Taking Alaska Airlines for our Sapphire Cruise

SF

We'll be flying on Alaska Airlines to Seattle in a few weeks for our Sapphire cruise and I was wondering if anyone's had problems with this airline in regards to the baggage handling in Seattle or cancelled flights. I read they were having financial problems and problems with the baggage handlers in Seattle. Any update....where can I call to keep up to date on this?

Show me an airline without financial problems, and I'll either show you Southwest or some non-network carrier with below-market-price aircraft leases and no pension obligations.

Alaska's actually in pretty good shape at the moment - the ground handling issues here in Seattle are essentially solved (the Fairbanks or Ketchikan flight of the other day with the ruined tire from the tug connection notwithstanding). The financial issues are a longer term issue of cost structure, not a near-term issue of stability.

Welcome to Seattle. AS's club room, The Board Room, sells $25 day passes and you might find it a nice place to wait for your flight. Vodka drinks are free, which makes delays and the end of your cruise vacation a little easier to deal with.

Eric

We flew Alaska fom LA to Seattle on 6th May & they "lost" one of our suitcases for about 6 hours. It just happened to be my wife's luggage so you can imagine the panic when all she had in clothing was what she was wearing. We were staying at the Seattle Westin and were contemplating how to purchase a "wardrobe" between 10.00am & embarkation the next day. Macy's were about to be hit by a frantic mother & daughter armed with a credit card & a large shopping basket.

Fortunately the suitcase arrived on a later flight and was delivered to our hotel. I can't fault the staff in the Lost Baggage section of Alaska who suggested we check with them every hour for an update.

Their check-in area at LAX was chaotic with long queues in the baggage security drop off. The passenger security check is very tight (both wands & pat down) but maybe it was because of our international passports. BTW I think LAX is a disgrace for an International airport. When are they going to demolish that complex and replace it with something a la Las Vegas?

We missed our 1.10pm flight from Seattle to NY because of the disembarkation delays but I don't believe that was the fault of Princess and was probably from immigration chokepoints and Port of Seattle's inability to cope with 2 or 3 large cruise ships at one time. The Grayline Bus service seemed to be overwhelmed with numbers and you can imagine drivers over 40 trying to load large numbers of suitcases by themselves.

Air Alaska do not operate any direct flights to NY after the 1.10pm flight so we ended up flying back to LAX to catch a red eye flight at 10.00 pm. At least they were helpful and sympathetic at their Seattle check in.

My advice.....If your booked out of Seattle make sure it's a late afternoon flight in case of disembarkation delays. We were slotted to leave the ship at 9.30am but didn't move until 11.00am then after further delays in the terminal finally left the area around noon; too late to catch the 1.10.

Flown Alaska Airlines twice from So. Cal. to Seattle and loved it. They've never lost a bag or been delayed. If the flight isn't full, you can upgrade to First Class for $50 per person at check-in.

They don't feed you very well in Coach, but that's my only complaint.

*chuckle* They don't feed you very well in first anymore from SoCal either.

One of the posters makes an *EXCELLENT* point about Seattle's inability to handle cruise ship customers. Do NOT take Princess transfers; it's cheaper, faster and more convenient to get a cab, which will drop you on the departure level right at your carrier's check-in, as opposed to the remote facility that the buses are required to disgorge passengers at. This could save you (easily) a half-hour of check-in time, as well as just being speedier in general between pier and airport.

Another note: all gates are connected airside now - do *NOT* hesitate to check out the other security checkpoints before getting in a long line - I've seen three minute waits at C, with 40 minute waits at B, just a few hundred feet away.

Finally, if you have a Southwest Frequent Flyer card, this will work as an elite card for express lane access. Even, oddly, if you're not flying WN.

Eric

Archived