Attire question

Gus12

unbelievable :eek::eek:

Not unbelievable. It is fascinating to see how many people think that wearing a T-shirt with advertising is the height of fashion.

Watching (and having to listen to half of a conversation they are having on their phone) whilst the other is texting during a meal at a restaurant that has waiters is also fascinating. And disturbing. And explains a lot about the abject mess that the country is in.

Add a backwards ball-cap and call it formal night?

It ruins the general sense of refinement. It's not an Olive Garden, it's a fine dining establishment.

In my opinion anyone who can't be bothered to adhere to stated/expected dress codes is as obnoxious as someone who talks too loud or smells.

I understand that some restaurants have stated dress codes (and you won't find me in those stuffy places such as French Laundry or Per Se) but many do not. If for some reason I did have a strong desire to go to one of those places I would of course abide by their rules, but I choose to go to more modern and trendier places to spend my big money bucks. Places such as Volt, Eleven Madison Park, Morimoto, and even steak houses such as Smith & Wolensky or Ruth's Chris do not have strict dress codes.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!!

Eleven Madison Park has a Dress Code: Smart Casual. (They also charge $195 per person, not including alcohol, so you haven't dined there if you've never spent over $150 pp. I have, and they would turn away jeans and t-shirts. Frankly they aren't hurting for business.)

Morimoto is "Upscale Casual" (which doesn't mean jeans and t-shirts!)

I think Smith & Wolensky is the only place you name that is "casual" and personally I don't think it's all "that." Definitely far from a foodies paradise.

Interesting thread !!!

Once again people's lack of common sense and curtesy just amazes me! By that I mean just how hard is it to wear a pair of slacks (nice Docker's cost less than a pair of blue jeans) and a nice collared shirt and for ladies a nice pair of slacks or fun skirt and cute top????

Growing up it was called dressing like "ladies and gentlemen" and dressing for the occasion.

Oh and while I'm at it "hats" all kinds are worn outdoors and NOT indoors and certainly not in dining rooms or other eating venues!!!

Common curtesy and respecting your fellow passengers includes following the "dress code" as set by the cruise line you choose to cruise. If you do not wish to abid by those rules then go somewhere you can wear Sports attire and blue jeans... Club Med might be a better choice!!

JMHO

PS we actually loved Club Med and dressing up there IS a clean t-shirt :)

I understand that some restaurants have stated dress codes (and you won't find me in those stuffy places such as . . . ) but many do not. If for some reason I did have a strong desire to go to one of those places I would of course abide by their rules,

That is all anybody can ask. If the place has a dress code, abide by it if you chose to go there.

The world is a more causal place which has an upside. I for one am not sorry to see pantyhose go & I have never owned a pair of gloves. But, DH & I still enjoy dressing up & while I generally don't care what others are wearing I do kind of like it when everybody is dressed up so I can enjoy the fashion parade.

Back to the OP . . . while Carnival is very casual, something more than athletic wear is recommended. You can always eat at the grill, in the buffet or from room service if you want to have dinner in workout gear or in a swimsuit & cover-up.

Just something to think about.... Most of all, you are paying to go on this vacation just like everyone else, so you are able to make the most of your vacation how you want to. Don't stress over what to wear, but I do suggest that you treat going to the MDR like you would when you want to go to a nice dinner date together. If someone else cannot look past what you are wearing, oh well. Carnival is a relaxed, less luxurious cruise line and most people on it are not going to really care what you wear.

To be honest, I did not care that my table mate wore a t-shirt. If he was having a good time and enjoying his cruise, that is all that matters.

Places such as Volt, Eleven Madison Park, Morimoto, and even steak houses such as Smith & Wolensky or Ruth's Chris do not have strict dress codes.

O.k., posters have addressed the other restaurants, but I have been to Volt many times, so I'll take that one.

Although the waitstaff wears black Converse sneakers, they do have a dress code of Business Casual, and I haven't really noticed anyone deviating from that.

It's just not that difficult to dress a bit more nicely than you would if you were eating pizza on the couch at home.

Get one pair of black slacks. Starting Wednesday, dressy clothing will be on deep discount in department stores. Get one simple dressy top, probably black. Try not to get something that will be remembered. That outfit takes care of two formal nights.

Wear those same black pants with two tops that you alternate the other five nights. Change up the look with jewelry or scarves or a cardigan if you wish.

This need not be a huge investment. Shop at Target or JCPenney or check out Macy's post-holiday sales. Buy only sale merchandise. But the value here is that you will surely need some dressier items anyway in your everyday life sooner or later.

I advise you to try at least one formal night in the Main dining room. It is a memorable experience and part of the cruising experience. If you hate it, eat in the buffet the second formal night or do room service. But you will still benefit with this basic dressier wardrobe.

Have a wonderful cruise regardless of what you decide to do.

To Gus12: Somehow, this thread has strayed away from your original question.

Since the original question had to do with what would be acceptable in the MDR on a Carnival ship, who gives a rip about the dress code at some over-priced, snobbish restaurant in New York City (or where ever)? Gus12, just go to the F.A.Q. section on Carnival's home page and read the dress code requirements for the MDR, and, if need be, print off a copy for your fiance. Then she can determine what she'll need to purchase for the cruise. I hope you and your fiance have a great cruise. Everybody else, go have a glass of wine and relax.:)

To Gus12: Somehow, this thread has strayed away from your original question.

