1 Night Repo Cruise

I'm looking at the end of September 2013 Westerdam from Seattle to Vancouver. It would be a great way to get us from Seattle to Vancouver to catch the Statendam leaving the next day - Vancouver to San Diego.

Has anyone done a 1 nighter? Is the Pinnacle open? What type of food would be served in the diningroom that night?

I'm looking at the end of September 2013 Westerdam from Seattle to Vancouver. It would be a great way to get us from Seattle to Vancouver to catch the Statendam leaving the next day - Vancouver to San Diego.

Has anyone done a 1 nighter? Is the Pinnacle open? What type of food would be served in the diningroom that night?

If you would be getting on in Seattle and getting off in San Diego, that combination would not be allowed due to the Passenger Vessel Services Act. Sorry

If you would be getting on in Seattle and getting off in San Diego, that combination would not be allowed due to the Passenger Vessel Services Act. Sorry

OP said Seattle to Vancouver - Westerdam, overnighting, then Vancouver to San Diego next day different ship.

That should be legal

OP said Seattle to Vancouver - Westerdam, overnighting, then Vancouver to San Diego next day different ship.

That should be legal

While by the "letter of the law" it might be legal, others have posted that they were not allowed to book these types of cruises together because of the PVSA.

Just checked with HAL and it can not be done. Rep said Vancouver is not considered a DISTANT foreign port. So, if we decide to do the Statendam we'll have to Amtrack it from Seattle to Vancouver.

I'm still not getting why then a trip that originates and ends in San Diego by way of Hawaii is OK by stopping in Ensenada Mexico. Maybe someone on the Boards can answer that question.

Why would it not be legal? Getting on in US and getting off in Canada. Then get on in Canada and go back to the US. Certainly have complied with the foreign port requirement - and it's 2 different cruises.

Without getting into the fine points of the law, while what you are suggesting might be legal according to "the letter of the law", all cruise lines are taking the position that it is not.

Just checked with HAL and it can not be done. Rep said Vancouver is not considered a DISTANT foreign port. So, if we decide to do the Statendam we'll have to Amtrack it from Seattle to Vancouver.

I'm still not getting why then a trip that originates and ends in San Diego by way of Hawaii is OK by stopping in Ensenada Mexico. Maybe someone on the Boards can answer that question.

San Diego round trip falls under a different part of the law which allows "closed loop" trips if they stop at a "NEAR" (Ensenada) foreign port.

The same is true of Seattle round trips to Alaska that stop at Vancouver

Its funny that you happen to pose this, as I just booked the Statendam repo and when I did I got this meaasge from HAL on my confirmation email:

"IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:

Thank you for booking an upcoming cruise with Holland America Line. Please be

advised that due to the Passenger Vessel Services Act, this sailing cannot be

combined with ms Westerdam - 09/28/2013:

09/28/2013 to 09/29/2013 from Seattle, Washington to Vancouver B.C., Canada

If you have any questions regarding this message, please contact our.."

DaveOKC

That should be legal

You misread- the OP is not overnighting in Vancouver. He/she is arriving and departing the same day.

DaveOKC

Don't waste your time..It's not a 'cruise' it's nothing..

Over the years my DH and I have tried to do the same thing and it always gets flag because of the Jones Act. I'm with Sir PMP, though I understand the convenience of taking the one day to go over to Vancouver, it's nothing.

Last year the ships were so late getting into Vancouver because of high seas and wind the one day cruise ended up being an over nighter. What a waste.

Over the years my DH and I have tried to do the same thing and it always gets flag because of the Jones Act.

Not the Jones Act (which is actually the Merchant Marine Act of 1920) but the PSVA (Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 ) ;) Different laws - Jones Act is in regards to goods, not passengers.

If you can time it right and mix and match the cruise lines, sticking within the acts or laws, the one or two nighters are fantastic.

Some of them are so cheap, it is a better deal than going out to dinner.

Take advantage of them where you can and you get to see inside those ships you may never see.

Forget the nay sayers - clearly they are looking for something different to you!! If I lived in Seattle or Vancouver, I would be on these as often as I could!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Keep,your expectations low and consider it more of an overnight ferry ride than a "cruise". We were on one of the delayed 3 day coastal cruises last may that arrived into Vancouver at 4 pm rather than the usual 7am. We were treated wonderfully with the Lido offering full buffet all day, but unfortunately the passengers getting on for their one day trip that evening had stories of lineups for the MDR, no food in the lido, etc. you also won't be able to take ou tlibrary books, DVDs, etc, due to the brief time on board.

it certainly beats driving, or amtrack, but I would definitely make Pinnacle Grill or Canaletto reservations, so at least you know you'll have a nice meal and can then enjoy the ship.

Maybe I am just too conservative, but I would not try taking another cruise line to get from Seattle to Vancouver the day of a departure from Vancouver to San Diego. In today's computer world, they can track alot of things.

Yes, you could PROBABLY get away with it, but is it worth the risk? If you are denied boarding due to being in violation of the Passenger Service Act (or whatever), you lose the cruise fare and then have to scramble to find another way to Vancouver, plus a hotel night stay at the last minute - which could be expensive and perhaps not at a place you would enjoy.

We are doing his same route on the same day and are just going to take a bus (train is an option) to Vancouver and stay at a nice hotel in Vancouver, which we were able to get a great rate on. Alot less hassle IMO.

DaveOKC

Archived