Caribbean Princess Review 12/22 to 12/29

SAC69

The owner’s suite was outstanding, nicely furnished and very clean and I love being on the stern. The balcony was huge with two wood loungers, round table and four chairs. I tried to find pictures of it on line for months and could never find anything other than the cabin on the Ruby and Crown but I knew they were the same as the CB. I’ll post pictures if I can figure out how to do it. Our room attendant “Arnel” stopped by to introduce himself. More on him later, but my suggestion would be if you have “Arnel” as your attendant call guest services and ask for someone else. We all went up to the adult’s only aft pool to enjoy sail away and then down to our balcony for some champagne. We were the first ship to depart.

We were on the CB beginning of Oct. on Canada/New England cruise. Not sure how often Princess moves around the cabin stewards, but I think "Arnel" is the same one we had unless there are two. We had an OV cabin this time and he was the worst cabin steward we have ever had.

So we agree with our comment.

Enjoyed your review. Hoping to do this cruise in 2014, but have been to Aruba and Curacao before and would love to go again.

We also thought the crew was a cut above. Sail Away, Balloon Drop, and Ultimate Deck Parties were fantastic.

Party band Epithani played a wide variety of music-from island and country line dances, to Motown,to Latin, to slow and smooth in the Explorer's Lounge. Great for dancing.

Princess Orchestra played holiday jazz on deck 5.

Our cabin steward, Desmond, did a great job for our suite. Friendly and efficient.

Breakfast at Sabatini's was a highlight of the day.:)

We had late seating at 8:15PM and our servers were Monika and Julie. They were both very good, but Monika did have a little bit of an edge to her. One night Julie brought me the wrong appetizer (not a big deal) and I mentioned it to her. I looked over at Monika and she was giving Julie the stare of death like she had been caught committing a hideous crime and Julie quickly ran for the right appetizer. Their service all week was consistently fast and efficient.

Rude or Indifferent People:

This was the thing that bothered us most on this cruise. This is the Christmas season, you get on an elevator and you say Merry Christmas and you get back a rude stare and silence. You’ve got a plate of food and see a table with nothing on it except a half empty glass. You go to sit down and a woman yells out loudly from the pizza line 30 feet away that that’s her table. You comment that there’s nothing on the table that shows it’s taken and the response is..Do you want to make something out of it?

We were also on this cruise and agree with your comments. I was surprised to read that your waitstaff was Monica and Julia, as they were also our waitstaff in the Palm, just during early seating. They were both very efficient and nice, but you could tell Monica was much more serious about everything and Julia much more easygoing and light. Her memory for our preferences was outstanding, and I must give her a lot of credit considering how many tables the two of them had.

The rude people on this cruise were just too much, I agree 100%. The etiquette of some people in the elevators and lines was atrocious, and the "me first" behavior was off the charts. We have done many Christmas cruises with Princess and this was by far the worst when it came to fellow passengers. Unlike you, we had a lot of issues with the children onboard (for the first time ever) and I think it was due to having so many onboard and so many lazy parents who were on vacation from parenting.

Just wanted to say that not all Christmas cruises are like this in terms of rude folks. But, I will also say that this will be our first and last Christmas cruise that's only 7 days.

Good job on the review. Do you happen to remember the name of the tour that you took on Curacao?

No sorry, but I think they are pretty much all the same. They lined up right next to the gift shop. Make sure to ask if they drop you at the hotel at the end. That's the real bonus.

We were on the CB beginning of Oct. on Canada/New England cruise. Not sure how often Princess moves around the cabin stewards, but I think "Arnel" is the same one we had unless there are two. We had an OV cabin this time and he was the worst cabin steward we have ever had.

So we agree with our comment.

Enjoyed your review. Hoping to do this cruise in 2014, but have been to Aruba and Curacao before and would love to go again.

I'm willing to bet it's the same Arnel. Glad to hear it wasn't just me and my DW who thought he was terrible. I wrote him up on the Pricess survey I got via email.

