I think the Dawn is tendering in Cozumel EVERY time there are 7 ships in port

rjm11

So if you look at cruisett or some similar site that lists the number of ships in port, it appears that every third Friday (roughly- there are a couple times in March where it's every second Friday) there are 7 ships in Cozumel, including three NCL ships. Reports back from the Dawn are that they are "rotating" who has to tender- it appears that it's always the Dawn though, am I right? She's tendering about every third week, and the Star and Pearl are NEVER tendering? Has anyone tendered off the Star or Pearl yet this year? Doesn't quite seem like "rotating" unless it's on an annual basis (Dawn tenders this year, Star next year or something....). I will be on the Dawn the last week of March- there are 7 ships in port- so I'll be tendering?

So if you look at cruisett or some similar site that lists the number of ships in port, it appears that every third Friday (roughly- there are a couple times in March where it's every second Friday) there are 7 ships in Cozumel, including three NCL ships. Reports back from the Dawn are that they are "rotating" who has to tender- it appears that it's always the Dawn though, am I right? She's tendering about every third week, and the Star and Pearl are NEVER tendering? Has anyone tendered off the Star or Pearl yet this year? Doesn't quite seem like "rotating" unless it's on an annual basis (Dawn tenders this year, Star next year or something....). I will be on the Dawn the last week of March- there are 7 ships in port- so I'll be tendering?

We were just on the Dawn Dec 2 and Dec 9, 2012. The Dawn was supposed to tender for the Dec 2's cruise but ended up docking but not downtown. For the Dec 9th cruise, (Dawn's week to dock) we docked at Punta Lagosta, the dock which is right downtown. We were told that the Dawn is "supposed" to tender every other week.

We are on Dawn in two weeks with 7 ships in Port (on a Friday) and it says we will be docked.

It says you will dock on all 3 ships docs. If all three are there one will tender. I know the Pearl won't be there for at least one week this month as it is chartered.

I know it has been said that it is "supposed" to rotate... but so far I've ONLY heard of the Dawn tendering. It seems to do every other week, which is the only time tendering is needed (7+ ships in port only seems to happen every other Friday). This is a little frustrating, because had I known that in advance, I probably would have picked the Star from NO.

When all 3 NCL ships are in Cozumel ( Dawn, Star, Pearl) normally one tenders and they rotate which of the 3 tenders.

That's my question... I don't think it looks like it's being rotated- has anyone heard of the Star or Pearl tendering at all yet this season?

Let me rephrase my post.....

The captain was at the Q&A session said that at the start of each season the captains decide who is going to tender each week. MAYBE the Dawn captain picked to tender so many weeks in a row and get it over with? I had posted taking turns but that could have been the route he went.

7 ships in port the day we were there in Cozumel (Dec 21st) and the Dawn docked that day too. (We were on the Star-docked, with the Pearl-docked beside us).

But Mitsugirly, your pictures show the Dawn TENDERED (anchored), not docked...

Let me rephrase my post.....

The captain was at the Q&A session said that at the start of each season the captains decide who is going to tender each week. MAYBE the Dawn captain picked to tender so many weeks in a row and get it over with? I had posted taking turns but that could have been the route he went.

Yes, maybe that's the case... hopefully, because it seems a tad unfair otherwise! :) At any rate I know we'll have a great cruise- but I just paid for an all-inclusive in Cozumel, so I'd like to be able to get to it before noon! Ha!

But Mitsugirly, your pictures show the Dawn TENDERED (anchored), not docked...

Whoops, that's what I meant to type...they tendered and we docked. :p (That's what happens when you son is flapping in your ear while you try to type...lol) :D I was just confirming that they "docked" out in the water and tendered.

Yes, maybe that's the case... hopefully, because it seems a tad unfair otherwise! :) At any rate I know we'll have a great cruise- but I just paid for an all-inclusive in Cozumel, so I'd like to be able to get to it before noon! Ha!

I don't think you'll have a problem getting there by noon. ;) Just know that they anchor right there close to the other ships. It's nothing like Belize where they are way out in the ocean and you have a long 30 minute trip to the port. They are right there. I'm guessing maybe a 5 minute ride on the tender.

You can see how close the Dawn was to us in this picture:

PC200920-M.jpg

This was taken from the front of our ship (you can see the handrailing of our ship in the bottom portion of the ship so it's not zoomed in or anything)

PC200950-M.jpg

PC200913-M.jpg

Also, I was thinking about it...could it depend on what time the ships arrive? We were the first to arrive on the Star and had already got off the ship and was gone (and the Pearl or Dawn was no where in site when we got off) before the other 2 ships came in.

Maybe they go by who gets there first? It might help to check their itineraries to see what times they are due in port for the day you are going.

I also know we were the first to leave that day as well. So I'm thinking maybe first in first to leave gets the dock in that order? Just a guess/thought. :confused:

That could be.... the Pearl is always scheduled at 10am, and the Star and Dawn both 8am. Maybe the Star is faster, and they won't tender the Pearl because she's bigger? I don't know, but I wish they would have advertised this as a tender port for certain dates- like I said I would have chosen the Star had I known that.

It's not by who gets there first. The Star was docked last week when we put down anchor. The Pearl cruised by us to the pier about an hour later.

The tendering was easy and fast! Get a tender ticket and wait for your number to be called. About 10:30am it's tendering without a number. You will wait for the boat to fill up and leave longer than you are sailing over to the port, 5 minutes maybe. The seas were easy last week at every port too.

I think tender tickets were given out before 8am, you could be on your way to your resort by 8:30 I bet!

We waited a bit before getting a ticket to enjoy the morning a bit longer and were on the port heading to our resort by 9:15 or so.

I am sailing Feb 24th and my Edocs say that we are anchoring in Roatan and Belize and docking in Coz and Costa Maya. Does anyone know if they change this or does it stay the same once its on the Edocs? Thanks won't make or break my trip just curious.

They change it. Last year our eDocs also said "tendering" in Roatan (and many other posters here reported it on their weeks too) and as far as I know it only happened once. Every other time, it seemed as though NCL docked at Coxen Hole. Now this year, from I've read, I think everyone's eDocs are saying "docked" in cozumel- even those who ended up tendering there- am I correct on that?

My understanding is the Star always get to dock and does not rotate. The Pearl and the Dawn rotate the dock space next to Star. The ship that does not get to dock next to Star either anchor nearby or gets a spot at another dock further down the island.

Coka

My understanding is the Star always get to dock and does not rotate. The Pearl and the Dawn rotate the dock space next to Star. The ship that does not get to dock next to Star either anchor nearby or gets a spot at another dock further down the island.

Coka

that doesnt make sense why would the star always get to dock.. the pearl is bigger than the star right?

Coka

We were on the Star 12/21 (w/ Mitsugirly) I asked one of the officers how it gets decided on who docks or tenders. Here was his response. The Star always docks because they have a British travel group that embarks each week in Cozumel. I think it is a Virgin tour group that does 7 days coz-coz roundtrip. Can you imagine embarkation and tendering?? :eek: He then explained that when 3 NCL ships are in port that they Dawn & Pearl take turns docking.

Archived