Since the original question had to do with what would be acceptable in the MDR on a Carnival ship, who gives a rip about the dress code at some over-priced, snobbish restaurant in New York City (or where ever)? Gus12, just go to the F.A.Q. section on Carnival's home page and read the dress code requirements for the MDR, and, if need be, print off a copy for your fiance. Then she can determine what she'll need to purchase for the cruise. I hope you and your fiance have a great cruise. Everybody else, go have a glass of wine and relax.:)

Overpriced? Subjective.

Snobbish? Nope.

Deviating just a bit here but I often wonder how those who want to go to the MDR in less than the suggested attire would feel if the waiters were all dressed very casually, there were no white linens on the tables, no nice china, silverware, glasses, and no attentive service? ;)

Deviating just a bit here but I often wonder how those who want to go to the MDR in less than the suggested attire would feel if the waiters were all dressed very casually, there were no white linens on the tables, no nice china, silverware, glasses, and no attentive service? ;)

Aha!

That will be the end result. It just takes time. That time is coming.

My fiancée is a nurse and doesn't own much in the way of casual clothes outside of scrubs and t-shirts. Are t-shirts and shorts gonna fly for her in the main dining room? She has some sundresses for the steakhouse and formal night, but she doesn't want to wear those or jeans every night. We don't necessarily care what ppl think since we paid just like anyone else, but will they allow her in the main dining room with Nike shorts and a t-shirt on a Carnival cruise?

Thanks for the help with all my first-time cruiser questions!

Nike shorts, no. Dress shorts would be fine.

I have an ankle-length, black, polyester tube skirt that cost me $8.00 at a thrift shop. It's wrinkle proof, stain-proof, and goes with any colour top. On my last cruise I also wore my all-purpose skirt to the beach, and it came in darned handy. I pulled the waistband up over my shoulders and was able to wiggle out of my wet swim suit and into dry clothes under my black poly mini-tent. Which I then wore to the MDR again that night. Pretty good mileage out of one garment.

I have an ankle-length, black, polyester tube skirt that cost me $8.00 at a thrift shop. It's wrinkle proof, stain-proof, and goes with any colour top. On my last cruise I also wore my all-purpose skirt to the beach, and it came in darned handy. I pulled the waistband up over my shoulders and was able to wiggle out of my wet swim suit and into dry clothes under my black poly mini-tent. Which I then wore to the MDR again that night. Pretty good mileage out of one garment.

Hey now! I have the same type skirt! My wife won't let me wear it on a ship. She insists that I wear khakis and a Hawaiian shirt to dinner.

Simple works the best. I don't take a lot of clothes when traveling. We took a Carnival cruise in September. Unlike some other cruise lines, I didn't like the buffet for dinner so we opted to go to MDR every night. I wore same pants with different tops. On so-called "formal nights," I wore black stretch pants and simple top. Nothing fancy. I did take a nice pair of sandals to go with the outfit.

Most important is to enjoy your vacation!

My wife brings a pair of plain black workout pants and 2-3 fancy tops (sparkly or frilly) for formal wear. She says the workout pants are terrific for even late in the cruise, because of the elastic waist! :D :cool:

I absolutely agree with your wife. The stretchy black technical workout pants are just fine when you wear them with a sparkly top. If I'm going all-out - say on formal night - I also have a giant long gauzy scarf of many colours that I use to distract the attention of anyone anyone conducting style assessments and critiques. I hope to convey the question, "Yes, but did anyone care what ELSE Isadora Duncan was wearing?"

My fiancée is a nurse and doesn't own much in the way of casual clothes outside of scrubs and t-shirts. Are t-shirts and shorts gonna fly for her in the main dining room? She has some sundresses for the steakhouse and formal night, but she doesn't want to wear those or jeans every night. We don't necessarily care what ppl think since we paid just like anyone else, but will they allow her in the main dining room with Nike shorts and a t-shirt on a Carnival cruise?

Thanks for the help with all my first-time cruiser questions!

Just go with whatever makes you feel good. We are there to relax and have a good time. I am sure she will look great! Go out and buy her something she will look great in!!

Just go with whatever makes you feel good. We are there to relax and have a good time. I am sure she will look great! Go out and buy her something she will look great in!!

I agree. Taking the cruise should be FUN and is a vacation. :)

We always like the Garden Buffet so go there often. No special dress code other than must wear tops/bottoms and some kind of footwear.

We pack light (carry on only) so I often wear the same thing numerous times.

You do not HAVE to dress nice in the MDR on non formal nights. You can wear jeans and a t shirt if you want. My husband and I wore things like jeans, bermuda shorts, khakis, graphic ts... your regular clothing. We still got great service. Who cares what others think. If we got dirty looks we didnt know. You are on vacation! We did dress for formal night though. Just my opinion but I think what some people are saying is ridiculous. I know I'm not alone in this. There are many others out there who dress more so casual, they just don't comment because of the number of people here who are against it. Again I say dress how you want its vacation!

You do not HAVE to dress nice in the MDR on non formal nights. You can wear jeans and a t shirt if you want. My husband and I wore things like jeans, bermuda shorts, khakis, graphic ts... your regular clothing. We still got great service. Who cares what others think. If we got dirty looks we didnt know. You are on vacation! We did dress for formal night though. Just my opinion but I think what some people are saying is ridiculous. I know I'm not alone in this. There are many others out there who dress more so casual, they just don't comment because of the number of people here who are against it. Again I say dress how you want its vacation!

And when the dinner menu doesn't have anything better than meatloaf with a side of mocrowaved mac'n'cheez, you will know why. Because they will have downgraded the menu to fit the demographic. Plastic sporkd and paper napkins will follow.

Archived