Extra meals "to go" for hungry teen

Breezy72

I understand that one can order extra meals in the MDR, but how are they with "to go" boxes? My 14 yr old son has a hallow leg ;) and 20 minutes after eating, he's hungry again. Can we order extra meals/desserts and take with us for later?

And yes, I know there's room service and pizza (he's not a huge pizza fan), but just want to know all of our options incase he's wanting a repeat of dinner... which is normally the case!:rolleyes:

BTW: we have the late dinner seating (8:15) so later meals will be limited due to hours of operation, or so I've read.

Thanks in advance!

You could request that, though I think it would be a bit awkward.

The waiter brings all of the dishes for each course at the same time - a huge tray stacked with for example all of the entrees for the table. These are covered with plastic domed lids.

The plates (sans lids) are placed in front of the diners. As many order more than one dish, at that point the table is pretty full. Any extra entree ordered by your son would go where?

The waiter stations are full capacity, and need to be empty to serve the next course, so it would have to go on the table - not really fair to the other guests and not very appetizing.

The kitchen then moves onto desert service - so you can't ask the waiter to bring the entree up when you finish (as you can in a more typical restaurant).

Better suggestion: The deli is open until 11:00 p.m. - they make absolutely amazing hot sandwiches (and also smoked salmon/bagel).

Another idea is for him to raid the buffet before your sit down dinner, and stock the room with late snacks from the buffet.

I agree, it is probably more conducive for the flow of dinner to feed him before, and let him utilize the deli services or room service later in the evening if he's not much into pizza... At least with room service, he can get a cold sandwich that will be more filling.....but let him pay the room service tip out of his hollow leg!! :p;)

The lady that did a port talk on our Panama canal trip said that since it was a long day with questionable opportunities for eating, she suggested that everyone grab an extra box (or 2) of Cereal from the breakfast buffet line for a good and filling snack.

I dont see getting food to go from the mdr as being an option but as others said have the dinner in the mdr being his 2nd dinner since you have late seating. I think the buffet dinner starts about 5pm I think then he could have the deli as his late night snack before they close at 11pm and there is always room service.

I don't think your chances of getting a dinner to go after your son has eaten dinner is likely to happen. As mentioned, if he eats that much, have him go to the buffet for his first dinner, then join the rest of you for your regular dinner.

What does he do at home? This might also make a difference. If he gets a snack after dinner at home, then perhaps a sandwich might work after dinner or the worst case scenario is that you bring snacks from home that he would like. Good luck.

Ok, thanks all! This just confirms what I pretty much already knew... just wanted to ask some more seasoned cruisers what they have done/seen in the past. Great info!

The deli being open till 11pm is good. I got the impression most eateries closed down by 10pm.

I never stop him from "snacking" before dinner as I know he will eat at least two helpings during dinner! Hitting the buffet or sushi prior to dinner would help curb the appetite.

I have a feeling the room service will be utilized more so this time around! And yes, kids know they have to tip! ;) He's a lover of sandwiches so this may be right up his alley.

And incase any of you were wondering... DS is 14, 5'9" and weighs 155 lbs and zero fat; just tall with lots of muscle and bone! I resent him!:D lol

P.S. If anyone is sailing with us, let me forewarn you that there may be a shortage of Guys Burgers once my son finds it! :p

bring some zip lock baggies or containers. have ds hit the buffet in advance and store it in mini cooler.

i understand about feeding the bottomless pit. my oldest ds was that way when he played football. there was not bottom to his stomach/appetite.

now ds-8 is the same way....awww, to have their metabolism!!!!!!!! :p

seriously..don't add the extra work for the waiters...just do pre MDR buffet..and post MDR room service or late night buffet..usually something is available until 11pm.

He won't starve to death...and it might be a good opportunity for him to get used to not having food at his beck and call...I see from your posts that he is skinny as a rail of course! LOL

Ok, thanks all! This just confirms what I pretty much already knew... just wanted to ask some more seasoned cruisers what they have done/seen in the past. Great info!

The deli being open till 11pm is good. I got the impression most eateries closed down by 10pm.

I never stop him from "snacking" before dinner as I know he will eat at least two helpings during dinner! Hitting the buffet or sushi prior to dinner would help curb the appetite.

I have a feeling the room service will be utilized more so this time around! And yes, kids know they have to tip! ;) He's a lover of sandwiches so this may be right up his alley.

