Booked the Holland Y4T 19-Day Dawson/Denali Plus

Howasaur

We have cruised Alaska before month of May 7 day's on the Ryndam years past but decided to try and see a little bit more of Alaska. Has anyone done this tour we are going in July tour first and departing from Port Seward (Anchorage) back to Vancouver.I understand they have some excursions set-up for the Land tour part.

1, I heard pro's and con's regarding The food package offered by Holland I believe they quoted $465.00 per person I think we going to pass on the Pkg.

2. We saw many con's in regards to doing the land part by Car but due to circumstances cannot so going with the tour

3. We are hoping to see great scenery and wildlife.

We are in the planning stages at the moment Does anyone have any suggestions

We've booked the same Y4T Dawson/Denali Plus 19 day cruisetour. We're doing the land tour first followed by the cruise on the Statendam from Seward to Vancouver. Land tour June 27th to Jul 7, Cruise July 7-14th.

I decided not to go with the Meal package. It was $429US and you only get 6 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 6 dinners. That works out to be an average of $33 per meal.

We're also coming out a day early to get accustomed to the 4 hr time change for us and see some of Vancouver before the tour starts. We are also staying over for 2 additional days post cruise to see more of Vancouver and also take a day trip to Victoria.

The included tours are:

1. Dawson - Klondike Spirit

2. Fairbanks - Gold Dredge in AM and Riverboat in PM

3. Denali - Tundra Wilderness Tour (8 hrs)

I plan to take a flight seeing excursion in Denali to increase my chances of seeing Mt. McKinley. I also plan to take the small boat excursion in Juneau to Tracy Arm.

We have cruised Alaska before month of May 7 day's on the Ryndam years past but decided to try and see a little bit more of Alaska. Has anyone done this tour we are going in July tour first and departing from Port Seward (Anchorage) back to Vancouver.I understand they have some excursions set-up for the Land tour part.

1, I heard pro's and con's regarding The food package offered by Holland I believe they quoted $465.00 per person I think we going to pass on the Pkg.

2. We saw many con's in regards to doing the land part by Car but due to circumstances cannot so going with the tour

3. We are hoping to see great scenery and wildlife.

We are in the planning stages at the moment Does anyone have any suggestions

We took this same tour last May/Jun.

1. Depending on your eating habits, the dining package may or may not be a good deal. What you get are coupons to be used in specified dining rooms (usually in the hotels you are staying in). Prices are quite high in the Yukon/Alaska, so it could be a good idea if you're big eaters. DH & I aren't particularly big eaters, so we didn't get the package. We hit the grocery store in Whitehorse the first day there and bought, sweet rolls, fruit, juice, sodas, crackers, peanut butter, cheese. We found most days the tours we were taking included either lunch or dinner, so with our own supplies we were fine. Our food budget went quite far that way. And we saved our big eating for the ship.

2. We enjoyed traveling with the group on the coach. They are not cramped like regular busses, or even the typical tour bus. The space between the seats was quite big. In fact, my short legs couldn't really reach the foot rest on the seat ahead of my, so I used my backpack for my feet.

3. We are so doing this same tour again, next time more mid season, since we've now been there in September and May.

:)

Don't mean to hijack your thread.

I have a tipping question for anyone who has taken a Cruise Tour.

What amounts do you tip while on the land portion of the Cruise Tour for the Bus Driver, the Tour Concierge and the Excursion operators? Are there any other people you would also tip?

Thanks in advance.

shrimpboat123, HAL will give you the recommended amounts. I believe in 2007, we tipped the bus driver $2 pp pd, the Tour Director was $3.50 pp pd. We didn't do any additional excursions, so not sure what you might tip the excursion operators. I generally give $1, $2 or $5 depending on whether the excursion is 4 hrs, 8 hrs, etc.

Hi you brought up a good point something I forgot all bout tipping on Land portion Thanks Shrimpboat 123l

I found some additional info regarding tips from the "2012 Alaska Tour Tips" HAL FAQ: If you desire to offer an individual expression of your appreciation, you may use the following guidelines.

Tour Concierge: US$4.00 per guest per day.

Driver-Guides: US$4.00 per guest per day.

McKinley Explorer Rail Guides: US$1.50 per guest per day.

Klondike Spirit Cabin Crew: US$1.00 per guest per day.

Optional Excursion Guides: US$2.00 per guest, per 1/2 day tour or US$5.00 full day tour.

Hotel Bell Staff: All luggage-handling gratuities are included in your tour for all hotels shown on your itinerary.

I was wondering would we have time to take the Arctic Circle Air Adventure excursion from Fairbanks. It looks line Holland American has a few trips already planned for the land Portion of the tour.

