WHat happens when belize is gone?

vols_159

No.

All major cruise lines reserve the right to change ports with no compensation to the passenger.

If your friend has made final payment she will just have to enjoy Costa Maya. Unless she is a diver then Costa May will be a reasonable alternative. It is much more than a mall. You can do ruins tours, 4x4 tours, ATV tours, snorkeling tours, beach breaks...etc.

Take care,

Mike

As much as I love Belize, especially the islands off shore, most cruisers are scared to death that they'll get bushwhacked by the vendors hawking tours and excursions. It's a long tender ride into port and even though it's less dangerous than waiting for the train at a subway stop to walk around, there's not a lot to see. No local beach/resort. Thus it's an excursion intensive port.

Costa Maya, has a better port complex that many cruisers never leave. Plus the malecon is a short cheap taxi ride away. AI's aren't an arm and a leg and there are a couple of great Mayan ruins tours that aren't overly filled days of long bus rides.

We loved our stop at Costa Maya last year. There are great beaches just a short taxi ride away at Mahahual...good food, great beach, and wonderful massages. Our family members are still talking about what a great stop that was on our cruise last Christmas, which included Belize.

What country are they moving to where Belize used to be ? :D In all seriousness, unfortunately, they can switch anytime. I hope Belize is still a stop for our RCI cruise there in April, as we have an independent tour that I have been trying to book on for 3 years..Have not heard any news re: cruise lines besides Carnival. Looks like if it is a price war for the tender operators, it would affect all lines..:confused:

Our NCL cruise next month is stopping at Belize and Costa Maya. Belize is the port I'm least excited about and Costa Maya is the stop I'm most looking forward to. In fact, we decided to do NCL because they offered an itinerary from the Gulf coast that included Costa Maya.

Which Carnival ship is sailing to Costa Maya now? I wish they would switch out Progreso for Costa Maya on their Galveston sailings!

We loved Costa Maya. Booked a tour of the Chacchoben ruins followed by lunch with a Mayan family at the present Chacchoben village. Chacchoben is an easy one-hour ride from the port area and is well worth the experience. We went with David and Ivan (www dot thenativechoice dot com); they're natives (Ivan's family once owned the land where the ruins are) and they give a great tour.

Hi, if you have not been to Costa Maya , be sure and avoid the beautiful, pricey, tourist trap area at the dock.I have not been to Mahahual, as we did a beach break, but daughter has, and says it is really neat, and just a short hop from dock area. I don't believe they let cabs in, so just walk through the shopping area , and you will see the street that leads out. I too wish CCL would put Costa Maya on the list, rather than Progreso..

Our NCL cruise next month is stopping at Belize and Costa Maya. Belize is the port I'm least excited about and Costa Maya is the stop I'm most looking forward to. In fact, we decided to do NCL because they offered an itinerary from the Gulf coast that included Costa Maya.

Which Carnival ship is sailing to Costa Maya now? I wish they would switch out Progreso for Costa Maya on their Galveston sailings!

Belize is still in on most Carnival cruises. Some are being changed to Costa Maya because of port congestion in Belize. The dates for the Glory are 01/20/2013, 02/03/2013, 02/17/2013, 03/03/2013, 03/17/2013, 03/31/2013, 12/08/2013 & 12/22/2013. Mine is one of them and I am glad. I'll take Costa Maya over Belize any day!!!

We loved Costa Maya. Booked a tour of the Chacchoben ruins followed by lunch with a Mayan family at the present Chacchoben village. Chacchoben is an easy one-hour ride from the port area and is well worth the experience. We went with David and Ivan (www dot thenativechoice dot com); they're natives (Ivan's family once owned the land where the ruins are) and they give a great tour.

I too can vouch for David and Ivan-Had a fabulous time and so informative! Took school supplies to the local school and that was so rewarding-lots of happy kids and grateful teachers!

Have been back a second time and enjoyed the beach, food and great massages!

Take me to Costa Maya anytime over Belize!

Diane

We loved our stop at Costa Maya last year. There are great beaches just a short taxi ride away at Mahahual...good food, great beach, and wonderful massages. Our family members are still talking about what a great stop that was on our cruise last Christmas, which included Belize.

I agree. We had one of the best beach days ever at Mahahual. Short cab ride. Lots of shops, food, drinks, tables and lounge chairs. Tip one of the guys 410 bucks and he will be your best friend for the day. Cheap massages right on the beach...

Yoweee! 410 bucks is a big tip..LOL :)

I agree. We had one of the best beach days ever at Mahahual. Short cab ride. Lots of shops, food, drinks, tables and lounge chairs. Tip one of the guys 410 bucks and he will be your best friend for the day. Cheap massages right on the beach...

How much was the cab ride to Mahaulal (I know I'm not spelling it correctly but I don't feel like opening another window to see the correct spelling)? We have a group of 8 (we can do 4 and 4) and I'm trying to budget.

How much was the cab ride to Mahaulal (I know I'm not spelling it correctly but I don't feel like opening another window to see the correct spelling)? We have a group of 8 (we can do 4 and 4) and I'm trying to budget.

For us it's been $3pp to and $2pp back. Been there 4 times. Love the whole fried fish lunch.

I believe it is spelled 2 ways correctly, Mahahual,or Majahual....

Archived