Carnival Breeze - New Years Cruise Review!

Dave85

i don't understand why reviewers and their significant others get so pissed if we don't agree with their comments and choose to put our own reflections on things that they talk about. when did we become the bad guys because we get alternative ideas as to why certain cutbacks have been made on a cruise ship. if people don't want any feedback they should just post a review in the review section and not post where others can make comments about their comments.

and for the thousandth time, i am still looking for an answer about lines and have yet to have anyone who complains about them give me a definitive answer of what they entailed and how much time it added to the experience.

i have also cruised other lines and have many comparisons but just don't find them valid, its like comparing apples to oranges. its like trying to compare a budget hotel to a 5star expensive to match alternative. the comparison never starts out with the same parameters.

i don't understand why reviewers and their significant others get so pissed if we don't agree with their comments and choose to put our own reflections on things that they talk about. When did we become the bad guys because we get alternative ideas as to why certain cutbacks have been made on a cruise ship. If people don't want any feedback they should just post a review in the review section and not post where others can make comments about their comments.

And for the thousandth time, i am still looking for an answer about lines and have yet to have anyone who complains about them give me a definitive answer of what they entailed and how much time it added to the experience.

I have also cruised other lines and have many comparisons but just don't find them valid, its like comparing apples to oranges. Its like trying to compare a budget hotel to a 5star expensive to match alternative. The comparison never starts out with the same parameters.

lol.

Thanks for chiming in! LOL

What is the old saying ... you get what you pay for! No doubt BREEZE is less expensive to sail compared to OASIS and ALLURE, and I suppose expectations should be lowered in comparison ... but regardless of what is paid I think a certain standard should be expected. If I only had a limited amount of time for vacation and had to pick between OASIS and BREEZE it would be a no brainer. I would absolutely pay more to have a better experience. I don't blame you in that regard one bit.

Ernie

I really tend to agree with you. I was hoping the Breeze exceeded my expectations. Unfortunately, the NYE Oasis sailing was VERY expensive. We have a wedding coming up and a Greek Isles cruise in September so we were trying to keep the cost lower. Either way, we were on a cruise! So, you can only complain so much :-D

i don't understand why reviewers and their significant others get so pissed if we don't agree with their comments and choose to put our own reflections on things that they talk about. when did we become the bad guys because we get alternative ideas as to why certain cutbacks have been made on a cruise ship. if people don't want any feedback they should just post a review in the review section and not post where others can make comments about their comments.

and for the thousandth time, i am still looking for an answer about lines and have yet to have anyone who complains about them give me a definitive answer of what they entailed and how much time it added to the experience.

i have also cruised other lines and have many comparisons but just don't find them valid, its like comparing apples to oranges. its like trying to compare a budget hotel to a 5star expensive to match alternative. the comparison never starts out with the same parameters.

If anyone is "so pissed" it would be you, my friend. I'm actually sitting here with a smile on my face (see? :)). I could care less if you or any other CCL cheerleader agrees with my opinions or not, as I've stated about 6 times so far in this thread. My opinions are mine and mine alone. Your comment, however, that pools are only busy from 10-4 on sea days, and as such we shouldn't be uspet about it, is as ridiculous as my lovely fiancee made it sound. Again, IMHO.

Since you seem to be asking a legitimate question about lines that you claim nobody is answering for you, I'll give you the courtesy of a reply, which you'll probably criticize. I waited 20 minutes on an omelette line on Ocho Rios morning, then an additional 10 minutes or so to collect the rest of my brekafast around the disorganized aft breakfast buffet (which I will note as I did in my main review had shorter lines than the forward portion of the Lido Marketplace). This 30 minutes was a big deal for us becuase we needed to get off the ship for our tour, and hadn't budgeted in that much time.

While I'm responding to your question, MissMeggieMurphy, I'll add something that I forgot to post in my original review along these same lines that you've reminded me of. While I was waiting on these long breakfast lines, the narrow walkways in the Lido Marketplace were an absolute traffic jam. Just too many people trying to get around at the same time on that morning. While this was going on, how did Carnival respond to this terrible traffic jam? By trying to push a bloody mary cart through these very same passageways their guests were trying (in vain) to traverse. Hmm.... not too smart, now is it? Nobody was purchasing anything from said cart (everyone was in a huge rush trying to eat breakfast in the mayhem that was the Lido Marketplace to get off the ship at Ocho Rios when we docked at 11:30). Perhaps that would have been a good morning for Carnival to give up a few bucks and shelve the bloody mary cart until traffic subsided.

