Increased pricing

Regent has been increasing prices on some itineraries at the beginning of every quarter for quite some time. Generally the prices go up on sailings that are selling well. Not sure if other luxury lines do the same thing....... if they do, they probably don't advertise the upcoming increases as much as Regent does:confused: IMO, prices will continue to increase as long as there are "included" excursions.

Regent has been increasing prices on some itineraries at the beginning of every quarter for quite some time. Generally the prices go up on sailings that are selling well. Not sure if other luxury lines do the same thing....... if they do, they probably don't advertise the upcoming increases as much as Regent does.

Jackie,

Crystal has been doing the same thing since early last year! It seems that the increases are only on sailings that are selling well. Of course the two cruises I have booked for this year have gone up but I booked early so not an issue.

Nancy

Regent not only raised the price of our upcoming Panama Canal cruise they also changed the categories. Our cabin that originally was a CAT F is now a CAT E. Of course, this doesn't effect us since room was booked months ago but a new booking would be paying considerably more. Pricing on this cruise has risen several times since our early booking. Afraid if this continues we're going to have to consider other lines in the future and I also love the Regent product.

Regent not only raised the price of our upcoming Panama Canal cruise they also changed the categories. Our cabin that originally was a CAT F is now a CAT E. Of course, this doesn't effect us since room was booked months ago but a new booking would be paying considerably more. Pricing on this cruise has risen several times since our early booking. Afraid if this continues we're going to have to consider other lines in the future and I also love the Regent product.

Now that your suite is a category "E", you will be in a Concierge level suite and receive the benefits. Good that you booked early!

If this the same as ours...Apr 22 2013 Miami-San Francisco, we noticed the same thing.

Fortunately we booked at the original price, if there was ever an original price.

Now that your suite is a category "E", you will be in a Concierge level suite and receive the benefits. Good that you booked early!

Wish that was true but we're on the Navigator and Concierge level doesn't kick in until category "D".

Wish that was true but we're on the Navigator and Concierge level doesn't kick in until category "D".

Sorry -- haven't been on the Navigator since the Concierge program went into effect. Still glad that you booked the cruise before the increase:)

The India cruise we were booked on for 4/1/13 has increased $5,000! Of course it is waitlisted. Our TA told us we canceled 1 day late and are stuck with a $3,000 something deposit that we can't get back. I actually e-mailed her late on a Fri. night. Heard back from her on a Sunday she said it was the 121 day. We had till the 120th day before the cruise. Expensive lesson learned. They made an exception & agreed to apply it to a balance of another cruise. We are interested in one for Aug. But, they want another full deposit and won't apply this one toward the new deposit. $20,000 to $30,000 is an awful lot of money for a 12 night cruise! If the pricing goes up on this one; we will just lose our original deposit. I'm done with Regent. There are plently of other cruiselines that do. the same itineraries.

What a shame your TA gave you incorrect information.

What a blessing that Regent is giving you 100% credit for your investment.

You actually have come out better than allowed by the written cancellation policy:

From date of deposit to 121 days prior to vacation date: $200 per booking administration fee. This admin fee will be converted to a Future Cruise Credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation and for travel any time.

120-91 days prior to vacation date: 15% of fare per person

Even if you had cancelled at day 121, you still were going to be "out" $200, redeemable only as a credit.

Now if you would rather just cancel, walk away from Regent and be done with it, the difference between $3000 (presume that amount for 2 people) at 15% penalty = $450 per couple sunk cost and the sunk cost at 121+ days cancellation of $200 is really not all that great ($250) - especially in light of the multiple amount required to fully deposit and then final payment a new cruise. ---It seems that people who are this unhappy this early before a cruise are never fully able to put their bitterness aside and enjoy. Hope you are an exception to this.

All of the math out the window, I personally would count my blessings that I was given grace on the cancellation and got my full deposit as a credit, find another cruise on Regent within my time and budget, and have a fantastic time!

The India cruise we were booked on for 4/1/13 has increased $5,000! Of course it is waitlisted. Our TA told us we canceled 1 day late and are stuck with a $3,000 something deposit that we can't get back. I actually e-mailed her late on a Fri. night. Heard back from her on a Sunday she said it was the 121 day. We had till the 120th day before the cruise. Expensive lesson learned. They made an exception & agreed to apply it to a balance of another cruise. We are interested in one for Aug. But, they want another full deposit and won't apply this one toward the new deposit. $20,000 to $30,000 is an awful lot of money for a 12 night cruise! If the pricing goes up on this one; we will just lose our original deposit. I'm done with Regent. There are plently of other cruiselines that do. the same itineraries.

Maybe I've misread your post but it appears that you cancelled because there was a large price increase on your 4/1/13 cruise. I hope your TA didn't mislead you into thinking that you were subject to price increases on a Regent cruise after you book and pay a deposit for the cruise. If so, I suggest you look around for a more knowledgeable TA.

ededmd,

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken but when Regent says the penalty for a cancellation between 120 and 90 days before the cruise is 15% of the fare per person, I believe the reference to "fare" is to the total cruise fare and not the deposit.

Ah, thanks Dave.

The walk away price is still going to be less than the further investment cost.

And if something supposed to bring joy is causing so much angst, (to quote Kenny Rogers), "you have to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em."

Here's hoping all of us find our cruise joy in 2013!

No, they hadn't increased the price when we canceled. It wasn't our TA's fault. We have a very good TA in Dallas. Her specality is Regent. We canceled because we were reading posts from CC passengers that were doing the same cruise we were booked for 4/1/13. Only they did theirs in Dec. They were saying how hot & humid it was every day, and that was DEC. can you imagine April? We can take heat but not humidity. That is why we canceled. We are looking for another cruise but haven't found one we really like yet. It was when I was looking online that I saw how much the prices had gone up.

It wasn't our TA's fault. We have a very good TA in Dallas. Her specality is Regent.

Her special Regent relationship is likely the reason you were given the exemption on your cancellation timing.

Good luck finding your ideal cruise!

Archived