East and Gulf Ports Longshoremens Strike

dag144

The longshoremen are scheduled to strike the east and Gulf ports beginning this Sunday, Dec. 29th. According the the Fort Lauderdale local paper, if the strike occurs it will not affect cruise ship traffic.

This is difficult to believe, since successful strikes usually entail some disruptions and chaos. I am scheduled to leave on the Grand on Jan 5th. I have Princess Platinum insurance which allows me to cancel my cruise for any reason.

Anyone cruising from the east or Gulf coast in the near future, should keep up with the situation. The President can call for a cooling off period, but who knows.:confused::eek:

As I understand it, the longshoremen and porters who handle cruise ship traffic operate under a different contract, that is not under negotiation. A sympathy job action is possible but not likely this early in the game and it is also not likely that strikers will interfere with their contracted brethren, as cruise ships don't fall under the cargo ship industry group.

Other than allowing possibly more time to get to the port to allow for having to get past pickets, I would not be concerned at this point.

The longshoremen are scheduled to strike the east and Gulf ports beginning this Sunday, Dec. 29th. According the the Fort Lauderdale local paper, if the strike occurs it will not affect cruise ship traffic.

This is difficult to believe, since successful strikes usually entail some disruptions and chaos. I am scheduled to leave on the Grand on Jan 5th. I have Princess Platinum insurance which allows me to cancel my cruise for any reason.

Anyone cruising from the east or Gulf coast in the near future, should keep up with the situation. The President can call for a cooling off period, but who knows.:confused::eek:

Need to clarify. It is the same union. however the port operations contract in question does not cover cruise ships, which are handled under a different sub-agreement. So disruptions are possibly, but not likely and will probably result in delays rather than cancellations should they occur.

The article on this website suggests the possibility of a lockout by the port operators. Should this occur in even one of the ports involved in the dispute, there will be big problems in all of the ports. Should this happen I doubt that there will be many cruise sailings. Glad I have Princess Platinum cruise protection!

As I understand it, the longshoremen and porters who handle cruise ship traffic operate under a different contract, that is not under negotiation. A sympathy job action is possible but not likely this early in the game and it is also not likely that strikers will interfere with their contracted brethren, as cruise ships don't fall under the cargo ship industry group.

Other than allowing possibly more time to get to the port to allow for having to get past pickets, I would not be concerned at this point.

There was a similar strike in Long Beach recently. It affected container ships, not cruise ships. I would expect similar effect with this strike. Besides, some of the ports, such as Boston, won't have cruise ships calling for months.

It might affect the loading of supplies and luggage which is done by longshoremen but I really think it will affect commercial vessels rather than passenger vessels.

Archived