Tuna Fish .....

sail7seas

... Sad all the foods that have disappeared from menus and Lido. We are lucky to have once enjoyed those wonderful foods but that is no more, it seems.

Oh well, 'tis better to have had and lost it than never to have had it at all. :D

Yes, indeed! Snickers pie, hutsput mit klapstuks, gouda and edam in the bar on Dutch Night, etc., etc. We miss those things, and many others ... but to be fair, we don't miss the wait in the terminal until 2 p.m. or so to hear our number called to board, nor the more-recent shuffle of carry-ons while trying to score a chicken leg and salad at the Lido until our rooms were ready. HAL has changed over the years ... I am ambivalent if that is good, or bad, or both.

Dave

Yes, indeed! Snickers pie, hutsput mit klapstuks, gouda and edam in the bar on Dutch Night, etc., etc. We miss those things, and many others ... but to be fair, we don't miss the wait in the terminal until 2 p.m. or so to hear our number called to board, nor the more-recent shuffle of carry-ons while trying to score a chicken leg and salad at the Lido until our rooms were ready. HAL has changed over the years ... I am ambivalent if that is good, or bad, or both.

Dave

You're killing me, Dave. :D

Cappuccino Bomb

Dover Sole

Snickers Pie

key Lime Pie

Calves Liver

Vichyssoise

Bami Goreng........

Soooo good.

Oh, that snickers pie. That was to die for. I still remember it all these years later. I think that's the best dessert HAL ever had. Just as well, I won't need to butter my butt as much to get thru the door after the cruise:D;):eek:.

+ 1 :D

Sheila,

Did you find the AK Mak crackers?

Yes, I found them at Fresh Market, Judy. Right beside the Rye Crisp that I usually buy! I don't mind throwing in a few items we enjoy and then swapping out the space on our return home with any purchases we might make on our cruise.

:) Happy you found them, Sheila. Hope you like them. I think them delicious. There are also a few flavors of Wasa crackers I buy that are good choices. I check the nutrition labels are some are higher calorie than others. :)

Still speaking of crackers......

HAL used to serve RyKrisp crackers in individually wrapped packages of two. Low calorie and cholesterol and decent fiber but they are getting more scarce. I find them sometimes but not nearly as often as I used to. On Vista ships, they are either served in the area where they have the wedges of cheese and fruit. On other ships, they are at the end of the hot serving station near the condiments IF they are in stock and being offered at all. Delicious crackers IMO

:) Happy you found them, Sheila. Hope you like them. I think them delicious. There are also a few flavors of Wasa crackers I buy that are good choices. I check the nutrition labels are some are higher calorie than others. :)

Still speaking of crackers......

HAL used to serve RyKrisp crackers in individually wrapped packages of two. Low calorie and cholesterol and decent fiber but they are getting more scarce. I find them sometimes but not nearly as often as I used to. On Vista ships, they are either served in the area where they have the wedges of cheese and fruit. On other ships, they are at the end of the hot serving station near the condiments IF they are in stock and being offered at all. Delicious crackers IMO

When I referred to "my usual Rye Krisp", I meat Wasa. That's what I grew up on...very Swedish! Lately we've been buying a flatbread cracker at Fresh Market that's also very good. I believe they have something similar at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

i'm old enough to remember when 'a can of tuna, was a can of tuna.' it all tasted good. but, recently, i decided to go 'retro' and re-create some goodies i enjoyed as a child and teenager. so. . . . i bought some cans of tuna to make tuna salad and tuna casserole. i didn't know albacore from white from dark, from anything. well, when i opened those cans the smell knocked me over; and i had to throw it all away. i also remember canned salmon, with those great bones which were soft and yummy, which were given to the kids. i still eat the salmon on hal, which salmon i usually find very tasty, but now i'll stay away from the yuckky tuna; salty, smelly, and gross tasting. but i won't be bringing my own, bags, cans, or otherwise; i lived without canned tuna for years. but in bags? and egg salad in bags? omg, that is just awful. i wouldn't keep egg salad, fresh made, in my refrig more than a day or two.

Tuna comes in both oil pack and water pack - the oil pack will send out that more pungent aroma. Perhaps this is what you opened? Personally, I like the oil pack (Trader Joe's house brand) and use it often in a very delicious cold tuna-white bean Italian salad, or an equally delicious micro-wave potato warm French Salad Niscoise.

I may have missed the response but I asked the poster who wrote they get the tuna and egg salad ready made in bags how they knew that was the case. I am not doubting them but am interested how they know that? Sorry if the question was answered and I missed it.

But it raises another question for me and is another reason I asked about the veracity of that point is what other food is all made and ready but for heating it up?

Am I carrying the image of 'ready made' too far or are many of our meals purchased in cryovac packages ready for warming/heating? I have an image of some of the fish dinners that I could be persuaded came fully prepared and ready for a cookie sheet to be placed in the oven for warming. Am I exaggerating that 'tuna in the bag' image and extending it beyond the believable?

