If there was a mandatory " Dress Up Only "

sixthree

If there was a mandatory " Dress Up Only " resturant on your ship, would you attend ?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. If there was a mandatory " Dress Up Only " resturant on your ship, would you attend ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

Yes, we would, at least a couple of nights.

That should be one of the choices, dress up for dinner in the formal dining room, or dress down and go to the buffet or alternate choice, or don't dress at all and have room service deliver!

Yes, we would, at least a couple of nights.

That should be one of the choices, dress up for dinner in the formal dining room, or dress down and go to the buffet or alternate choice, or don't dress at all and have room service deliver!

Those are the choices!!! People just dont seem to care lol

Seems like the only time I get to play "dress up" anymore is on a cruise . . . and I love it!!!!! :p

Me Too. I love to dress up. I'm a nurse so scrubs and tennis shoes are the usuall attire for work, and being the mother of 2 kids, dressing up and going to dinner at a fancy restuarant is not something that happens much. I'm sure all those invitations to black tie events at the White House have been misplaced ;-) what do you think???

Dressing up is part of the experience of fine dining.

However, I'm beginning to think that fine dining does not exist other than in metropolitan areas, based on this website. It seems people confuse dining with eating.:eek:

However, I'm beginning to think that fine dining does not exist other than in metropolitan areas, based on this website. It seems people confuse dining with eating.:eek:

Excellent point MrPeteLI, we can 'eat' just about anywhere, but a true 'dining' experience is a whole 'nuther world to enjoy.

the problem is that some don't see it as dining.

In all reality, it's not the same as a 5* restaurant on land, but then any good restaurant wouldn't take a group of 30 let alone feed thousands of people at one time. But if everyone went casually dressed, because they didn't feel it was worth dressing for, how would that affect the experience??

I think it would make it less than what it is.

Very well said!!!

I would love it. I view dressing up for dinner a wonderful "date night". We always make sure we take the time to look nice for one another anyway and a Dress up only restaraunt would definately be something we'd take part in.

Tell me it isn't so! Every body want to play "dress up". Oh no! Remember now, you would have to bring an extra suit case because you can fit much more in a suit case with casuals. Also remember, you can't bring irons any more, so those creases in the shirts will start to look messy. Then again, you just added another $100 in pictures because you know, they have to take pictures at each formal dinner ($$$$$$$$$$) and when they take pictures, all the isles are blocked with lines of people and props. Unless you run to your cabin to change, you would have to watch the shows in a shirt and tie (Ugh!).

Are you sure you want to go this route? Really sure????? Then how about the gals go formal and the guys can dress however. Yah, how about that? Come on guys, give me some support before this becomes a movement. However, we promise to still pull out the chairs for the ladies even in our casuals. How's that for a concession?

I get enough opportunities to dress up at home, besides, I believe in packing light.

ditto.

When on Conquest, we had 3 suitcases. And that was only because we extended the vacation by 4 days. Otherwise, we could have done with 2. Of course, I also rented a tux for the formal nights, so that saved on packing.

The point is, you can pack light and still dress up. If you take more than 2 suitcases now and don't dress up, you're not packing light! ;) Plus my wife always co-ordinates what she's going to wear, that way she only needs to bring one pair of dress shoes.

Anyway, it's fun to get dressed up to dine. The look I get from my wife when I have a tux on makes it well worth the effort.......

It wouldn't take much to add some velvet ribbon down the sides of a pair of jeans. Have to have a jacket - denim of course. Add a tuxedo tshirt and voila!
I only bring one pair of shoes on a cruise, but they are black walking shoes. Double click - done!

[quote name='zydecocruiser']It wouldn't take much to add some velvet ribbon down the sides of a pair of jeans. Have to have a jacket - denim of course. Add a tuxedo tshirt and voila!
I only bring one pair of shoes on a cruise, but they are black walking shoes. Double click - done![/QUOTE]

sounds like you need a visit from the Fab 5 ;)

[quote name='richfret']Tell me it isn't so! Every body want to play "dress up". Oh no! Remember now, you would have to bring an extra suit case because you can fit much more in a suit case with casuals. Also remember, you can't bring irons any more, so those creases in the shirts will start to look messy. Then again, you just added another $100 in pictures because you know, they have to take pictures at each formal dinner ($$$$$$$$$$) and when they take pictures, all the isles are blocked with lines of people and props. Unless you run to your cabin to change, you would have to watch the shows in a shirt and tie (Ugh!).