More specifics on lines for MissMeggieMurphy: we waited 15-20 minutes on a port day for the Mongolian Wok. It took us about 20-25 minutes to corrale our breakfast on the morning of the final full day of the sailing (sea day) and we weren't even there at peak time.

Now, you can't say that "nobody who complains has given you any specifics about lines" since I just did. Have a wonderful day :):):)

Specifically, they were asking in the neighborhood of $2k per person for a standard balcony cabin. :eek:

What is truly amazing is that Royal Caribbean can sustain these prices, and yes people are willing to pay them. That is how good OASIS and ALLURE are. Only a pretty amazing ship and experience can drive those kinds of per diems. I would say only Disney Cruise Line commands consistently higher yields in this market segment. Personally I'm not willing to pay $2k per person for a mass-market experience, but I am willing to pay hundreds more to sail on a superior ship. The other thing I'm willing to do sometimes is downgrade my accommodations to compensate for the price difference between ships. Sail in an inside on the superior ship over a balcony on the less desirable ship.

On BREEZE I'm in the cheapest inside guarantee. I figure even if the cruise doesn't match my expectations not much will be lost. I live in Miami so no airfare to worry about. Also as you said before, you're on a cruise so how bad can it be!? I'm getting close to 100 cruises now on just about every line you can imagine, and I can honestly say I've never had a bad cruise, just some that are better than others.

Ernie

Also as you said before, you're on a cruise so how bad can it be!? I'm getting close to 100 cruises now on just about every line you can imagine, and I can honestly say I've never had a bad cruise, just some that are better than others.

Ernie

WOW! I can only dream of reaching the 100 cruise mark :p. If there was any place in the country I'd want to live other than NY, it would definitely be Miami! We obviously weren't willing to put up $2Kpp for a balcony on Oasis/Allure for the New Years sailing, but perhaps in the future we'd put up a few hundred more for a Freedom Class ship.

WOW! I can only dream of reaching the 100 cruise mark :p. If there was any place in the country I'd want to live other than NY, it would definitely be Miami! We obviously weren't willing to put up $2Kpp for a balcony on Oasis/Allure for the New Years sailing, but perhaps in the future we'd put up a few hundred more for a Freedom Class ship.

Hey looking at your signature I would say you're not doing too badly! If it makes you feel any better, I started at a very young age around 11 so I've had a lot of time to build up all those cruises.

I love Miami and it's better than ever these days. I originally moved here back in 85' and attended college at UM. I've come and gone a few times to try other cities (LA & NY) but I always seem to come back. Miami has changed a lot since 85' and only for the better IMO. Besides all that, as a cruise fanatic there is really no better place on earth for me to live. 82 degrees and sunny in January is not so bad either! ;-)

Ernie

Dave,

Not sure if you saw this question I asked. I tacked it on to a previous post so you may have missed it.

One last question. Please tell me the DJ's play music other than hip hop all day by the pool and in the atrium!!?? That would probably put me over the edge. I haven't sailed Carnival since this new entertainment programming started, but in a nutshell it sounds like nothing more than a huge cost cutting initiative. Cut out live bands, reduce the shows, more audience participation (which costs nothing), etc. etc. I'll save final judgement until I experience it first hand, but it doesn't sound promising. Meanwhile other lines like Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity seem to be enhancing their entertainment offerings with more elaborate shows and broadway productions. Just another way I guess that Carnival really appeals to the first timer.

I don't think I will mind the DJ's so long as they play a variety of music. I don't think I could handle hip hop or head banging heavy metal all day. Perhaps 20 years ago! LOL

Ernie

Dave,

Not sure if you saw this question I asked. I tacked it on to a previous post so you may have missed it.

One last question. Please tell me the DJ's play music other than hip hop all day by the pool and in the atrium!!?? That would probably put me over the edge. I haven't sailed Carnival since this new entertainment programming started, but in a nutshell it sounds like nothing more than a huge cost cutting initiative. Cut out live bands, reduce the shows, more audience participation (which costs nothing), etc. etc. I'll save final judgement until I experience it first hand, but it doesn't sound promising. Meanwhile other lines like Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity seem to be enhancing their entertainment offerings with more elaborate shows and broadway productions. Just another way I guess that Carnival really appeals to the first timer.

