viruses.

In my case, I think I was overdosed on hand sanitizers because my hands became raw; leaving me vunerable to something far worse.

• 4 weeks later...

As per the CDC the causative Agent for the gastro illness on the QM2 Christmas cruise was NoroVirus.

I copied the results below from the CDC web site.

2012Cruise Line Cruise Ship Sailing Dates Causative Agent

Cunard Line Queen Mary 2 12/22 - 01/03 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Emerald Princess 12/17 - 12/27 Norovirus

Prestige Cruise Holdings Oceania Riviera 11/15 - 11/29 Norovirus

Holland America Line Amsterdam 11/11-12/5 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Ruby Princess 10/09-10/28 Norovirus and Enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC)

Princess Cruises Dawn Princess 08/21-09/13 Norovirus

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Rhapsody of the Seas 08/24-08/31 Norovirus

Carnival Cruise Line Carnival Glory 08/06-08/11 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Sun Princess 07/08-07/21 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Ruby Princess 02/26-03/04 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Crown Princess 02/04-02/09 Norovirus

Celebrity Cruises Celebrity Silhouette 01/29-02/10 Norovirus

Celebrity Cruises Celebrity Constellation 01/28-02/11 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Crown Princess 01/28-02/04 Norovirus

P & O Cruises Aurora 01/04-01/26 Norovirus

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Voyager of the Seas 01/28-02/04 Norovirus

As per the CDC the causative Agent for the gastro illness on the QM2 Christmas cruise was NoroVirus.

I copied the results below from the CDC web site.

2012Cruise Line Cruise Ship Sailing Dates Causative Agent

Cunard Line Queen Mary 2 12/22 - 01/03 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Emerald Princess 12/17 - 12/27 Norovirus

Prestige Cruise Holdings Oceania Riviera 11/15 - 11/29 Norovirus

Holland America Line Amsterdam 11/11-12/5 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Ruby Princess 10/09-10/28 Norovirus and Enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC)

Princess Cruises Dawn Princess 08/21-09/13 Norovirus

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Rhapsody of the Seas 08/24-08/31 Norovirus

Carnival Cruise Line Carnival Glory 08/06-08/11 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Sun Princess 07/08-07/21 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Ruby Princess 02/26-03/04 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Crown Princess 02/04-02/09 Norovirus

Celebrity Cruises Celebrity Silhouette 01/29-02/10 Norovirus

Celebrity Cruises Celebrity Constellation 01/28-02/11 Norovirus

Princess Cruises Crown Princess 01/28-02/04 Norovirus

P & O Cruises Aurora 01/04-01/26 Norovirus

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Voyager of the Seas 01/28-02/04 Norovirus

I am so grateful and happy that it wasn't a conspiracy after all. No doubt some on here will be disappointed.

I do not think there is any test for Norvirus, as opposed to simply "upset stomach", or sea sickness. Nor do I think that the treatment -or lack of medication by the "sick bay" is appropriate.

It is possible that as soon as someone has a "tummy" problem, it is labled Norvirus.

Any one with an upset stomach is confined to the cabin - it is not that I object to this precaution, it is that the "treatment " of these "captives" is in itself detrimental to asking for assistance from the "sickbay".

I had such an experience on board not so long ago, I eat a hamburger which dis agreed with my stomach, I had medication with me , and I took it, and stayed in my cabin, so as to be near to the bathroom. Cabin steward reported I was "sick", Dr. ordered room service to supply only his idea of food, a watery tasteless broth,and dry bread with a very thin slice of boiled chicken as a sandwich!

As to my medication, which worked wonders by the way, the Dr sniffed and said, "take that and it will only bung you up", and added"you will be confined to this cabin for 4 days"

Believe me 4 days of the so called room service diet was cruel and unnatural punishment.

I can quite understand passengers with Norvirus being reluctant to report it or seek help.

Believe me 4 days of the so called room service diet was cruel and unnatural punishment.

I can quite understand passengers with Norvirus being reluctant to report it or seek help.

So let them free to roam the ship and infect everyone else?

David.

So let them free to roam the ship and infect everyone else?

David.

No if they had Norvirus, my post was that there is no test, just the Dr opinion. In my case it was eating a hamburger on board that gave me the "gripes". My medication took care of that, but the Dr was not interested in listening .

Have you ever spent 4 days, on the room service diet as ordered by said medical "expert"?

I do not recomend it, expecially if you are traveling solo with no one to "sneak" you in a bowlof decent soup, or a BLT, or even a glass of ginger ale to quench your thirst.

Archived