Need Advice On Driving to Ft Lauderdale

GTO-Girl

We are planning a cruise from Ft Lauderdale later on this year and will be driving from the Atlanta area. We usually sail out of Jacksonville or Port Canaveral and when driving there we prefer to go I-16 to I-95 because from where we live timewise it's the same as taking I-75 through Orlando.

When driving to Ft Lauderdale Mapquest shows the quickest way as going I-75 through Orlando and taking the Florida turnpike (with tolls) or I-95 all the way (without tolls) which they show adding about 30 more minutes.

My question is.......is one way better than the other? Appoximately how much are the tolls and would they slow us down a lot? Never driven this far South and am a little nervous about the traffic/roads, etc.

Thanks in advance for the advice.......

When driving to Ft Lauderdale Mapquest shows the quickest way as going I-75 through Orlando and taking the Florida turnpike (with tolls) or I-95 all the way (without tolls) which they show adding about 30 more minutes.

My question is.......is one way better than the other? Appoximately how much are the tolls and would they slow us down a lot?

That way (I-75 to FL Turnpike) is the better choice. Perhaps you will find this Turnpike map helpful. http://www.floridasturnpike.com/maps/UpdatedMaps2011/Mainline.pdf

The toll booths wont slow you down much - the traffic on I-95 probably will, especially as you get to South Florida. The Turnpike is definitely faster. Tolls will run "about" $15. Sorry I can't be more precise because I have a SunPass and the money is deducted from my account without my direct knowledge.

That way (I-75 to FL Turnpike) is the better choice. Perhaps you will find this Turnpike map helpful. http://www.floridasturnpike.com/maps/UpdatedMaps2011/Mainline.pdf

The toll booths wont slow you down much - the traffic on I-95 probably will, especially as you get to South Florida. The Turnpike is definitely faster. Tolls will run "about" $15. Sorry I can't be more precise because I have a SunPass and the money is deducted from my account without my direct knowledge.

Vic......would we stay on the Florida turnpike all the way to Ft Lauderdale? Mapquest is showing getting on I-95 somewhere around Ft Pierce (I believe).

Thanks for your advice so far......

We are planning a cruise from Ft Lauderdale later on this year and will be driving from the Atlanta area. We usually sail out of Jacksonville or Port Canaveral and when driving there we prefer to go I-16 to I-95 because from where we live timewise it's the same as taking I-75 through Orlando.

My question is.......is one way better than the other? Appoximately how much are the tolls and would they slow us down a lot? Never driven this far South and am a little nervous about the traffic/roads, etc.

Thanks in advance for the advice.......

Hi GTO-Girl,

We recently took the turnpike from Orlando to Port Everglades and our toll was $11.60 each way. We however got on the toll road South of Orlando, so your trip on the turnpike would cost more. Not sure how much more.

We have Sunpass so we do not have to stop at the toll plazas. I'm not sure how much time Mapquest allows for the toll booths but I can tell you the lines for the toll booths get longer the closer you get to the Fort Lauderdale area.

We used the toll road because I hate the congestion on I-95 in South Florida and find the turnpike less congested. I'm not sure what your attitude is concerning congestion, but I'm guessing that you being from the Atlanta area might laugh at what I consider congestion, especially since I have driven in Atlanta.

My suggestion to you would be to take a non-toll road route and save $20+ and use that money to treat yourself to a nice pre-cruise drink when you get on-board your ship.

If you decide to take the turnpike, I would suggest you purchase a SunPass Mini Sticker Transponder for $4.99. That way you can bypass the toll booths and save a little time. You can order online from this link. I have no idea how long it takes to receive it in the mail, but you can set up an account and activate it online.

Have a great cruise.

Vic......would we stay on the Florida turnpike all the way to Ft Lauderdale? Mapquest is showing getting on I-95 somewhere around Ft Pierce (I believe).

Thanks for your advice so far......

My car navigation has me exit at Ft Pierce too, but stay on the turnpike until Exit 54 for FL-84E/I-595E.

Use Google Maps.

Hi GTO-Girl,

We recently took the turnpike from Orlando to Port Everglades and our toll was $11.60 each way. We however got on the toll road South of Orlando, so your trip on the turnpike would cost more. Not sure how much more.

We have Sunpass so we do not have to stop at the toll plazas. I'm not sure how much time Mapquest allows for the toll booths but I can tell you the lines for the toll booths get longer the closer you get to the Fort Lauderdale area.

We used the toll road because I hate the congestion on I-95 in South Florida and find the turnpike less congested. I'm not sure what your attitude is concerning congestion, but I'm guessing that you being from the Atlanta area might laugh at what I consider congestion, especially since I have driven in Atlanta.

