Excursion Ideas-Royal Caribbeans

cathysmom

Hi... We'll be cruising in early October 2013...Ports of call are Portland, ME, Bar Harbor, ME , Saint John, NB and Halifax, NS. I've seen some reviews but thought I'd ask myself.

So, if anyone has opinions or ideas please share!!

Portland:

Saw a couple of "Lighthouse" tours....One that grabbed my attention "Lighthouses of Maine"...another for Portland was the Maine Lobster Bake & Fort Scrammel. Is one worst then the other??

Bar Harbor:

Acadia National Park, The Best of Bar Harbor, Acadia & Lobster Bake and a Historical Lighthouse cruise. Pros/cons??

Saint John:

We would definitely like to see the Reversing Tides...would either the Pink Hop On/Hop Off Bus or Trolley Tour be good? Any other suggestions?

Halifax:

Peggys Cove Fishing Village sounds nice...there's also one with the Lobster Lunch? then there's a Lobster & Lighthouses by Boat...

As you can see Lobster is on the list...I'm not a big seafood lover but I would like to stop at least once and get it while on the trip...So if there are any local places that would be fun (we're more casual then formal) please let me know...

Thanks!!

And of the four ports which would be better for any "Whale Watching"

We are booked on the Brilliance in October 2013 as well and I have been spending a lot of time looking at things to do as well. As far as whale watching, Im noticing that there are 2 primary places for Whale Watching, Bar Harbor and Halifax. Unfortunately, Acadia Park seems to be a can't miss and unless I only wanted to do the 1 hour tour, it would be impossible to put Acadia Park and Whale Watching in the same day. So, Halifax seems to be where we will go Whale Watching.

I also would love to see the reversing tides.

Some things that I would like to eat:

-lobster

-lobster rolls

-clam chowder

-whole belly clams

-boston cream pie

-boston baked beans

Another thing I have noticed is that October seems to be the end of the season and a few cool excursions seem to only go through September. I saw one (cant remember port) for a tall ship and whale watch. Unfortunately, it only goes through Sept.

What else can people recommend in this area?

• 1 month later...

We did this cruise last year and loved it! In Halifax we arranged for a private tour with Halifax Cruise Ship Taxi Tours-Eric was our guide and was excellent. We spent 4 hours seeing just what we wanted to see. We went to Peggy's Cove, The Swissair Memorial, Titanic Cemetery, as well as various sights in and around Halifax. Eric was very accommodating and we felt as if we were with a good friend as we saw the sights. You can arrange your time as you please and I believe you can do for a lobster lunch if you like. I arranged everything by email thru' their website and we did not pay until the tour ended.

One more suggestion this time for St John, NB. The city offers a bus tour only on cruise ship days that included a narrated tour of the city, a stop at the City Market and the Reversing Falls. Last year the cost was $20. The driver was very good and we felt we got our money's worth. Here is the link to their site. You cannot reserve ahead and it is first come first served. Also, if you search this board, you will find posts from last year about this tour.

http://www.saintjohn.ca/en/home/cityhall/transportation/transit/services/citytours.aspx

By the way, Portland Me city transit also offers a hop on hop off bus on cruise ship days. Not much narration but a great way to get around the port area and see the sights. It picked up just outside the port and the cost was $5. We used it to get to various sights including the Longfellow House. Here is the link.

http://gpmetrobus.net/index.php/services-programs/cruise-ship-service

I live in Portland.

For cathysmom: I sense a lighthouse theme in your excursions! The "lighthouses of maine" includes bug light and spring point light, which are not much to look at up close. Portland Head light is the best looking lighthouse in the US (IMHO), so seeing it is essential. Looking at the tours available, I would choose the "Portland highlights and schooner". This gives you the historic Portland east end, Portland Head light, and a chance to view Casco Bay from a sailing schooner.

For cathysmom & ikirumata: you can eat at least the first four items on your list at the Portland Lobster Company. It is a paper plate, outside dining restaurant on the waterfront. At Two Fat Cats bakery, you can get mini Boston Creme pies, as well as the best Whoopee Pies around. Portland is the only place in America that still bakes beans, and if you're lucky and the wind is right, the B&M bean company opens their ovens twice a day, and the smell of baked beans pervades the downtown area.

Combining the schooner adventure and Portland Lobster would be my best way to show off the city. Walking the Old Port is strenuous (hills, cobblestones), but worth it if you're looking for some of the best restaurants on the East Coast. None are fancy, but they are fairly pricey.

We did the New England fall cruise a few years back (go figure, right, but long story about wife and flying) on NCL from NYC. Be forewarned that the weather in Bar Harbor is unpredictable in fall, and we could see absolutely nothing from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia NP due to fog (visibility was about 5 feet at the top).

Peggy's Cove in Halifax is very nice, haven't done any "tours" there, just seen it on our own.

Frankly, I would stay away from a tour's lobster bake. Nearly any town along the NE seacoast or Canadian Maritimes will have "lobster shacks" that will do it better.

Most whale watching in the Portland area goes down to Jeffries Ledge off the coast by Portsmouth NH, so it is a long trip out and back. Skippers are pretty good about finding the beasts, but there is no guarantee. They usually talk to the fishermen out there to see where the whales have been spotted, and will divert to what appear to be the best spots. Bar Harbor or Halifax may be better bets at that time of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Portland:

We took an inexpensive local trolley tour that did a nice relaxed overview of the town and went to one lighthouse. Search mainelytours and you should find it. Another time we took a walking culinary tour which was wonderful and really was way more than food tasting. Again a search of foodie tours in Portland should show this. Both were not through the cruiselines.

Bar Harbor:

Didn't do either of the tours you ask about so can't comment. Lobster is abundant and wonderful all over this little town. We had a great lunch right by the area you get the tender back.

Saint John:

Sorry not much to wow you in this town, if I paid for a tour it would not be something right around town such as the two options you are considering. There is a historic farmers market building you can walk to and look around for free which was very enjoyable. If I ever go back I would spring for the tour that has the caves you can walk into when the tide is right.

Halifax:

LOVED LOVED LOVED our day on the Peggy's Cove Fishing Village tour we took through Royal Caribbean. I took a previous cruisers advice and completely bypassed the packed gift shop and spent my time admiring the sites. The gift shop is a nightmare and not worth your precious time. Shop at the pier and admire the cove for the limited time you have there.

Archived