And incase any of you were wondering... DS is 14, 5'9" and weighs 155 lbs and zero fat; just tall with lots of muscle and bone! I resent him!:D lol

P.S. If anyone is sailing with us, let me forewarn you that there may be a shortage of Guys Burgers once my son finds it! :p

Good lord once he finds Guys burgers he may blow up like a tick:) They are that good

bring sweatpants lol

Good lord once he finds Guys burgers he may blow up like a tick:) They are that good

bring sweatpants lol

Isn't that the truth... They are so flippen good and I loved the French fries as well.

We usually ordered 2 appetizers but only 1 entree but like mentioned earlier he can order 2 main dishes just order at the beginning all at the same time to help the waiters. Have a great cruise... He won't go hungery!

I do believe the waiters are prohibited from letting people take to go plates from the MDR. You also run into the storage issue - the in room fridges aren't cold enough for food safety and are meant for beverages.

My dh always jokes about the amount of food he could eat as a teenager... he says it's amazing. :p

Another option is what they usually call "late night snacks" that usually run from 11pm to 1am or so. It's usually stuff like chicken sandwiches, grilled cheese, fries, cookies, hot dogs... plenty of stuff that teenagers will love. :)

Oh to be a teenager or young adult and eat like that again... I could eat a whole 14 inch pizza by myself in those days, and burn it off the following day. Now I'm lucky to finish two slices of the same size pizza... It is no longer economical for us to go to an All-You-Can-Eat, we just don't get our money's worth! :(

Recently sat next to a family of four in the MDR. Two must have been having sea sickness issues and left after the entree.

The waiter served 2 desserts on plates and 2 in togo plates/covers (that's how the food comes out) they simply removed the cover before serving. It didn't seem to be an issue for them.

I have 2 boys (14 and 15) who also have hollow legs, and they managed to graze all day (and night!) long on our cruises, and never once complained of being "starving" like they do at home (;)). As a matter of fact, they want to go on more cruises just so they can eat! Sometimes the teen clubs have late night parties involving food as well.

Thanks again to all for the info! It's good to know the ordering etiquette of the MDR. If I didn't ask here, I may have asked a waiter if this was possible, however, I would never demand or insist on having "to go" meals, especially now knowing how much extra work it is for them. "our vacation was ruined because we couldn't get 'to go' meals!!" :rolleyes: Surely someone will post that at some point!

And not to sound like a huge dummy, I asked this because I've read where others have had meals "to go" for sick people in their cabin. So... I took a shot and glad I asked! :D

As a general rule, taking food to go from the MDR is not allowed. There are exceptions when someone in the cabin is ill or can't come to the dining room that evening.

You should discuss this with the MD, but if they started allowing this on a widespread basis then it would get out of control easily. There are a lot of people who would like to have dinner on their balcony, but the consistent answer from Carnival is no.

The alternative dining options include:

Regular Lido buffet from 6:00 - 9:30

Sushi 5:00 - 8:15pm

Late Night Buffet 11:30 - 1:00am

Deli 11am to 11pm

Pizza 24 hours

Room Service 24 hours

As a general rule, taking food to go from the MDR is not allowed. There are exceptions when someone in the cabin is ill or can't come to the dining room that evening.

You should discuss this with the MD, but if they started allowing this on a widespread basis then it would get out of control easily. There are a lot of people who would like to have dinner on their balcony, but the consistent answer from Carnival is no.

The alternative dining options include:

Regular Lido buffet from 6:00 - 9:30

Sushi 5:00 - 8:15pm

Late Night Buffet 11:30 - 1:00am

Deli 11am to 11pm

Pizza 24 hours

Room Service 24 hours

Apparently the left hand doesnt always know what the right hand or they make up policies as they go.

A few years ago our son was hung over and couldnt make it to dinner. We ordered for him to take back and they insisted on having room service pick it up and deliver. Made no sense as we had to go back to the cabin and be there for delivery as he was asleep and not ready to get up.

Last cruise my wife was not feeling well (not hungover) and the waiter had no problem packing up a dinner order for me to take back to our cabin.

Apparently the left hand doesnt always know what the right hand or they make up policies as they go.

Last cruise my wife was not feeling well (not hungover) and the waiter had no problem packing up a dinner order for me to take back to our cabin.

This has been our experience as well.

I would suggest extra at dinner time so its fresh and hot. Then room service, BUT he knows what he likes and so be it.

Archived