Jewel Questions - New to NCL but not to cruising

2Oregonians

We've done 4 Princess cruises, but this one will be with family and they chose the Norwegian Jewel for our Alaska cruise this summer. I'm so used to Princess and didn't have to ask any questions, but I do wonder how they do things on NCL.

First off, we have a mini-suite on deck 11. It's 11026. Does anyone have any information on this cabin? I've seen generic mini-suite pictures, but am wondering specifically about THIS cabin 11026. Which side are the beds on? It is an adjoining room to the family suite which is forward of it, and I'm wondering where that adjoining door is located, and if it is obtrusive. Should we ask if there is a non-adjoining room still available? (We won't know the people next door). Also, in looking at pictures of the starboard side of the Jewel, we are forward-ish, just under where the windows above us start to angle outward. If that makes sense! I'm not sure if we're directly after the Family Suite's solid window, or if we're after the Family Suite's deck. In other words, are we just after the dark part in the photos, or just after a deck? Sorry that doesn't make sense, but I can't think of another way to word it!

How are the beds? We will be with my mother, and she and I will be in the separated twin beds, with my husband on the pull-out bed. (He loves to sit on the deck at 4 am. Go figure!) How are the twins, and how is the pull-out couch?

I couldn't find a laundromat on the deck plans. Is there one on deck 11? How much are they, and is there a change machine IN the laundry room? There was on Princess, but it never worked right and I had to run down to the Purser's to get change. Annoying. Also, how long does a wash and a dry take in Jewel's machines?

My father-in-law uses a scooter to get around. He has a handicap room, but there will be 3 people in it. Will his scooter fit in his room so that he can charge it at night? On Princess, they apparently let people charge them in the elevator lobby. We saw lots of them on our last cruise left in the elevator lobby overnight. Is that an option on the Jewel?

Dining - how hard will it be to get a reservation for at least ONE night for all of us to eat together? There will be 17 of us. The rest of the time, I'm sure we'll just scatter and eat on our own, but we do want at least one dinner together.

Also, what dining venues do you recommend? We're not food snobs in the least, but we don't want cruddy greasy food either. We're all a little fluffy, so we're not too terribly diet-conscious, but we also don't want to eat fatty junk that will make us feel bloated. If that gives you an idea of what we'd be after, can you recommend a few venues? I don't know that we'll want to pay at the specialty restaurants more than maybe once. For my husband and me, we don't eat red meat. Me, because I don't like it, and my husband because his cholesterol is high and he swore off red meat a year ago. (Lost 50 lbs!!) I know this is all kind of scattered thoughts, but please help!

If I think of other questions, I'll add them. I do thank you for any help you want to give. I'd LOVE pictures of our cabin! Thanks!!!

I'll start out here. We've been in 11026 on the Pearl and it should be identical to 11026 on the Jewel. And we've been in other minis on the Jewel. The bed is on the right as you enter. The door to the suite next door is to the left. It is a thick door, probably double door. It is completely locked. It blends with the wall and you will never have an issue with it. You will have as much privacy from your neighbor as if the cabins weren't connected. 11026 is the last mini forward that has the larger overhang for the balcony roof. We really like them. In hot, tropical, it keeps some of the mid day sun off the balcony. In Alaska, it provides rain protection from the frequent rain there. You can still use the balcony without getting wet. I love the NCL beds, but that's an individual thing. The minis have a full size couch. So that makes for a slightly larger pull out bed. They are hard, but you can get additional padding if you wish. No NCL ships any longer have a self service laundry. The ship will offer about mid week a laundry special for $25, I think. It's all you can stuff in a provided paper bag. It will be returned with all neatly folded. The following link is to pics of a mini (not 11026 though), but on the Pearl. All should be the same, except no connecting door .

http://s241.beta.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/library/Pearl%20Mini%20Suite

Reference tips, the daily service charge ($12 per person, per day), replaces the need to tip while on the ship. And the service charge also goes to those behind the scenes crew members that would not otherwise receive tips directly. Other than for a few specific services, those employees not being covered by the service charge, you will never need to tip and none is ever expected. However.......you are certainly welcome to do so if you wish. And I do. I love the NCL crew and generally do the following additional. For room service, I tip the person $2. For each round of drinks delivered by a server in a bar/lounge, I tip $1. For the sit down restaurants, including specialty restaurants, for breakfast or lunch in them, I'll tip $3, for evening $5. For our room steward, I leave usually $35 or $40 for a one week cruise. Again....none of this required or expected. Some guests never tip any extra, some tip more than me. You can feel comfortable doing which ever you wish.

I'll try to answer your handicapped cabin question. We had 3 people in a balcony (not mini suite) handicapped cabin on the Pearl (another Jewel class ship) with three of us in the cabin. There was a wall bed for the third person which neither my sister nor I could manage the ladder. The room steward brought us a cot and we used it as a couch during the day and for sleeping at night.