I don't think I will mind the DJ's so long as they play a variety of music. I don't think I could handle hip hop or head banging heavy metal all day. Perhaps 20 years ago! LOL

Ernie

Haha sorry about that! I missed the question.

No heavy metal at all. I'd say the majority was hip hop (not any kind of hardcore rap, more upbeat popular hip hop), but by the pool during the day the DJ did play a very nice mix at times. You'd occasionally hear some Latin music, some Earth Wind & Fire, occasionally some Bob Marley / reggae, occasionally some pop music. At night after the deck parties it was more heavy Latin music and hip hop.

Of course, lets not forget, LOTS of line dances at all hours of the day. You can expect to hear more Cha Cha Slide, Cupid Shuffle, and Wobble than your mind can handle. :D

I agree 100%, it's all cost cutting. As noted in my review though, I did really enjoy the DJs and thought they did an excellent job. I'm also in my late 20s, so a lot of the music was very clearly geared towards my demographic.

Haha sorry about that! I missed the question.

No heavy metal at all. I'd say the majority was hip hop (not any kind of hardcore rap, more upbeat popular hip hop), but by the pool during the day the DJ did play a very nice mix at times. You'd occasionally hear some Latin music, some Earth Wind & Fire, occasionally some Bob Marley / reggae, occasionally some pop music. At night after the deck parties it was more heavy Latin music and hip hop.

Of course, lets not forget, LOTS of line dances at all hours of the day. You can expect to hear more Cha Cha Slide, Cupid Shuffle, and Wobble than your mind can handle. :D

I agree 100%, it's all cost cutting. As noted in my review though, I did really enjoy the DJs and thought they did an excellent job. I'm also in my late 20s, so a lot of the music was very clearly geared towards my demographic.

My line dance days are over, unless I've really had a lot to drink! At least they have moved away from the Electric Slide and the Macarena. I always think of Carnival when I hear those songs. Same with "hot hot hot" in the dining room. LOL

Good to know about the DJ's. I'm in my 40's so while not quite over the hill yet, hip-hop really isn't my thing. I don't mind some of it, and as long as it's mixed in with a variety of other music that sounds good to me.

A truly good DJ knows his audience and can cater to it. No doubt on your cruise over New Year's it was a younger party type crowd and probably plenty of young kids too. On my cruise mid-February kids will be in school and I imagine it will be a slightly older and more sedate crowd. It will be interesting to see if the DJ's change up their format to appeal to the demographic at hand. I'm also hoping for a less crowded ship in February. I'm thinking mostly couples and not a lot of families, and that can make a big difference with the crowds up on deck. One of my rules for sailing Carnival is that it has to be off-season and never during a holiday or school break. Also no short cruises. For me that helps to ensure a more positive Carnival experience. :-)

Ernie

A truly good DJ knows his audience and can cater to it. No doubt on your cruise over New Year's it was a younger party type crowd and probably plenty of young kids too. On my cruise mid-February kids will be in school and I imagine it will be a slightly older and more sedate crowd. It will be interesting to see if the DJ's change up their format to appeal to the demographic at hand. I'm also hoping for a less crowded ship in February. I'm thinking mostly couples and not a lot of families, and that can make a big difference with the crowds up on deck. One of my rules for sailing Carnival is that it has to be off-season and never during a holiday or school break. Also no short cruises. For me that helps to ensure a more positive Carnival experience. :-)

Ernie

Exactly, and we're probably going to impose the same rule. Hopefully you'll have a good crowd and will benefit space wise from the absence of the 1,200 kids!

Dave, thanks for this review. On my first cruise in 2006 Butch was the Assistant Cruise Director. In 2008 on the Glory he was the CD. From those 2 times I can see how he is the CD of the flagship. His enthusiasm is great and spreads through everyone.

Thank you for your informative review. I appreciate the tips since I will sailing on Sunday.

Sorry to hear that the noise was a problem on the deck 9 from the outside Lanai. I changed my original cabin to a spa on deck 11 forward. I am hoping to see the ocean directly from my cabin balcony, we shall see. I hope the noise is not a problem that high and forward.