At the moment we are thinking about taking Holland America excursions

Haines the White Pass Submit train ride.

Juneau Bear Watching &Wildlife Viewing Adventure

Ketchikan looking ar several Excursions Hard to decide:

1. Alaska Bear Adventure By FloatPlane

2. Herring Cove Bear Adventure

3. Neets Day Bearwatching by Floatplane

4. Berring Sea Crab Fishermans

Boy is it getting expensive I'm 67 my wife is over 62 Insurance is approx. $565.00 Canadian this doesn't include Medical which we are both covered under my work plan. My wife feels it's a waste of money because we know we are going and we haven't had any other issues while cruising over the years. Last year we had onepiece of luggage one wheel broken and after our stop over at Toronto the Handle was broken. When we got home we had a big bottle of Jamaican Coconut rum in that suitcase and it survived.

We always purchase the Trip Cancellation /Trip Interruption insurance for pure peace of mind. You never know when a sudden change in circumstances will come upon you and it does not have to be related to your health. Our past cruises have cost us around $500 - $600 cdn and we're close to your age (64/63). This cruise will cost us around $300 this time because we have access to a great group travel insurance plan through my former employer.

Thank-you Shrimpboat123 for the quick reply. I feel we should just in case. It convincing my better Half. We do have Alberta Blue Cross and Green Shield coverage from my work which covers 30 day out of province coverage. I'm sure we are not going with the meal deal offered by Holland and just buy our meals but again she has read a review on this site from someone traveling on Princess and this site showed the prices of some of the restaurants and they were talking about Vouchers from cruise line. I tried to explain that this voucher doesn't cover all the meals on the tour part. And she was then asking well which meals are not covered Got me there. Now I'm wondering if this a question for my TA to answer or what??

Regarding meals on the tour. For myself, I figure there will be a requirement to purchase 14 breakfasts, 14 lunches and 13 dinners for each person. The HAL itinerary includes 0 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 2 dinners on the land tour per person. This includes the pre and post cruise days meal requirements for me.

The HAL vouchers you purchase are good for 6 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 6 dinners per person. I presume you can use them as you see fit at the hotels you are booked into. That would leave 8 breakfasts, 10 lunches and 5 dinners per person to be purchased on your own.

I too have Provincial medical coverage as well as a pretty good medical plan from my company. On one cruise I got sick and had to go to the ships doctor and of course had to pay upfront. When I got home, I discovered the Provincial plan didn't pay for anything and I had to rely on my company plan. That's all well and good until you have a serious medical situation and have to be taken off the ship and potentially get back to the next port of call or home on your own dollar. That's where the insurance provides great peace of mind and I think is well worth it.

Of course only you can decide what is right for you.

According to the HAL Excursions available for Fairbanks for my cruisetour, there are 2 Arctic adventures,

1. Arctic Circle Air Adventure departs at 6PM for 6 1/2 - 7 hrs.

2. Journey Above the Arctic Circle, Fort Yukon & the Yukon River departs at 6PM for Approximately 4¾ Hours (2¾-hour flight & safety briefing)

Boy is it getting expensive I'm 67 my wife is over 62 Insurance is approx. $565.00 Canadian this doesn't include Medical which we are both covered under my work plan. My wife feels it's a waste of money because we know we are going and we haven't had any other issues while cruising over the years. Last year we had onepiece of luggage one wheel broken and after our stop over at Toronto the Handle was broken. When we got home we had a big bottle of Jamaican Coconut rum in that suitcase and it survived.

Look into your work plan and see if it covers you for medical evacuation and if it includes getting you home if you are unable to travel commercial airlines due to an injury incurred or an illness. The main reason we purchase travel insurance is for medical evacuation and return travel home if necessary.

Also, even though you say you aren't going to cancel, is there a loved one you would cancel your trip for if they became very ill or even passed away? These are the kinds of reason one buys travel insurance.

However, before buying, read ALL the fine print. So many people buy travel insurance and assume it covers every possible scenario. This is just not the case.

Look into your work plan and see if it covers you for medical evacuation and if it includes getting you home if you are unable to travel commercial airlines due to an injury incurred or an illness. The main reason we purchase travel insurance is for medical evacuation and return travel home if necessary.

Also, even though you say you aren't going to cancel, is there a loved one you would cancel your trip for if they became very ill or even passed away? These are the kinds of reason one buys travel insurance.

However, before buying, read ALL the fine print. So many people buy travel insurance and assume it covers every possible scenario. This is just not the case.

OP is already on their trip.

Archived