Phone card/cell phone question

We are going to be on an Aust/New Zealand cruise in a week. We were thinking about purchasing a phone card so we can keep in touch with family in Hawaii. Would it be better to purchase a phone card in New Zealand after we get there? Also, has anyone purchased disposable cell phones to use while there, instead? We're not sure the way to go. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

When we visit NZ we buy a $10 SIM card from 2 degrees, replace our home SIM with the 2degree one and then top up with $20 or $30. You will get a NZ 2Degree mobile phone number and can let your family know that number by phone or e-mail. 2Degrees phone calls to USA cost 44 cents per minute and SMS only 9 cents. You will need to check if your USA phone company can receive e-mail from 2 degrees. Just go to "2degreesmobile.co.nz" to chech details. This method will give you much cheaper rates than global roaming.

Enjoy your cruise - NZ is a beautiful country.

Is your phone 'locked' to your current carrier? I assume over there is like here - carriers sell phones locked into their own networks. Unless it is an unlocked phone, putting any sim in from NZ or Aus will not work.

I assume over there is like here - carriers sell phones locked into their own networks. Unless it is an unlocked phone, putting any sim in from NZ or Aus will not work.

As far as I am aware, most phones here in NZ aren't locked into a network, we can swap networks freely.

Hi,

If you land in NZ first you can buy a phone in NZ if you dock at Auckland first stop then you can purchase for about $49 an unlocked phone from a shop called 'THE WAREHOUSE' just ask everyone knows it, they are all over NZ and it's directly across from the road from where the ship docks. Its in the 'WESTFIELD SHOPPING CENTRE' upstairs they also sell the 2degree sims and recharges. (Other shops have unlocked phones as well and 2 degree recharges are available all over NZ. You might like to consider purchasing a couple of $20 recharge vouchers and then you can just top up with the second one when the first one expires. It will work in Ausi and NZ www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/welcome

Yes txts are 9c each while you are in NZ.

But if you travel to Australia with the 2degrees prepaid the charges change to International Roaming and txts then become 79c each.

Also check there website as the per minute for a call to USA changes to ?

and if someone rings you from USA you will also pay so much a minute to receive the call in Australia. Check there website for prices.

If you land in Australia first for a few days and need a phone, just puchase an unlocked one and put a $2 Virgin Sim and top up with $15 long expiry prepaid for example, but just use in Ausi for txts as call rate's very expensive.

Or if u purchase a $29 Virgin prepaid this lasts 30 days you get approx $450 credit to spend, not sure exact amount. Just depends where you land first and how long you are going to be in Australia as well. www.virginmobile.com there are many other prepaids in Ausi this is just one I use, but it doesn't work in NZ to call back to Ausi.

The unlocked phone you can then take and use in NZ YES but the Virgin Prepaid sim card you can't. You'd have to get a 2degree as above.

and 2 degree's works great for me.

Hope I haven't confused you to much, haha think I confused myself typing this but bit short on time to rehash it sorry. I am using this system myself at the moment.

Enjoy your holiday... :)

Cheers

Robyn

Kiwi_cruiser

As far as I am aware, most phones here in NZ aren't locked into a network, we can swap networks freely.

I am not all that up with them but I did notice at the weekend an ad for a locked phone. It was for some company I have never heard of and was a ridiculously cheap package , phone ,sim ,prepay etc. However in the very very small print it did say that for x dollars you could buy the unlocking code, which then took it back up to a normal price,:D:D

Archived