My suggestion to you would be to take a non-toll road route and save $20+ and use that money to treat yourself to a nice pre-cruise drink when you get on-board your ship.

If you decide to take the turnpike, I would suggest you purchase a SunPass Mini Sticker Transponder for $4.99. That way you can bypass the toll booths and save a little time. You can order online from this link. I have no idea how long it takes to receive it in the mail, but you can set up an account and activate it online.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the info on the Sun Pass!!!

We are actually 35 miles east of Atlanta and I absolutely do not go to Atlanta (unless I have to), because of the traffic. I'm not good with all that crazyness.......:o......

The two roads do parallel each other quite closely. It a toss up as to what you do at that point. Pro: save a "little" on tolls. Con: Experience more traffic and slower going. Your choice.

The only way to save $20+ would be to take SR 528 (in Orlando) over to I-95 and then south all the way. This would take you approximately 40-50 miles out of the way in order to pick up I-95. Oh yes, SR 528 is a toll road too. Tolls from I-4 in Orlando would be in the neighborhood of $5.

The SunPass mini is a good idea. It can actually save you a little on tolls.

Another vote for Sunpass mini and the turnpike from orlando to I-595.

Please forgive my ignorance but I have one more question. On the Sunpass mini, I understand I put this on the windshield and it allows us to go through on the Sun Pass lane.

So how do I pay the tolls I incur?

Again I apologize, just have never done this before......:o

Please forgive my ignorance but I have one more question. On the Sunpass mini, I understand I put this on the windshield and it allows us to go through on the Sun Pass lane.

So how do I pay the tolls I incur?

Again I apologize, just have never done this before......:o

It's quite easy. When you register it online, you link it to your credit card. You can even choose an automatic refill option so that when your balance goes below a certain level, your credit card will be charged a refill amount of your choosing. Since you live out of state, I would pick a low amount, like $10, rather than something higher (e.g. $25) which would take you much longer to use.

Another option as an out of town tourist is to pay cash at the tolls where available, or if no attendant is available drive through the sun-pass lane and "Smile," :) a camara will take a photo of tag and the State of FL will mail you a bill along with a small service charge of a couple of dollars for mailing bill which is less than the $4.99 for the mini sunpass. This works if you will not be a frequent offender. ;)

That's how it worked out for us. :rolleyes::D

This method is NOT recommened in a rental car however, as the rental agencies add their fee and pad the bill enormously.

Another option as an out of town tourist is to pay cash at the tolls where available, or if no attendant is available drive through the sun-pass lane and "Smile," :) a camara will take a photo of tag and the State of FL will mail you a bill along with a small service charge of a couple of dollars for mailing bill which is less than the $4.99 for the mini sunpass. This works if you will not be a frequent offender. ;)

That's how it worked out for us. :rolleyes::D

This method is NOT recommened in a rental car however, as the rental agencies add their fee and pad the bill enormously.

Thanks for the advice but since I am a police officer GTO-Girl and I prefer to just get the Sun Pass mini and do it the correct way, even if it means paying a couple of extra dollars.

Blowing through the Sun Pass lane and pleading ignorance just doesn't sit too well with us.

but thanks for the advice anyway......

Thanks for the advice but since I am a police officer GTO-Girl and I prefer to just get the Sun Pass mini and do it the correct way, even if it means paying a couple of extra dollars.

Blowing through the Sun Pass lane and pleading ignorance just doesn't sit too well with us.

but thanks for the advice anyway......

Please allow me to explain... We did not intend to "Blow through" anything. It is not like GA 400 where you have an option to pay the toll OR go through the Sunpass lane. We have driven down to FL for decades and always paid All the tolls (there are many collections points along the way). However, on our last trip on some portions of the highway and exits further south they have removed ALL attendants and baskets that collect toll/coins and the ONLY option is "Sun Pass." It came up so fast, and without warning or a chance to exit, we could do nothing as unsuspecting out of town tourists except drive on through. I was worried we were going to be slapped with a huge fine. When I returned home I discovered this problem has been discussed on this message board. That is how I learned about people in rental cars getting hit for hundreds of dollars for the same thing from the rental agencies.

I was relieved when the bill arived with a small service charge plus the tolls. I guess the State does not want to bite the unsuspecting tourist hand that feeds them too badly so they tally up your tolls and mail you a bill.

I live in central Florida. I bought my Sun Pass at CVS. Just put it on the windshield. You just drive right through the line for Sun Pass. It makes a beeping sound as you pass thru. It takes the toll off of your account. Very easy! Turnpike is good road and fast. Takes about 4 hours from Leesburg, Fl

There is a shuttle bus with pickups throughout the Florida area. Just found out it would cost $100 a person from central Florida. So we plan to drive to Ft Lauderdale this year.

The shuttle bus recomended by Princess is 888-501-5388

Archived