11,000 outnumber town of 1,400

bobpell

While Philipsburg's own population is low they can more than handle 4 huge ships. They actually welcome the tourism and in my opinion do a very good job. I have been there with the Allure and two other ships beside the one I was on and the only place that was a bit crowded was the beach area but I have found other ports to feel far more crowded.

As for the Mega ships while it personally is not something I am interested in, it is not because of the size or numbers of passengers but rather that particular cruise line and the product they offer. RCI is running on the theory of Build it and They will Come. So far it has worked well for them and there is a whole new generation of cruisers that are enjoying their product and would not consider anything else. We are fortunate that not all cruise lines are the same and there is something for everyone. I do not begrudge them in what they are doing and as a matter of fact I believe they have learn how to handle large crowds actually better than many other cruise lined. The only people truly complaining about the number of passengers and the size is really only those that have not cruise on the Allure and the Oasis.

I was there with Lisa in March 2011 and it wasn't bad at all. At the time it was Nieuw Amsterdam (us) as well as a Solstice Class (think it may have actually been Solstice), one of the Oasis Class, one of the larger Aida ships and if I recall correctly something else was tendering. Shops and streets had a lot of people but it was better than the local mall on any given weekend.

St. Maarten is beautiful and I hope that your perception of what the streets and town will be like won't prevent you from seeing this gorgeous island. Of all the Caribbean ports I've been to up to this point, St. Maarten is the first where I've thought "if I ever had the means it would be kinda cool to move here)

We had dinner with friends on Saturday night that had just cruised on the Allure of the Seas the same week we were on Westerdam. They have also cruised on Westerdam previously, with me. They absolutely raved on and on about the Allure of the Seas. I asked them specifically about feeling crowded and waiting on line for things. They said the ship never felt crowded with the exception of a couple of the smaller lounge venues where live music was being performed, primarily the jazz bar. As far as lines, they said the wait in any line was never more than a few minutes. The only thing they did not care for was having to bother with making reservations for almost everything in advance. But, they reckoned that was the primary reason there were never any significant lines or waits for anything. Everyone is forced to plan ahead. They loved everything about the ship and are planning another cruise on it and are trying to convince us to join them. After hearing them describe the experience, we just might.

Please feel free to check out my pictorial review of the ship. It's not finished yet but there are quite a few pictures of the ship to give you an idea of just how amazing Allure of the Seas is. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755471

of course, all these passengers boost the local economy but what about the ship passengers. Nothing like taking a tour and finding you are on one of 8 buses stopping at a Kodak moment sight or bathroom.

I think many passengers who have been to isles like St Thomas or St. Maarten stay aboard the ship for peace and quiet. Yes, Lisa I think the megaship will become more popular for the ship companies.

At Havensight if you can walk down to the main road, you can flag a local jitney and ride into Char. Amalie for $1. Shopping in St Thomas used to be fun but now it is the same as any other port; Tanzanite, emeralds and diamonds. I used to bring back liquor from there but I have find good enough bargains onboard.

I think many passengers who have been to isles like St Thomas

The best thing to do is stay on board or take the ferry to St. John. St. John is much smaller with a slower pace and fewer tourists. A very enjoyable place to visit.

Having sailed on Oasis and Allure I'd say at least half the pax never even get off the ship. I didn't. I've cruised the Caribbean a zillion times; on these ships the ship is the destination. BTW they never felt crowded or had to wait in line for a long time. Don't knock it til you try it!

The best thing to do is stay on board or take the ferry to St. John. St. John is much smaller with a slower pace and fewer tourists. A very enjoyable place to visit.

When I was on Ruby Princess a couple of weeks ago I took a ship tour over to St. John for the first time ever and the island is amazing. Even though there was one other small open-air safari tour bus with us it never distracted from the quietness and solitude you felt as opposed to Charlotte Amalie. The pictures are here:

Archived