Costa Rican shore excursions

r&rd

People on several threads have asked about the shore excursions and things to do on the Costa Rican/Panama Canal cruise. We disembark tomorrow and thought I would share a few tips before I forget. In Bahia Drake many people opted for the marine wildlife boat trip. They added boats to accommodate the passengers wanting to go. The boats are very small bench only type wooden boats that are not very comfortable and don't provide great share even though there is a tarp overhead. The only wildlife seen was a turtle and a few dolphins. The stop at the "beach" had no where to sit for an hour. People who did the hikes enjoyed doing so. Others opted to hike by themselves - there is a beach within walking distance (20 minutest- but a little rugged). The naturalist also lead some people on a hike. In Golfito most people were satisfied with all the tours (some thought the drive to the zip line was more dangerous that the zip line but enjoyed it). There is absolutely nothing to do or see on your own in Golfito. The town is small, poor and about a 20 minute hike from the ship. A few people arranged for a private deep,sea fishing excursion.

The beach party on Isla Coiba was great. You can do water sports, hike or just relax on a very beautiful beach.

Canal is a great experience. For those going west to east - be prepared that the time you go under the Bridge of the Americas may be 3 am due to having togounder at low tide. First locks were at 6 am.

The San Blas island is very tiny, not much to do but there is a nice beach. Sme people took a water taxi to different islands. deck barbeque was the last night.

Hope this helps those going in the future. Have a great cruise!

Thanks for your helpful post! We are relaxing at the gorgeous Trump hotel in Panama city and will be heading to Colon tomorrow for our Panama Canal cruise. Just a question about Golfito: was the water sports platform available that day in Port?

Also- we visited the Miraflores locks and museum today- it was well worth it and the 3d short film was fun. The simulator was the best part of the museum! You mention the canal transit as going from "west to east" but actually we will be doing the "north to south bound" transit. The other direction is south to north( panama City to Colon).

I know this is confusing but if you look at a map it makes sense .

Happy cruising!

Julie

Yes, the sports platform was in operation. Diving and snorkeling were also good in Isla Coiba and San Blas . And you are right about the directions - being a west coast girl I see everything as west to east. So though mostly north to south it is also a little west to east! Have a great trip. Hopefully the weather will stay nice for you. We heard it rained the last six weeks. Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the info. We already booked the marine wildlife excursion, but now I want to cancel it. I did not expect an uncomfortable wooden bench seat boat - for the price I expect a nicer boat. much like the small tour boats we enjoyed in the Caribbean. Sounds like we need to book a tour in Golfito. Appreciate your comments.

We toured day before our cruise

Our driver Mario ( we booked through Fernando kelly) (507-65038268 Fekelley2006@yahoo.com )took us to miraflores locks

Their is an opportunity to view ships coming through the locks and a neat museum including a very cool simulator. Also a 15 minute 3 d movie- all well worthwhile!

After we went to the panama canal authority building to see the murals then to the causeway. We had lunch at a great restaurant on the last island I believe. On the right outside under a huge palapa- the one with all the people!

The fish was delicious! Met a couple on board who went to see the embers Indian village and loved it as well.

Probably will not be able to post again as Internet is slow on ship

We are in Coiba today- we sailed from panama city all through the night and all day yesterday- no power- just sails which was lovely.

Food, service all wonderful. Happy cruising.

We also did the locks, the mural, old panama city, colonial panama and lunch at the end of the causeway. The second day we did a hike through the Metropolitan park to see wildlife and have some wonderful views of the city. We had intended to go to the Embera Indian villages but my husband wasn't feeling well. We used Sentero Panama tours. We had a guide and driver (Rina and Elvis) - they were extremely flexible and accommodating - took us everywhere we wanted to go. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Panama and how much there is to see. I wish I had had another day. There is also a HOHO bus. Many of the sights are not easy to get to on your own.

Renee

Will be leaving for our cruise on Thursday- so excited. Do you recommend any tours in Panama?

Thanks,

Kathy

Kathy-I am very curious about your cruise as we disembarked jan 12th

i was curious because i thought the jan 12th cruise was san juan del sur nicaragua and other ports in Costa Rica then returning to Caldera rather than transiting the canal and ending in Colon. Look forward to hearing you post when you return.

Archived