Suggestions for MUST BRING

SeaHoliday

Medication including OTC (sore throat and other meds can cost arm and leg and can only be purchased at sea). Personal hygiene items. Good comfortable walking shoes. ID (passport and/or Birth certificates and photo ID). Nightlight if you have inside cabin. Watch.

Edited by ccruisequeen

I used to bring bags and bags of crap. No longer! I cruise with just my backpack and a small carry-on anymore. I found all those extra things I would bring generally stayed in the closet/drawer and really didn't give me much more added convenience. No need to overload yourself with useless things like power strips unless you are bunking with 4 people or plan on spending countless hours in your cabin, imo. :)

The essentials I bring now are just toiletries, sun block, clothes, passport, sunglasses and my positive cruisin' attitude!

Lots and lots of 1.00 dollar bills! I always start out with a stack of them, and go through them so fast. Need them to tip for porters at the peir, and for room service and also when you take excursions, there will be many occasions to tip. So...lots of 1.00 bills, and quite a few fives dollar ones. I start saving them up way in advance of my cruise.:)

-Alarm clock (there are no clocks in the cabins)

-Post Its to leave notes for cabin steward/fellow travelers

-I agree with the OTC stuff...you dont want to have to buy tylenol on the ship!

-A hard plastic waterproof case for your sail and sign, cash, etc etc for the beach in ports. You can keep your important stuff with you and not worry about it on the sand while youre in the water. I suppose that goes for the pool on the ship as well, but I've never worried too much when on the ship.

-LOTS OF BOOKS!!!

Camera, OTC medicine - even if you don't plan on needing it (you'd be surprised!), sunglasses, and phone charger.

This list will grow, I'm sure! I'm curious what everyone else says.

I do agree with the previous post that you don't need to take a lot. Most of it sits in the cabin anyway. :)

HAVE FUN!

Car air freshener (or two). Hang it in the bathroom. You might also want one in the main cabin area. I don't like the smell of the cleaners they use to disinfect the cabin, so I always hang a Yankee Candle Air freshener (Vanilla Lime is my choice).

I was going to say alarm clock, but someone beat me to it. We bring a small LED flashlight -- just in case.

For a night light, we leave the bathroom light on with the door closed. Enough light leaks through the gap at the bottom of the door.

Enjoy --

Edited by tandemcruzr

I bought one of those cheap, plastic wrap around watches to hook on the straps of my bag so I didn't need a watch.

Like someone else mentioned keep light on in bathroom and shut the door for you night light.

No need for alarm clocks, set up a wake up call; haven't missed anything yet!

Definitely any OTC things you will need. (band-aids if you have kids or a DH like mine:), feminine hygiene products, disposable razors (last cruise did not have one in room)

I always take an extra fold up bag inside my suitcase just in case I need more room coming home. This has come in handy twice now.

all the plug-in wires for charging all the "necessary" electronics.

Might even find that a cable that goes from your camera to a TV may come in handy. Most flatscreens have USB ports. It's kinda fun to have a drink and snack and look at the pictures that you took today whist your darling spouse is getting dressed for dinner.

I agree with the others who say take any and all OTC, over the counter meds that you think you might need! I usually do this too. On my Liberty cruise in 2009, I had a pulled muscle in the ribcage, and thought that I was over it, but put me in a strange bed for a couple of nights, and whoa....there it was again, only worse.

I had lots of tylenol and ibuprofen, but what I really wanted was a lotion to rub on, ie; ben gay! So the day we were in Cozumel, I went into that pharmacia they have in the port area, and looked and looked and looked....! On the shelves they had everything from Cipro to Vi**ra, but no Ben Gay! I asked at the cashout desk, and low and behold what does the lady bring out from behind the counter but "ben gay". All that other stuff on the shelves out in the open, and the ben gay was behind the counter:D It cost me more than it would at home too.

I doubt I will need it on my next cruise, barring another pulled muscle, but yes OTC, whatever you think you might need, take it along from home.:)

Edited by SMSACE6

I have a battery operated alarm clock that lights up at night. Works great as it gives off a little light so room isn't pitch black. I like having an alarm clock so I can just glance and see what time it is. I don't generally wear a watch.

Suntan lotions, aspirin, tip money. Don't over pack. I learned a long time ago I don't wear half of what I take.

Yes OTC meds for sure and do not forget pepto or alka seltzer. The food is great.

Also a small power outlet extender. No need for a power strip but a 3 outlet plug works great.

A Hat or sunvisor that you wouldn't mind losing, sometimes the wind is crazy up high.

Ziplock bags to water and sand proof your belongings.

I bring an alarm clock because I like to walk in the morning and get started before sunrise. The Fun Times they leave us every night shows the next day's sunrise and sunset times. I set it for about 30 minutes before sunrise. I walk and when there is photo-op, I grab it -- or try to. Some work, some don't. :D