Question on Belize

Cruisefriends

We were there in October on the Conquest and did an excursion not with Carnival. We did a great cavetubing trip and could not have had a better time. Never did we feel unsafe. In fact, it was probably one of the most secure feeling ones we have done. And the tubing trip was so awesome, some of the people we saw from the ship who went with other guides were telling us they wished they had used ours instead. You should always be aware on any excursion but with some research, you can hopefully get yourself one that you can enjoy.

My DH and I loved Belize. We went to Xunantunich and had a wonderful time. Excellent guides and a beautiful country. Some of our friends went to Altun Ha and the River Wallace and they spoke so highly of the trip that we are going to do that if ever we return to Belize.

We never felt unsafe at anytime. Yes the country is poverty stricken and looks like it, but don't let the appearance fool you. The people of Belize are wonderful and go out of their way to ensure a good time. After all they are making more off cruise ship passengers.

If you are hesitant, then purchase your excursion through the cruise line to ensure you go with a reputable company, but don't miss this unique country.

If you stay on the ship, you will be missing out on a great port. We LOVED Belize, and like the previous poster, never at all felt unsafe. We booked a cave tubing excursion with VIV Tours, and it is the single best excursion we have ever taken. We found the people of Belize, from the tender operators to the craft peddlers at the cave, to be very welcoming and glad to have us in their country. We have not one negative thing to say. The port area itself is clean and welcoming, with some nice shops. I especially enjoyed the mahogany shop and got some great unique and inexpensive souvenirs. The port area and the cave tubing park both had the cleanest restrooms we have ever seen, and the snack shop at the pier was very good and inexpensive. At the very least, take the tender and check out the pier shops, but if you are interested in cave tubing or the ruins, I can't say enough good things about VIV Tours. They, and Belize, were excellent.

I dont think there is any issue with the port if you do an excursion, but getting off at that port (IMO) is a waste of time if you aren't doing an excursion.

I agree, if you are not doing an excursion stay on the ship. The port area in Belize is our least favorite of the ports we have been to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep reading about people staying on the boat in Belize. To me its a waste because the ruins, cave tubing, snorkeling/scuba, and zip lining excursions are pretty good (personal experience and what I've read).

I can understand traveling through Belize City may make some uncomfortable, and the long tender ride may not agree with some. Its worth it though if you have a good excursion. Most of the water-based excursions even pick you up at the ship. On land there is a bit of culture shock, but its an experience that stays in your mind.

We just got back from the Western Caribbean and had a great time in Belize. We went to Altun Ha and the River Wallace on a Carnival excursion. We did not feel unsafe at all. I would definately recommend this excursion.

We did this exact tour and it was wonderful!! This is the only port that I booked through Carnival. Our tour guide said it is best to do the ruins first and the river second (they do it both ways so there are not so many at the same place at the same time)

at least do it once!

20683_10151310052904522_368683282_n.jpg

398695_10151310052694522_377366781_n.jpg

530272_10151310054329522_1118478754_n.jpg

15645_10151310054699522_550467508_n.jpg

I have been reading alot this port and I am not sure if we should consider an excursion or just stay on the ship. Our Cruise is coming up at the end of March. Any help??

We went to Altun Ha on a Carnival excursion. We did not feel unsafe at all. I would definitively recommend this excursion.So glad we didn't stay on the ship..

I wouldn't stay on the ship.

The locals are wonderful.

You could visit some ruins and see the interior.

I've been snook fishing there.

Shewt, you gotta go to Belize for Belikin, Marie Sharp's and Lissette's Special Sauce.

And Belikin.

Great info everyone. Cavetubing looks interesting...but just not for us. We love beaches, shopping, and boat rides. I am glad to see that you all do feel safe getting off the ship :) There has been so much negativity and with the ships keep re-routing right now thought I would ask the experts.

All the changes of not going to Belize right now and going to Costa Maya...we already have that stop on our cruise. If they do cancel going there wonder if they will just do a day at sea?

Why are they doing that anways? Some say water taxis on strike?

Great info everyone. Cavetubing looks interesting...but just not for us. We love beaches, shopping, and boat rides. I am glad to see that you all do feel safe getting off the ship :) There has been so much negativity and with the ships keep re-routing right now thought I would ask the experts.

All the changes of not going to Belize right now and going to Costa Maya...we already have that stop on our cruise. If they do cancel going there wonder if they will just do a day at sea?

Why are they doing that anways? Some say water taxis on strike?

They are currently rerouting because someone made a mistake and has to many ships in port. On the day the ships are getting rerouted is when Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Star, Carnival Glory, Carnival Legend, and now a Crown Princess ship are all in port. Although it is a tender port, they can only handle 4 ships at once, so one ship has to find somewhere else to go.

I have been reading alot this port and I am not sure if we should consider an excursion or just stay on the ship. Our Cruise is coming up at the end of March. Any help??

I was the very same before i went on my cruise in December on the Liberty we went to Belize ... i never felt unsafe we didnt have an excursion booked we got off the ship and did some shopping and had some drinks it was lovely and i felt safe .... we went to Moho chocolate factory on the port shops it was an experience and made our own chocolate bars was fun and only 20 dollars for the three of us :) you pay per party so if u have bigger numbers you still only pay 20 dollars ... we hung out in the bar 2 beers for $5 ... I would recomend doing an excursion or just bar hop on the port bars :)

We really enjoyed cave tubing. I really want to see the Lamanai ruins but haven't seen it as a Carnival excursion which is how I'd want to do it since it's so far. :(

Cave-tubing is terrific as well as a visit to Lamanai. I must agree with doing Lamanai via a ship excursion.

I've been to Belize twice and it is one of my favorite ports. Our recent trip was in Dec 2012 and we did the Altun Ha Mayan Ruin and River Wallace it was awesome. The first time we visited Belize we visited Xunantunich Mayan ruins (I like history and temples and stuff):) I have heard good things about caving tubing, snorkeling and diving. Belize has the second largest barrier reef in the world, that's why the ship has to anchor five miles off the coast. I would recommend to book a Carnival excursion because both of these excursions took about 5-6 hrs and we got back to the port just in time. If you are on a Carnival excursion they know people are coming back and will not leave until the tour returns to port. If you are on a private tour and they get you back late you are on your own if the ship leaves. If you do a long excurison you probably will not have time to show in port, but there are not a lot of shops in port anyway. Overall any destination is what you make of it, I felt very safe and had so much fun and I can't wait to go back!!!enjoy!:D

I haven't been to Belize yet--thinking about it for 2014.

I don't understand why anyone would want to stay on board the ship, especially if they have never been to a place before. I say get off the ship and experience it at least once. If you don't like it, and you find yourself in that port again, then maybe stay on the ship. But first try stretching your boundaries and open your mind to the wonders that you may find there.

Archived