Thank you so much for your reply - just one more question. Were you allowed to use the beach at that hotel because you were on a previous tour? I am thinking that perhaps the tour guide has some sort of arrangement with the hotel?

I would just take the chance and walk in. I would think they would like you to spend money at their bar and restaurant. Or, take the $20 tour and be assured you will end up there. It's really worth it. Have fun.

Looking forward to getting to some warm weather. Just saw video on board and it looks like we will have a great time. Have cruised with Princess several times and have always

been pleased. Would like feed back on tours in Curaco and Aruba.

We also thought the crew was a cut above. Sail Away, Balloon Drop, and Ultimate Deck Parties were fantastic.

Party band Epithani played a wide variety of music-from island and country line dances, to Motown,to Latin, to slow and smooth in the Explorer's Lounge. Great for dancing.

Princess Orchestra played holiday jazz on deck 5.

Our cabin steward, Desmond, did a great job for our suite. Friendly and efficient.

Breakfast at Sabatini's was a highlight of the day.:)

Yes I agree that the music was great. The singers in the Piaza were wonderful.

I would just take the chance and walk in. I would think they would like you to spend money at their bar and restaurant. Or, take the $20 tour and be assured you will end up there. It's really worth it. Have fun.

Thank you for the answers to my questions. We will try to use the beach at the hotel, if not we will head to Kon Tiki Beach.

Sorry but I don't remember the name. But it is truly easy to find. Go out to the main road once you leave the ship turn left and walk about 300 yards. You will see the hotel. Just walk straight through the lobby to the beach.

I'm not sure that this is the one OP was referring to, but some years back we went to a hotel nearby on the left of the cruise terminal called Holiday Beach. While it wasn't the nicest beach ever, it was pleasant and since we bought drinks, they seemed happy to let us use their facilities.

On another trip to Curaco after that one, we went to differnt beach that was a short taxi ride away, but was to the right of the terminal. Not 100% sure of the name but it might have been Mambo Beach. Whatever the name was, it was a nicer beach and there were beach chairs for rent and facilities where you could buy drinks, etc. Topless bathers were permitted at this beach so if this is an issue (pro or con:)) for you, please be aware.

Either one was good, just depends on how far from the ship you wish to go.

I'm not sure that this is the one OP was referring to, but some years back we went to a hotel nearby on the left of the cruise terminal called Holiday Beach. While it wasn't the nicest beach ever, it was pleasant and since we bought drinks, they seemed happy to let us use their facilities.

On another trip to Curaco after that one, we went to differnt beach that was a short taxi ride away, but was to the right of the terminal. Not 100% sure of the name but it might have been Mambo Beach. Whatever the name was, it was a nicer beach and there were beach chairs for rent and facilities where you could buy drinks, etc. Topless bathers were permitted at this beach so if this is an issue (pro or con:)) for you, please be aware.

That has to be the hotel. Very convenient with full facilities within sight of the ship. Decent snorkeling too.

Anybody on this cruise have anything to report on the bands? Did you see Quatro Tempo in the Wheelhouse?

Only stopped in the WH briefly on this trip, but noted that the group's (Quatro?) drummer was excellent.

The ship's orch was typically terrific particularly for the "Born to be Wild" show and the excellent guest act - Horizon (a Motown tribute act). The ship's band just cranks it out never missing a beat.

There was the usually Caribbean band - not bad with the steel drum set up on Deck 15.

Didn't beach it in Curacao this trip (took the ship's Sunset cruise tour, which was nice) but in Aruba, based on advice in the destinations threads, we took the city bus ($2.30ea one-way) which was a very short walk from the pier (the greeter in the terminal will guide you) to MVC - Tulip Restaurant (maybe 10 minutes away). That's Eagle Beach and you can rent a chair for $10 and use the facilities across the street (shower, WC, restaurant). The beach was superb - soft white powder sand right into the water, no coral or rocks. We thought this was a wonderful bargain for a great beach day. The bus runs through out the day in both directions. We camped under a tree in shade, but don't forget your sunscreen! It's an intense sun down there.

Archived