Price Increases for 2014

Rumhead

We have been considering Viking's"Water Ways of the Czars" Russian cruise departing in the fall of 2014 and have found substantial price increases for most cabins compared to prices for 2013, as much as $1,000 per passenger. Is this typical for other river cruise lines? With air and cost of visas, the cost is about the same as for Baltic cruises on mid size luxury ships.

We have been considering Viking's"Water Ways of the Czars" Russian cruise departing in the fall of 2014 and have found substantial price increases for most cabins compared to prices for 2013, as much as $1,000 per passenger. Is this typical for other river cruise lines? With air and cost of visas, the cost is about the same as for Baltic cruises on mid size luxury ships.

Go for the luxury cruise. IMHO!!

That seems like a very significant increase.

What about Uniworld? We did Russia with them this year - and it was great. There brochures aren't out yet for 2014, but they should be soon.

AMA has 2014 rates published - and their increase was about $400 from September 2013 - 2014. We ruled them out as they are one day less than both Viking and Uniworld.

Fran

Go for the luxury cruise. IMHO!!

We looked at doing a Baltic - but Moscow wasn't really possible... and that was part of the draw for us. We also wanted to see the country side of Russia - which you can't see if your time in the country is spent docked in St. Petersburg.

Fran

Oceania offers a good price for ther Ocean View cabin with air; however, the port excursions are very expensive. Most of Viking's port tours are included in the price. Oceania dining is much better, but Vkiing provides free wine and beer with lunch and dinner!!! I will probably decide on Oceania for the variety of ports.

Oceania offers a good price for ther Ocean View cabin with air; however, the port excursions are very expensive.QUOTE]

If you do decide on Oceania, join the CC roll call for your particular trip. I did that for a recent Baltic cruise and was able to join a small group (10) for private tours in St. Pete and other places. The cost was more reasonable and having a small group allowed our guides to cater to our needs!

Oceania offers a good price for ther Ocean View cabin with air; however, the port excursions are very expensive. Most of Viking's port tours are included in the price. Oceania dining is much better, but Vkiing provides free wine and beer with lunch and dinner!!! I will probably decide on Oceania for the variety of ports.

On first look, river cruising usually seems more expensive. When you add in all of the extras that are including with river cruising - and extra with the big ships - I expect you will find the costs comparable. DH and I have discussed a Baltic cruise - but were warned by our TA that other clients who have taken a Baltic (and enjoyed it, by the way) did comment on the cost of any excursions.

If you do decide to do a Baltic cruise, then one option is a private guide in St. Petersburg. There are a number of companies listed here on Cruise Critic (Red October, Alla Tours) and people have been pleased. We used toursbylocals.com in Moscow and they have tours in SP as well.

You do need to travel with an approved Russian tour guide to get off the boat in Russia - unless you want to purchase a Visa. The visa process is quite extensive - and expensive - when there are other options.

Good luck with your planning!!

Fran

We did that cruise a couple of years ago with Grand Circle and we LOVED it. I think you will see and experience a lot more on this type of cruise than a Baltic "ocean liner" cruise. Granted, everything you will see and visit will be in Russia, but it is fascinating and Moscow is a great city to visit and as you said, on a Baltic cruise, Moscow is pretty much ruled out. One other thing to consider, on a river cruise you will spend very, very little in addition to the fare. On the Baltic "ocean liner" cruise, tours and excursions can add up. And ya, I think they want less information if you were applying for the job of director of the CIA than the information they want for a Russian visa!

Archived