Do you attend any of the Game shows? How was the volume of the big screen?

Thank you for your informative review. I appreciate the tips since I will sailing on Sunday.

Sorry to hear that the noise was a problem on the deck 9 from the outside Lanai. I changed my original cabin to a spa on deck 11 forward. I am hoping to see the ocean directly from my cabin balcony, we shall see. I hope the noise is not a problem that high and forward.

Do you attend any of the Game shows? How was the volume of the big screen?

Have a great cruise!! You'll definitely be better off on Deck 11 forward than I was, but there is still a forward hot tub if memory serves me so I can't promsie you won't experience any noise. We'll hope for the best and let us know when you get back how your experience was with that cabin.

We attended the second installment of the game show. It was more a curiosity to me than anything else. They played Sorry Sliders which went smoothly and then Operation which did not, as the timing / scoring mechanism atop the machine malfunctioned. Butch did a masterful job improvising though to save the show. They were very focused on getting kids up on stage (half of each team), so perhaps if you want to play you'll have a better chance since you're going when the kids will be back in school.

The volume of the lido screen wasn't bad -- if anything it was a little low for the movies and shows. The DJ, however, was extremely loud when he was on Lido, as was the microphone of any member of the entertainment staff hosting an activity on the Lido (see my earlier complaint about the ear splitting Lido Deck bingo). If you find it a little too loud it would pay to move up to Deck 12 and/or aft a little bit from the fish bowl (my nickname for the main pool area).

Thanks for your review! Having sailed both Breeze and Oasis as well, it was interesting to see your perspective.

Just curious, you said you beat the breakfast rush on several mornings at the Lido. When did you go on those mornings, and when did the breakfast rush occur? I'm often an early riser on cruises (love getting sunrise and low light photos coming into ports), so I have breakfast timing options. Just curious when they are.

Thanks!

Just curious, you said you beat the breakfast rush on several mornings at the Lido. When did you go on those mornings, and when did the breakfast rush occur? I'm often an early riser on cruises (love getting sunrise and low light photos coming into ports), so I have breakfast timing options. Just curious when they are.

Thanks!

We were getting up between 8 and 8:30 most mornings and heading to breakfast shortly thereafter. That seemed to do the trick to beat the rush. It's hard to pin down exactly when it begins but I'd feel comfortable saying around 9:30 on a sea day its going to get pretty swamped. The major caveat is if you're in a port and when you arrive. Our Ocho Rios day we were due into port at 11:30 and we slept in a bit, getting up to Lido around 10. Complete mob scene. If you have an earlier port call I'd expect the mad rush a little earlier as most people are trying to get off the ship to make the most of their day. It should be fairly predictable based on those considerations. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the review as I sail the breeze on 1/27/13.... Can't wait!

:)

Sue

Have a great cruise Sue!

Loved your review, and I too kept comparing the Breeze with the Solstice class ships from Celebrity and had to make myself stop.

I can say that I was pleasantly surprised by the decor, and food in the dining room. It was a nice getaway and party for NYE. I did purchase the use of Cloud9 facilities, ate at the steakhouse and the Chef's Table... All worth it to me.

I now need a vacation from my vacation. :)

Thanks for the review.

We were on the Breeze the week prior to your cruise. Saw two of the main theater shows and thought the same as you about the shows. We left one of them after a few songs laughing, it was so bad. Carnival tries to cover the poor quality of the show with high volume music.

We really enjoyed punchliners. Always went to the adult show and had a great time. Some of the comedians did different material if they did two adult shows.

We enjoyed our vacation on the Breeze and will certainly cruise with Carnival again. Poor main theater shows is not that big a deal to us.

Thanks for the excellent review. Just the kind of information I'm looking for since we leave Sunday too. My wife and I have been on several cruises (this is our 1st Carnival), most recently Allure OTS so we're likely to make similar comparisons. We're sailing with 6 newbie cruiser in their upper 20's so I'm just hoping their expectations will be met. We always talk to them about how awesome cruising is.

Did you try the punchliner brunch or specialty restaurants? I'm more curious about the food quality than the comedy. From your review among others, I think we'll avoid the breakfast buffet, production shows, and pool area during prime times. Any other tips you have to share would be appreciated!

Archived