Can non-cruising guests come on board?

dodieh

When my DD and I arrive in Whittier at the end of our Coral cruise in July, her husband and son will be there to meet us and take us to their home in Anchorage. Does anyone know if there is a way we can plan to have them come aboard for a short while just to see what the ship is like?

When my DD and I arrive in Whittier at the end of our Coral cruise in July, her husband and son will be there to meet us and take us to their home in Anchorage. Does anyone know if there is a way we can plan to have them come aboard for a short while just to see what the ship is like?

I had friends onboard this year for dinner but I knew some special people that handled my request.It is not normally done.

John....do you still have any "pull" that you could pass on my way?!;)

All I can say is that it pays to know certain officers and sail with Princess often.It results in many unexpected surprises.

Yes it can be done, although it is rare.

I was able to get permission for my ex-pat daughter to board in Southampton, by obtaining the name of the Captain, and writing a personal letter to him, explaining my reasons for asking for an exception to the standing rules.

Thanks for all your good ideas.....I will talk to DD about whether we should pursue this farther. Since I don't know any Princess officers, I am probably out of the loop for this type of favor..........:(

Yes it can be done, although it is rare.

I was able to get permission for my ex-pat daughter to board in Southampton, by obtaining the name of the Captain, and writing a personal letter to him, explaining my reasons for asking for an exception to the standing rules.

I like your attitude, Druke!

Theres another thread on this board about how important it is to stick to the "rules"...

You are a great example of how if a person simply ASKS for the "rules" to be bent, it can happen!!

I'm glad you were able to make it happen for you and your ex-pat daughter!!!

Not anymore... Back "in the day" I believe this was allowed.

That's right. When DH and I first started cruising, we were able to board other ships in port for a look-see. Most of the time, we would just walk right on board - no questions asked. Not any more.

I believe that non-sailing guests are welcome aboard to attend weddings or other special events.

Chris

I, too, was on my first cruise ship as a guest - my aunt and uncle were on a cruise that left from Tampa in the mid 1980s (on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam) and the whole family was able to come aboard and check her out. I remember the cabin being very, very tiny. I felt pretty schmantzy, though, being on a cruise ship, even for just a few hours.

But nowadays security concerns are number one. I've often wondered, though - no one seems to check that you've actually left the ship the day you disembark. They don't scan your cruise card, etc. This year we carried all our luggage off ourselves, so they didn't even have that to go by. Anyone know how they check to make sure someone doesn't hitch a ride for the next go-round? Not that we'd do such a thing...

I can remember as a child in the 50's going to a "bon voyage" party for my aunt and uncle on board their crusise ship when they went on their honeymoon. There were many such parties being thrown onboard and the ship was packed. Security? You could have walked off with the compass!

I have often wondered, though - no one seems to check that you've actually left the ship the day you disembark. They don't scan your cruise card, etc. ...

Every time we have disembarked at the end of our cruise, our cruise card was scanned. (just like it is when you leave the ship in port.)

What ship did you sail that they didn't scan your card at final disembarkation?

Every time we have disembarked at the end of our cruise, our cruise card was scanned. (just like it is when you leave the ship in port.)

What ship did you sail that they didn't scan your card at final disembarkation?

I know for sure they did not scan our cards on our latest, Island Princess, nor on NCL Dawn out of NYC last year. It didn't seem out of the ordinary, tho, because I don't specifically remember EVER having our card scanned.

Archived