Cruise Care Insurance for RCCL

shorbr

That's what the documentation says and what I expected, but here is the email I got:

Please note that we have completed our review of the Trip Cancellation claim for xxxxxxxx.

Within the next 2 business days a check will be mailed, along with any applicable explanation of payment, to the address provided with your claim information.

Sincerely,

Berkely

Maybe my memory is failing, but I thought there was a distinction between cancelling for a covered reason, and otherwise.

In other words, if you have to cancel for a covered reason, you get a refund in cash.

If you cancel for other than a covered reason, you get 75% of cruise fare as a future cruise credit.

We always get and used it a couple of years ago when my daughter was rushed to the hospital. The process in getting reimbursment was easy and basically got most of my cruise/airline moneys. For the money it's worth it.

Funny I came across this after just taking a dive on my front walkway tonight that ~looked~ wet but in fact was a sheet of ice :(. Luckily I landed on one knee and kind of skidded a bit but can already feel the ache in my knee! I travel with cancellation insurance on my CC ($60/yr addon) for up to $3000 pp as well as my work medical plan. With all this talk of medivac I figured I'd check out my policy again just to make sure. My plan covers $1,000,000 (not a lot in this day and age unfortunately) and also includes:

Evacuation Benefit

If, as a result of Injury, Sickness or Disease, an Insured Person requires any of the following evacuations:

1. transportation by any conveyance (other than ground ambulance) licensed to carry passengers for hire, including air ambulance, from the place of Accident, Sickness or Disease to the nearest Hospital that is equipped to provide the required treatment (or medical facility or doctor’s clinic, when warranted) provided the evacuation is recommended by the attending Physician and approved by the Insurer.

I think I will call just to make sure evac off a ship would be included as I still own my appendix, gall bladder and obviously by tonight am prone to falls lol

My plan will also cover an artificial eye, iron lung???) & chiro/massage if ordered by a doc too... Hmmmm... trip to the ship doc for an rx and go directly to the spa ;)

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

I cancelled two cruises just before the sail dates due to health reasons. I had RCCL insurance through Berkely Care. Both times the paper work was completed by my physician and myself and I had the check within several weeks. I believe the checks were minus the cost of travel insurance for DH and myself. To me that was reason alone to have the travel insurance. A small price to pay for the peace of mind.

Laura

• 1 month later...

I buy it mainly for the medical. It doesn't matter if you are young or old.

I remember a young woman tripping on the cobble stones in Pompeii. Broke her arm and had some other serious bruises. I don't want to take a chance on out-of-network charges. Sure you will need a credit card, but eventually you'll get your reimbursement.

I'll be frank, I always buy RCCL, because I'm too lazy to do all of the research. Sure RCCL gets a commission like any other insurance agent, but I'm counting on them to chose a reliable company.

Enjoy your cruise.

Is it really necessary to buy insurance for your cruise? It seems like it has so many restrictions and seems like it is a waste of money to purchase.

No flames please.

A month and a week or two before we were to leave on a cruise my sister was diagnosised with the early stages of breast cancer. Within one month she had a mammogram, surgical biopsy, partial mastectomy and started the first of thirty-two radiation therapies. This all took place after the final payment due date.

If we had not had cruise insurance we would have lost all our money.

Paid our cruise in full Dec was just looking at cc statement they billed us for insurance, 249 per person. I called TA and told her we did not want or ask for it. She is trying to get a refund on our cc. RC said the insurance was added on by TA, she said no. What a mess. Anything like this happend to anyone?:rolleyes: 500 bucks is alot and if I want insurance I would have gotten it when booked a year ago.

A month and a week or two before we were to leave on a cruise my sister was diagnosised with the early stages of breast cancer. Within one month she had a mammogram, surgical biopsy, partial mastectomy and started the first of thirty-two radiation therapies. This all took place after the final payment due date.

If we had not had cruise insurance we would have lost all our money.

Oh my...but how is she doing now which is most important. I too had to cancel a cruise some years ago...at the last minute. RCCL was very understanding in that regard and they refunded everything with no penalties!

Paid our cruise in full Dec was just looking at cc statement they billed us for insurance, 249 per person. I called TA and told her we did not want or ask for it. She is trying to get a refund on our cc. RC said the insurance was added on by TA, she said no. What a mess. Anything like this happend to anyone?:rolleyes: 500 bucks is alot and if I want insurance I would have gotten it when booked a year ago.

RCCL's prices are on their web site. $249pp is almost double what Royal charges for 7 days.:eek:

Hope you get your money back.

The price of RCL insurance varies by the category of cabin. The higher the cabin the higher the insurance.

Cost of Cruise 1 per 2 people

0 -500 $29 $58

500 - 1000 $59 $118

1000 - 1500 $89 $178

1500 - 2000 $119 $238

2000 - 2500 $159 $318

2500 - 3000 $199 $398

3000 - 3500 $259 $518

3500 - 4000 $299 $598

4000 - 4500 $339 $678

4500 - 5000 $379 $758

>5000 $419 $838