How to Queue aboard MSC Mediterranean sailings

Skipper Tim

Most Northern Europeans and North Americans think that Mediterranean cultures don't know how to queue. I have read it and heard it said countless times for decades. This is not true at all!

When I lived in Spain, it was a regular necessity to go to the one and only bank in the village. This was before ATMs had arrived there and it was a purely cash society. Gradually, one would meet the whole village in the bank. For them it was as much a social occasion as anything as they caught up with the gossip.

To me at first, it was more like a chaotic marketplace with everyone shouting and no visible form of queue for any of the desks. My initial thoughts were "What are they all doing here? Why don't they go outside and do it?". They may have been physically arranged by social grouping but every single one of them knew who was behind them, if not in front of them, in the virtual queues. They think people who stand in line are sad and have no-one to speak to or anything better to do.

Their system of queuing is more sophisticated and socialable. Because they have such highly developed queuing practices, and because we often give way when we shouldn't, they think that we are stupid.

If you really want to fit in this is what you need to learn.

1) Always know who arrived after you.

2) Don't stand in line like a sad person - talk to someone!

3) When you think it may be approaching your turn go to the front.

4) If it isn't, someone will let you know.

5) Repeat until no one stops you.

6) If anyone who arrived after you tries this, politely put them in their place.

On that last point, the easiest way if you don't have the lingo is a simple head gesture to say "behind me": raise the head sharply, maintaining eye contact look sceptical with the eyebrows and, only if need be, click the tongue.

There you see easy! Now get practicing in the bank, local post office, etc. Wherever you see a line of people queuing in silence, just think to yourself "sad people!" and find someone to talk to. Soon you will be ready to enjoy your cruise.

So funny, must try it

Not sure Bout our Italian friends though. Don't think they hVe the same system. WW3 nearly broke out at the hoho stop at Barcelona. There must have been T least mainly Americans wIting pTintly in the rain from a Celevrity ship that had docked just ahead of the Fantasia. We joined the end. The ItaliNs completely ignored Ll of them and Ttempted to boRd the first bus to pull up. When passengers demonstrated, they didn't understand English and attempted to carry on regardless. Needless to say some larger aggrieved guys physically manhandled them off the bus and pointed to the end of the line.

In Palermo at yet another HOHO bus stop (what can I say, my cousin loves them!) they CtuLly had a member of staff issuing numbered tickets as you arrived. They then boarded in strict order number. Despite this the ItaliNs tried to board first about 10 at a time, but took it in reSonably good grace when the door was bRred and they stuck to the person with the appropriate number being called. Maybe it's just a game to them?

So funny, must try it

Not sure Bout our Italian friends though. Don't think they hVe the same system. WW3 nearly broke out at the hoho stop at Barcelona. There must have been T least mainly Americans wIting pTintly in the rain from a Celevrity ship that had docked just ahead of the Fantasia. We joined the end. The ItaliNs completely ignored Ll of them and Ttempted to boRd the first bus to pull up. When passengers demonstrated, they didn't understand English and attempted to carry on regardless. Needless to say some larger aggrieved guys physically manhandled them off the bus and pointed to the end of the line.

In Palermo at yet another HOHO bus stop (what can I say, my cousin loves them!) they CtuLly had a member of staff issuing numbered tickets as you arrived. They then boarded in strict order number. Despite this the ItaliNs tried to board first about 10 at a time, but took it in reSonably good grace when the door was bRred and they stuck to the person with the appropriate number being called. Maybe it's just a game to them?

If you notice carefully, they usually let the person at the front of the queue get on first - then it is a free-for-all because no-one else was apparently trying. Also there is a lot of the "Here we go, stupid foreigners standing in a line again. Lets show them how it is done!"

So funny, must try it

Love your ITeration

My general rule is that whatever nationality, +-95% of people are really nice people and the balance are the A**holes who give the whole nationality a bad name.

Our Merican friends do like to talk very loudly, and often do not seem to have a respect for those around them that may be wanting a little quiet time, perhaps because they are so used to being surrounded by people who just act the same way - on our 25th anniversary we booked at a $25 speciality restaurant and found ourselves adjacent to a table of 2 Merican gentlemen having the loudest general chat... Luckily we had booked late and they left after our 1st course.

But it's all part of the fun - and the majority are just really nice people (hopefully like us?)

Have a nice daiYY

When I come to my son's information in school, I just ask "who is behind me", and than we are group of parents talking and not quecking. It's normal to wait in a groups, otherwise it's instremly boring and nervous thing.

Thank you Daniela.

People here don't believe me. They think I am just joking - I can tell - but you see it is true!

So how the heck are you supposed to talk to someone if you don't speak their language :)

I've been studying Italian for a month now, and my family is counting on me being the "spokesperson for the group" haha Hopefully we'll get past parla inglese!

So how the heck are you supposed to talk to someone if you don't speak their language :)

I've been studying Italian for a month now, and my family is counting on me being the "spokesperson for the group" haha Hopefully we'll get past parla inglese!

Scusi per favore; Permesso per favore; and Posso?

Are all useful phrases too, especially when you get jammed in the back of a lift and it's your floor and need to get out.

It would be a mistake to think that just because you are on a (notionally) Italian ship that everyone is Italian. I would try, "Excuse me", in my best English :)

Agreed. On a lot of the Med cruises most are Italain, with large amounts of Germans too. Elsewhere the nationality mix varies a lot.

And somehow I got a feeling that regardless of nationality, 90% of the passengers will understand a polite "excuse me" in a packed lift. ;)

Failing that, it is back to Peter Sellers, apologies, "the George Raft routine" happened so many times on my Musica cruise and it was genuine.

And somehow I got a feeling that regardless of nationality, 90% of the passengers will understand a polite "excuse me" in a packed lift. ;)

Nope doesn't work, you just get ignored. No doubt puts you in to "stupid foreigner, just ignore them" category. However when I say Permesso per favore, it's like the red sea opening up, with lots of polite comments back. Of course only works when you're hemmed in by a large yammering Italian group!

Nope doesn't work, you just get ignored. No doubt puts you in to "stupid foreigner, just ignore them" category. However when I say Permesso per favore, it's like the red sea opening up, with lots of polite comments back. Of course only works when you're hemmed in by a large yammering Italian group!

Slightly less conventionally, you could say "Pronto!", literally "ready" as in the sense "we have arrived", or having tried and failed another expression, "Subito!" - "immediately!". Finally, if all else fails, shout "Raus!" at the top of your voice and they will move out of the way and merely remember the rude German in the lift with them.

Slightly less conventionally, you could say "Pronto!", literally "ready" as in the sense "we have arrived", or having tried and failed another expression, "Subito!" - "immediately!". Finally, if all else fails, shout "Raus!" at the top of your voice and they will move out of the way and merely remember the rude German in the lift with them.

Love it - especially the "Raus" bit! I'm frequently mistaken for German in any case, I used to think it was the Scottish accent can be a bit guttural, but it often happens before I even open my mouth.

Can't say I'm doing so well with my Italian. Had intended to do some revision over the Christmas break but non ho fatto niente. Haven't made it 2 my first 2 evening classes of the new term either as I couldn't get away from work on time.

Agreed. On a lot of the Med cruises most are Italain, with large amounts of Germans too. Elsewhere the nationality mix varies a lot.

I just booked on the imminent Lirica Transatlantic from Antigua to Genoa, does anyone have a decent estimate of the likely demographics on there?

The Roll Call has only a tiny handful of participants, several of whom seem to be German.

Archived