Recommendations for NZ Travel Books

K4Windy

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

I will be going Down Under in March 2014 on the Solstice and looking for a recommendation on a indepth travel guide book for New Zealand. We already have the Lonely Planet copy for New Zealand but would love for other suggestions.

Prefer ebook options.

Happy researching!

I think Rough Guide and Lonely Planet are the best travel guides for New Zealand. If you find Rough Guide too similar to Lonely Planet for your tastes, take a look at the DK Eyewitness Guide for NZ. It's got great maps and illustrations.

I also suggest you go to your local public library and see what's in their collection. You should find NZ guidebooks under call number 919.3. (Our public library has both hard copies and e-books which can be checked out.) Thus, should you want to take some guidebooks on your trip, you can "see" before you buy.

I have Eyewitness New Zealand, Frommer's New Zealand Day By Day, and The Rough Guide to New Zealand (my most recent acquisition). I love the photos in the Eyewitness and Frommer's books, but the Rough Guide looks most helpful. I will be spending time in NZ on a land trip after my cruise ends in Auckland, and the Rough Guide is the book I'll bring with me.

Archived