Are the chefs really cooking all that food from scratch everyday? Some of that food? Little of the food?

Many items I am very sure they are cooking but I can picture some dishes that are 'ready to go'.

Same here on the albacore.

I enjoyed the post. I don't eat much tuna. Perhaps it is because I have bought the wrong kind. Prior to now I thought a can of tuna was a can of tuna. I will buy albacore next time. I do know about salmon however. I prefer the King Salmon and won't buy the farmed salmon.

I'll have to refer the Ak-Mak folks to this thread and see if I can't at least get a care pkg from them for pitching their product *S*

As for the poster who said that carting this stuff was kind of crazy as there were decent lo- cal choices on board..... I agree, but in our case we have found that what has worked for us is to have to make as few choices as possible re food, at least while we are dieting. We brought greek yogurt and Special K protein bars on board with us as well. Just because we know those are good options for us that don't require a whole lot of thought.

Down 12 inches in my waist since March, so carting along my groceries wasn't an ordeal at all.

I'll have to refer the Ak-Mak folks to this thread and see if I can't at least get a care pkg from them for pitching their product *S*

As for the poster who said that carting this stuff was kind of crazy as there were decent lo- cal choices on board..... I agree, but in our case we have found that what has worked for us is to have to make as few choices as possible re food, at least while we are dieting. We brought greek yogurt and Special K protein bars on board with us as well. Just because we know those are good options for us that don't require a whole lot of thought.

Down 12 inches in my waist since March, so carting along my groceries wasn't an ordeal at all.

Congratulations! That's awesome.

WELL DONE, MIKE.

You'll have to carry around a rubber chicken when next we cruise together or I won't recognize you and DW. :D I'm so happy for you. Keep up the good work!!!!

What a wonderful gift you are giving yourselves as you approach your pending retirement. Everything wonderful awaits you.

michmike, you bring up an important distinction between taste/choice and medical/health need. A seven day cruise poses few problems because there are a lot of healthy choices on board. A longer cruise makes me think a bit more about things.

Someone suggested bran muffins and figs to me, but in general, a bran muffin contains almost my whole day's allotment of carbs. One fig is a whole meal on my menu, due to carbs. On a shorter cruise I generally have an omelet for breakfast, but that gets old if you're on a much longer cruise. When I did South America/Antarctica a couple of years ago, I realized this problem as the cruise was 17 days. Breakfast, when I am most carb sensitive, was the biggest challenge.

I was sort of joking about bringing my Fiber One, but it might be a good option if I do a longer cruise again.

Tuna comes in both oil pack and water pack - the oil pack will send out that more pungent aroma. Perhaps this is what you opened? Personally, I like the oil pack (Trader Joe's house brand) and use it often in a very delicious cold tuna-white bean Italian salad, or an equally delicious micro-wave potato warm French Salad Niscoise.

Thanks for explaining that. I always eat the water packed tuna so maybe that's why I can't understand the rank shell that some are talking about.

You guessed it, he lost weight on the cruise! I only gained 3 pounds in a month, so I thought I did pretty well. I had lattes (skim, of course), dessert most nights, and varied the main course. I applaud DH's discipline, but it seemed boring after a few days.

It's really all about the individual and their palate needs. I'm like your husband. I could order the exact same thing night after night and be fine with that, because I'd rather eat something I know is good, then end up with something that made me wish I ordered my usual. :-)

Some of us are boring when it comes to food. I am one of them LOL.

I went to Stop and Shop just now and bought 1/a packet of albacore white tuna, 2) a packet of yellow fin tuna in olive oil, and 3) a packet pink salmon. If I get bored, I will do a "taste test" and post my findings. Otherwise, in the suitcase they go for our cruise!

I was shocked - they had two shelves of tuna in packets of various and sundry varieties.

I went to Stop and Shop just now and bought 1/a packet of albacore white tuna, 2) a packet of yellow fin tuna in olive oil, and 3) a packet pink salmon. If I get bored, I will do a "taste test" and post my findings. Otherwise, in the suitcase they go for our cruise!

I was shocked - they had two shelves of tuna in packets of various and sundry varieties.

Happy you found a sampling to try. :)

Anyone know FOR SURE if these packets are permitted in carryon bags to fly? Those packets would just about totally fill the 3 oz zip loc permitted in carryons for liquids/gels.

I'm not sure if someone might not call them 'not permitted'.

Of course, they can be packed in checked luggage.

A poster here some years ago gave this wonderful rule for cruise ship dining:

Eat the following portions:

1/4 if it is just okay

1/2 if it is good

All of it, only if it is fantastic and you will never get it again.

That other rather inscrutable rule that allegedly governs Japanese diets is: leave the table when you are 80% full.

(The body takes approximately 20 minutes after eating to register that it is satiated, so knowing when that 80% point is the tricky part, but I get it - stop eating before you feel full, not after.)

Archived