Cruises from San Diego again?

MaiTaiMary

According to the Tribune they don't expect the cruise industry to pick up here until 2015 (I believe). I don't really get it. Cruising past Point Loma with the sunset sure beats leaving out of LA. Maybe San Diego demands more money to use their facilities. They have to figure out a way to pay for that new cruise terminal that sits empty most of the year.

Makes no sense.

Soon Long Beach will have three ships-Inspiration and (soon to be) Imagination both doing 3/4 day cruises and the Miracle doing the MR, Alaska and HI itins.

Must be cheaper to run out of LB than SD.

Makes no sense.

Soon Long Beach will have three ships-Inspiration and (soon to be) Imagination both doing 3/4 day cruises and the Miracle doing the MR, Alaska and HI itins.

But it will be a short run for Miracle....she will leave the west coast sometime in April 2014....

San Diego is the second best place to cruise from on the west coast:p:D

But im biased being from SF;)

San Francisco is a great place to cruise from....i agree with that.....perfect place to spend a few days prior....(and i am from San Diego and Loved Sailing from here).....but i am looking forward to my cruise this year leaving New York

Edited by woodey

I have heard that San Diego's new port was not built large enough to fit the newest ships and that it IS expensive to sail from here.

We are also very sad that there are very few ships leaving from here now!! I would love to be able to go on some of the longer Mexican cruises that we used to love!!

Going to only Cabo and Puerto Vallarta from Long Beach does not make us happy but that IS what we are doing this spring.

But it will be a short run for Miracle....she will leave the west coast sometime in April 2014....

Rumor has it that the Miracle is going to join the Spirit Down Under and the Glory might be replacing her.

Edited by SadieN

Makes no sense.

Facilities in San Diego are terrible.

According to the Tribune they don't expect the cruise industry to pick up here until 2015 (I believe). I don't really get it. Cruising past Point Loma with the sunset sure beats leaving out of LA. Maybe San Diego demands more money to use their facilities. They have to figure out a way to pay for that new cruise terminal that sits empty most of the year.

The cruise lines learned their lesson the hard way when Mexico was closed for the swine flu.....they had no where else warm to go.

No one wants a 7 day cruise to nowhere....which is why Carnival is not replacing the Spirit.

The Miracle will replace the Splendor's berth in Long Beach because (I am guessing) Carnival has a long term contract with Long Beach to have a certain number of ships there.

As lovely as San Diego is, when we cruised out of there in April, we found the terminal confusing....having to wait in a long time out in the rain inconvenient BECAUSE they had ONE gate was processing several ships that were in port.

No VIP at all.....

so until that was fixed, I would not be interested in coming back....

San Diego is my old hometown...loved the three times I have sailed out of there, once with Carnival and twice with Hal...we had no problems but I know the embarkation process could be better...but hey you can stay across the street and just walk yourself and your luggage to the ship:D

Also nothing beats staying at the Holiday Inn...getting up in the am to see your ship almost sitting on your balcony!! I love San Diego:)

I do admit I loved hitting Acapulco, Manzanillo and Ixtapa out of San Diego in '05 and wish CCL sailed out of there still, but...at least we DO still have Long Beach options (Riviera...sans Mazatlan and Baja area). :rolleyes:

I can hear my friends in Albuquerque "playing misty" right about now....as well as everyone else who doesn't live near a coastal cruise option! I admit, though, I'm someone who occasionally forgets the great taste of my angus burger thinking I should actually be eating a filet. :D

• 2 years later...