Are you sure you want to go this route? Really sure????? Then how about the gals go formal and the guys can dress however. Yah, how about that? Come on guys, give me some support before this becomes a movement. However, we promise to still pull out the chairs for the ladies even in our casuals. How's that for a concession?[/QUOTE]

Sorry no help here. I think any man who dresses in a more casual fashion than his wife, significant other or just date shows very poor manners and is actually insulting the lady by saying with their attire that the lady is not worth the effort to dress nicely for.

I have never dessed in a casual fashion when the occasion called for better attire. But then again for me casual is pressed linen or wool slacks, tassled loafers, and either a collared polo or long sleeved shirt. In the evening I always try to add a blazer. Anthing less than that is not casual, it is work clothing to be worn when mowing the lawn or washing the car or painting the house.

[quote name='richfret']Tell me it isn't so! Every body want to play "dress up". Oh no! Remember now, you would have to bring an extra suit case because you can fit much more in a suit case with casuals. Also remember, you can't bring irons any more, so those creases in the shirts will start to look messy. Then again, you just added another $100 in pictures because you know, they have to take pictures at each formal dinner ($$$$$$$$$$) and when they take pictures, all the isles are blocked with lines of people and props. Unless you run to your cabin to change, you would have to watch the shows in a shirt and tie (Ugh!). [/QUOTE] LOL

[quote name='richfret']Are you sure you want to go this route? Really sure????? Then how about the gals go formal and the guys can dress however. Yah, how about that? Come on guys, give me some support before this becomes a movement. However, we promise to still pull out the chairs for the ladies even in our casuals. How's that for a concession?[/QUOTE] I dont think so.. ;) If I gotta dress up so does the hubby..

I cant imagine being dress for formal night in a dress and hubby in "casual" clothing.. That just looks bad.. and second it wouldnt be fair.. ;)

[quote name='richfret']Tell me it isn't so! Every body want to play "dress up". Oh no! Remember now, you would have to bring an extra suit case because you can fit much more in a suit case with casuals. Also remember, you can't bring irons any more, so those creases in the shirts will start to look messy. Then again, you just added another $100 in pictures because you know, they have to take pictures at each formal dinner ($$$$$$$$$$) and when they take pictures, all the isles are blocked with lines of people and props. Unless you run to your cabin to change, you would have to watch the shows in a shirt and tie (Ugh!).

Are you sure you want to go this route? Really sure????? Then how about the gals go formal and the guys can dress however. Yah, how about that? Come on guys, give me some support before this becomes a movement. However, we promise to still pull out the chairs for the ladies even in our casuals. How's that for a concession?[/QUOTE]

You're kidding right?

[quote name='MrPeteLI']Dressing up is part of the experience of fine dining.

However, I'm beginning to think that fine dining does not exist other than in metropolitan areas, based on this website. It seems people confuse dining with eating.:eek:[/QUOTE]

Yes, and some of them would probably do better with a feed bag attached. Unfortunately we once wound up with someone like this on a long ago cruise.
Not allowing couples to sit when and where they liked was a cruise deal breaker for years.

BnB

Wow, is this a serious group! Yes, I was kidding. On the other hand, I can't believe there are so many posts supporting more formal nights and fancy dressing. One, two nights but not any more. That's what the extra $25, fancy resturant is for. But to each his own and if any body want to dress fancy, they are still welcome at our table (tux, suit or casual).

We are just back from the Valor; all 4 of us dressed each night to "dine." It was amazing that so many people totally disregarded the dress code - so many, in fact, that I felt it necessary to ask Carnival to "Please enforce the dress code in the dining room" on my comment card. People simply didn't care - shorts, halter tops, jeans, T-shirts, etc. in the dining room. In addition, there were many people who came in late to eat, and I don't mean 10 or 15 minutes; I mean an hour or more. We had 8 P.M. seating, and one night people came in at 9:30! I just don't think that should be allowed. I agree with a previous poster that the dining room should be closed after a certain period of time; perhaps 30 minutes would be sufficient

Archived