We had three single beds, a desk area, large closet and handicapped bath and still had room to walk around the cabin and park the scooter!

IMG_1287.jpg.0a302b7bc75acb3c29d17c9591365621.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg.d4bfbe53493111fdc4d8429f2d051c31.jpg

Roger001: Do you know if any of the NCL ships have a laundry facility on board. DH and I are sailing on the Jewel in November out of New Orleans and I understand that they have no self-service laundry. I just loved the idea of doing my own laundry, especially when the ship is "out to sea". I know the last cruise we went on was with Carnival and they had a laundry room. Do you think that NCL will put self-service laundry facilites on their ships?

As far as I know, no NCL ship has self service laundry facilities. I understand they did have, some years ago. So I would guess, no..they will not be adding any. Just an opinion though. Actually, the mid week laundry special is a pretty good deal even at $25. If you roll you clothes, you will be surprised how much you can stuff in the laundry bag...and you can have it running out the top. They don't care. The clothes come back in a wicker basket, neatly folded with tissue wrapped around.

Oh, that's great you guys! Thanks so much for the answers. :D

Any thoughts on dining? 17 people together in the dining room? Other than the pay restaurants, is there more than one dining room? Princess had more than one, but that's because one was Traditional (set time each night) and one or two were "Anytime dining". What does the Jewel have? If more than one complimentary dining room, which do you recommend? (If they are different themes or foods?)

Also, at least two rooms for our group will be porthole rooms. What are those like? How big are the portholes? They asked for an obstructed view room and were "upgraded" to portholes. I'd almost rather have the obstructed view because sometimes the obstruction isn't bad at all. I would've wanted a possible room number and do some research for photos of what the view would be like, and THEN make my decision to switch or not. Oh well....

Oh, that's great you guys! Thanks so much for the answers. :D

Any thoughts on dining? 17 people together in the dining room? Other than the pay restaurants, is there more than one dining room? Princess had more than one, but that's because one was Traditional (set time each night) and one or two were "Anytime dining". What does the Jewel have? If more than one complimentary dining room, which do you recommend? (If they are different themes or foods?)

Also, at least two rooms for our group will be porthole rooms. What are those like? How big are the portholes? They asked for an obstructed view room and were "upgraded" to portholes. I'd almost rather have the obstructed view because sometimes the obstruction isn't bad at all. I would've wanted a possible room number and do some research for photos of what the view would be like, and THEN make my decision to switch or not. Oh well....

There are 2 main dining rooms (mdrs), one is a little more casual than the other. These are no fee dining venues, included in the cost of your cruise. Theres also a no fee place called Blue Lagoon which i think is open 24hrs. Small menu, good appetizers and a few main courses, burgers etc. Theres of course a buffet on the same deck as the pool and outside theres a place for burgers and franks also no fee. Theres a bunch of restaurants you have to pay for-I think they range from 10-25 per person.

If you want to have a meal all 17 of you at the same time I would talk to the maitre d at either of the MDRs in advance and set up a day and time just to be sure you dont have to wait a long time to be seated.

Have a great cruise!

There are 2 main dining rooms (mdrs), one is a little more casual than the other. These are no fee dining venues, included in the cost of your cruise. Theres also a no fee place called Blue Lagoon which i think is open 24hrs. Small menu, good appetizers and a few main courses, burgers etc. Theres of course a buffet on the same deck as the pool and outside theres a place for burgers and franks also no fee. Theres a bunch of restaurants you have to pay for-I think they range from 10-25 per person.

If you want to have a meal all 17 of you at the same time I would talk to the maitre d at either of the MDRs in advance and set up a day and time just to be sure you dont have to wait a long time to be seated.

Have a great cruise!

okie dokie. Thanks!!

Have a great cruise!

I agree with checking with the maitre d' - be prepared to deal with either very early or very late dining to get all together . . . Unless someone in your group has concierge.

Any thoughts on dining? 17 people together in the dining room? ..

Getting seating for large groups can be a challenge! But then, how often do you think you'll all be together for meals?

Our large family cruise was to celebrate my aunts 80th birthday and the only time we all got together for dinner was for that celebration. Otherwise, we tended to be in smaller groups due to different preferences in when and where to dine.

Definitely talk to the maitre 'D on day one. Also, be sure to attend the meet and greet. NCL usually has officers there including the hotel director and restaurant manager. They may be able to help you out with arrangements also. We were allowed to use the Italian restaurant once during the off hours for our group to get together. It was all last minute so we hadn't ordered any snacks, etc., but then really didn't need any. It was just nice to gather and visit without disturbing other folks or trying to crowd into a cabin :eek:

Three adults in a mini-suite is doable, but you probably will not be comfortable. The person sleeping on the couch will hate it. Once the couch is out and made up, the room becomes difficult to navigate. It's doable, but not comfortable.

