Pre paid Tips

Sam The Cat

I just printed out our tickets and the prepaid tips are not listed even though the cabana that I ordered is.

This is the first time I prepaid tips and was wondering if this the norm and should I take a couple of an earlier invoice which shows the payment of the tips

Sam

I just printed out our tickets and the prepaid tips are not listed even though the cabana that I ordered is.

This is the first time I prepaid tips and was wondering if this the norm and should I take a couple of an earlier invoice which shows the payment of the tips

Sam

Hey Sam,

We have pre-paid the DSC too and that does not show on the tickets. I do see it marked a pre-paid on "My NCL" so I called and got an amenities receipt which showed the pre-paid grats... just incase... can never be too prepared. :D

BTW this was the same for our last cruise too.

What is this about prepaying tips? My DH made final payment on the Jade today. He said the TA said something about prepaying tips. We have never done so, so he declined.

We feel the auto tip on board is as much in advance we wish to pay tips. We always tip more in cash on board as well.

We have not been on NCL in 10 years, so wondering if prepaying before boarding is routine on NCL?

You'll want to ask for a "Amenity Confirmation" from your TA or if you booked directly, from NCL. That will show your prepaid service charges, possible Bon Voyage purchases etc. The Cabana is a shore excursion and prebooked those are printed in the main invoice/confirmation.

What is this about prepaying tips? My DH made final payment on the Jade today. He said the TA said something about prepaying tips. We have never done so, so he declined.

We feel the auto tip on board is as much in advance we wish to pay tips. We always tip more in cash on board as well.

We have not been on NCL in 10 years, so wondering if prepaying before boarding is routine on NCL?

No it is not a routine. We have begun to prepay the daily service charges because we want to either make sure that we'll get the best of the exhange rates (USD is very weak at the moment so that suites us very well) or we want to spread out the expenses from the whole holiday and have more room for possible "splurges" on our credit cards. :)

OP - I print out a copy of my records from the NCL website and it shows the DSC. I take this print out with me. I already have it printed out for our upcoming cruise and it is not for another 4 months.

As far as prepaying the DSC, this is totally up to you. What makes you more comfortable. For my husband and I, we like to have it all taken care of in advance. My onboard account will be less now. Its a way to budget ourselves. There is no right or wrong here

The ability to be able to prepay the DSC is a relatively new option on NCL. Some prefer to get it out of the way so they know whatever they spend onboard is optional and can budget better. Some just want to plain get it out of the way. Some wish to have it added daily on their onboard account like it's always been Totally your preference.

Sam

Apparently your prepay tips it doesn't show up on e-docs. I just went in to my NCL and printed off the page where it showed what I had prepaid (tips, excursion, and specialty dining) even though the last two show up. I like to be prepared, just in case there's a problem when I get my final bill.

If you are booking in UK then prepaying DSC is the default setting. Also, it is cheaper than 12USD pppd so it is worth doing for UK cruisers.

Apparently your prepay tips it doesn't show up on e-docs. I just went in to my NCL and printed off the page where it showed what I had prepaid (tips, excursion, and specialty dining) even though the last two show up. I like to be prepared, just in case there's a problem when I get my final bill.

I think the prepaid amount is added to your final bill. In that case it wouldn't show up yet since it hasn't been paid yet, just billed.

I prepaid our service charges today on my ncl and within half an hour received an email that outlined our fare, taxes and prepaid service charges as separate line items and then indicated it had all been paid with a complete payment history. I plan on taking that sheet with us.

Maybe I will do this I do have docimentation that the tips are paid but it just was not on the ticket that you print out to take with you

Thanks for the information on prepaying tips. I can see depending on where you live, may have some advantages.

As US citizens, paying in USD no advantage to us, so will do after the cruise along with other on board charges. Glad there are lots of options for folks to do what works best for them.

Thanks for the information on prepaying tips. I can see depending on where you live, may have some advantages.

As US citizens, paying in USD no advantage to us, so will do after the cruise along with other on board charges. Glad there are lots of options for folks to do what works best for them.

I'm a US citizen paying in USD and the advantage to me is that when it is paid with the final payment it is not on the same credit card billing as all the onboard ship expenses. Helps my budgeting.

I'm a US citizen paying in USD and the advantage to me is that when it is paid with the final payment it is not on the same credit card billing as all the onboard ship expenses. Helps my budgeting.

Agree, all my prepaids come on one bill, the rest of the cruise expenses come up on the next. It doesn't make a lot of difference but it makes a little smaller bill to pay each time.

This! I take my total cruise cost + tips and divide it out by the number of months until the cruise. Keeps me from having one large payment at final payment and also means it's less on the onboard account when I get off.

This! I take my total cruise cost + tips and divide it out by the number of months until the cruise. Keeps me from having one large payment at final payment and also means it's less on the onboard account when I get off.

I usually make monthly payments on the cruise like you however, I waited until the last couple of weeks to pre-book things and prepay tips. The way my CC bill date goes, it allowed me to pay everything I wanted on one bill and then the remainder of the cruise, hotel, etc will be on the next bill. Since I pay the CC off each month, it lets me have a little smaller payment.

It's $12 per person per night of the cruise.

Added automatically to the onboard account? Can it be changed to a different amount by visiting the purser's desk on the last night? That's how Princess did it. Thanks again!

(Don't flame me.... we're going with relatives who are cheap. WE won't change the amount!!)

Added automatically to the onboard account? Can it be changed to a different amount by visiting the purser's desk on the last night? That's how Princess did it. Thanks again!

(Don't flame me.... we're going with relatives who are cheap. WE won't change the amount!!)

The service charged is added to your on board account each day. The amount can be altered if requested of the pursar. Full faq's at http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Yes, the amount can be changed up or down for ANY reason. Many on this board will call you bad names if you do, but the fact remains you can adjust it to anything you want for any reason. It's actually better to not mention a reason when you do it, so you will not give them a reason to argue with you about it.

Archived