I totally disagree. The couch is by the balcony, and it doesn't fold out far enough to get in the way of someone trying to go out.

I will post pictures of this for the OP shortly

To the OP -

I think you got most of your questions answered, but let me add a few items. We were in a mini-suite exactly the same as yours, but a few doors back. Your beds will be on the right side like ours were. You might find it interesting to ready my Jewel Alaska review, which is linked in my signature area. Lots of information on the trip. In addition to that review, here are a bunch of pictures, including a section of "misc ship pictures" that has pictures of our room. Yours will be just like it.

http://public.fotki.com/ritchiefamily/san_diego_family/2012-pictures/alaska-cruise-2012/

To hit your other questions. The main beds are very comfortable. The couch folds out and is a bit firm, but you will be a lot better off if you ask for a mattress topper / egg crate foam for the bed ASAP. I found it to be quite comfortable, actually.

We had a group of 14 and ate together often. You will find that the large dining room further aft, Tzars, will accommodate you much more easily than the other dining room. If you go early you will not have trouble sitting together, even if you just walk up. By early I mean before 6. After that they will likely have to maneuver things around a bit, but that dining room will CERTAINLY be your best option for the group night.

Here are a few pictures of the room:

DSCN4705-vi.jpg

DSCN4707-vi.jpg

DSCN4709-vi.jpg

DSCN4957-vi.jpg

IMG_3584-vi.jpg

I totally disagree. The couch is by the balcony, and it doesn't fold out far enough to get in the way of someone trying to go out.

I will post pictures of this for the OP shortly

It absolutely gets in the way of walking to the balcony. Look at your own pictures for proof. Yes, you can get by, but it's a tight squeeze. Again, it's doable, but not comfortable IMO.

Here are a couple more

DSCN4703-vi.jpg

Here is a picture of the couch made into a bed. It's in my parent's room where the couch was on the opposite wall, but you can get a feel for it. There's also a curtain between the couch and the bed so you can have a little privacy

The nice thing about the couch is that it's not a fold out couch like you would think..with thin mattress and metal bars under you. It actually folds down, so you're sleeping on what amounts to the back rest and the seat. No bars and sags. Very nice, actually. Again, make sure to get a mattress topper

IMG_3925-vi.jpg

By the way, this is the view after you leave Skagway. You will want to set aside time to sit on your balcony and look at Sullivan Island as you go past

IMG_3391-vi.jpg

IMG_3406-vi.jpg

IMG_3463-vi.jpg

It absolutely gets in the way of walking to the balcony. Look at your own pictures for proof. Yes, you can get by, but it's a tight squeeze. Again, it's doable, but not comfortable IMO.

Guess we are entitled to our opinions on doable and comfortable, I guess. I think there's plenty of room between the couch and the desk, even with the bed down. I don't think it's any narrower than the space between the foot of the main beds and the wall. With there being a picture above, I guess the OP will draw their own conclusion. One key is getting rid of the little table. Some have it put on their balcony at night. My father had it just removed from the room.

Guess we are entitled to our opinions on doable and comfortable, I guess. I think there's plenty of room between the couch and the desk, even with the bed down. I don't think it's any narrower than the space between the foot of the main beds and the wall. With there being a picture above, I guess the OP will draw their own conclusion. One key is getting rid of the little table. Some have it put on their balcony at night. My father had it just removed from the room.

We've always done mini suites on Princess, but never opened the bed. Not sure if it was the type with metal bars under it. This one (Jewel) looks to be the better option! Our motorhome's couch works the same way and isn't too bad comfort-wise. As far as space, it looks likes there's enough room to get by it. I'm satisfied. We've done this identical itinerary before on Princess, by the way, but thanks for the tip on viewing the island after Skagway!

Ok, now to the onboard activities. How do they do on those? 11 of our 17 people are female, two of which are 12 and 16. The rest are 38-75. Are there craft things we can all go to? Or something fun for various ages? What can the men go to? They're 40-78.

I don't care about the theater shows, but we'll probably go to a comedian. Anything else along those lines? I see that they do Deal or no Deal? How does that work? How's Bingo?

Thanks everyone!

Ok, now to the onboard activities. How do they do on those? 11 of our 17 people are female, two of which are 12 and 16. The rest are 38-75. Are there craft things we can all go to? Or something fun for various ages? What can the men go to? They're 40-78.

I don't care about the theater shows, but we'll probably go to a comedian. Anything else along those lines? I see that they do Deal or no Deal? How does that work? How's Bingo?

Thanks everyone!

This post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36318958&highlight=jewel+dailies#post36318958 contains links to recent "Freestyle Dailies" for the Jewel, along with a lot of other wonderful photos. Check out the dailies for an idea of what will be offered during your sailing. ;)

Archived