to buy beverage package or not???

bluewater63

It's definitely a personal choice. We have booked the premium package for our upcoming Reflection trip. On vacation I like to order cappuccinos, have a special drink or two, and a specialty coffee. For me, that is what makes its vacation. I also like to be able to try a new drink, and if I don't like it, I won't feel badly about not finishing it.

Here is how I suspect a day will go (and this is probably a minimum) - this adds up to 70.50 - so I feel it's a good deal.

Large Water after gym.................... 4.00

Cappaccino with Breakfast................. 4.50

Occasionally a Mimosa too............... 6.00

Large Water for morning by pool....... 4.00

Soda with lunch.............................. 2.00

Large Water for afternoon by pool...... 4.00

Cappaccino late afternoon................. 4.50

Molecular Bar Cocktail pre dinner..... 12.00

Martini pre dinner......................... 10.00

San Pelligrino with Dinner.............. 2.50

1 Wine with Dinner........................ 10.00

Irish Coffee................................. 7.00

I agree with themutis' assessment. The naysayers usually think it's an alcoholic's dream purchase but as you see it should include any beverage that is chargeable. It always works for me and eliminates that signing deal for each purchase.

I wouldn't cruise without at least the Classic NA package for soda and specialty coffees (and bottled water is nice before disembarking for the day). So I ask myself if I'll spend the extra $33/day in drinks that it costs to get value out of the Classic package. That's 4 alcoholic drinks in my head which isn't tough to 'reach' - easier on the sea days than in port. But the other perk to a drink package is not signing the slips with every drink order.

If you make a new booking this month, you don't have to decide, the 1,2,3,GO promotion is a free drinks package for the stateroom (at least for two people, I dunno about 3rd or 4th passengers).

If you are really not sure what to do, I suggest searching the boards for a current price list. Then, take a few minutes to estimate what you might purchase in a typical day. If cost is the main driver, then pick the cheaper option. If convenience is more of a driver, then go with the package. My DH brings on his own Diet Coke, I only drink specialty coffees once or twice, we find the water on the ship perfectly drinkable (fill our own containers at the buffet - using a fresh glass as requested:)), and we usually just have a couple beers and then some wine with dinner. For us it would not make sense (we also are lucky to be Elite, so we have that cocktail hour as well which makes it a no-brainer for us, but we still would not make enough use of it). For others, it may very well be the most economical choice.

I would add one more thought - if the package didn't bring in revenue for the cruise ship they wouldn't offer it. It's as simple as that. So to me that says for many people, the beverage package is costing more than they would have spent on these items (and/or would not have purchased some of them). Whether you are one of these people, or whether the convenience is worth it to you regardless, is strictly a personal decision. I just find it interesting that most everyone who says they purchase a package believes they are saving money when if they all really were, the cruise ship would no longer offer the packages because when passengers save money, the cruise ship loses money. If a service or product is not making them money, it won't be around for long(ps - This is not an editorial comment - just because I don't buy the package doesn't mean I care one way or the other if others do. :D:D)

I would add one more thought - if the package didn't bring in revenue for the cruise ship they wouldn't offer it. It's as simple as that. So to me that says for many people, the beverage package is costing more than they would have spent on these items (and/or would not have purchased some of them). Whether you are one of these people, or whether the convenience is worth it to you regardless, is strictly a personal decision. I just find it interesting that most everyone who says they purchase a package believes they are saving money when if they all really were, the cruise ship would no longer offer the packages because when passengers save money, the cruise ship loses money. If a service or product is not making them money, it won't be around for long(ps - This is not an editorial comment - just because I don't buy the package doesn't mean I care one way or the other if others do. :D:D)

This was probably true for DH. I don't think he 'drank' the money's worth of the package. However, I am getting it for both of us again because of its convenience...and I am a worry wart and I don't want to be on vacation. I would think of how much every drink is costing and dreading the bill at the end....whereas now I just pay everything up front and it's done. It sounds kind of dumb to possibly pay more in the end but for me it is total relaxation and I love it. Celebrity can continue to make money off DH as long as I am happy :). I, on the other hand definitely get my money's worth. Like the OP said - it isn't all alcohol, lol. I can't believe people think that :). Don't get me wrong, it's a part of it but certainly not all of it.

I can certainly understand that people may want the package for the convenience (and that for many people it is in fact a savings). It's nice to be able to order whatever you want and not have to give a second thought to an unexpectedly large bar bill on your account at the end of the cruise:)

Upgraded to the premium package with the 123 promotion. Normally we would never spend that much on drinks. I think it will be a nice treat to not worry about the price of things and likely I will try some new cocktails that if I was 'paying' for I wouldn't take the risk.

Also, DH will do a beer sampling cruise and wants to try every one that could be included in his package. He would stick to his regular brands if he was paying individually for each one.

So basically we see this as an opportunity to have a sampling adventure. ;)

A drink package is like an all you can eat buffet, some people make out on the deal and some don't. The drink package doesn't work for me because I'm a beer drinker and according to my calculations, I'd have to have eight beers a day to break even. It probably could be done on sea days, but when we are in port we take tours most of the time. Sometimes, on the longer ones, we leave the ship at about 8am and get back after four. We'd lose out on these days. Being an "Elite" traveler makes it even more disadvantages. From 8-10 am we can go to the Elite breakfast and have a couple of Bloody Marys or capaccinos or other specialty drinks. From 6-8pm we can go to the Elite cocktail party and drink just about anything we want. That doesn't leave much time for the drink package. Another thing, you can't use your Open Passage with this promotion, which means a $300 obc for us. One last thing, I considered going to Hawaii this winter and the pricing is $300 p.p. on Celebrity's website when you don't book the promotion.

If it works for you do it, I just wanted to point out some things that you might have overlooked or not thought about.

Premium or classic non alcoholic works for us...we love al bacio and get our moneys worth...2 skinny lattes daily...iced coffee or frappe in the afternoon...iced tea when returning from shore...bottled water...and fresh squeezed juice. It adds up.

I wonder if the disconnect is that people will consume more drinks if they have a package than if they don't. Celebrity wins because there is more revenue, but the passanger feels that they won because when they add up what they consumed they paid less with the package than they would have out of pocket. I had the non-alcoholic premium package on a trip and I know I went to the coffee bar everyday because a) I could and b) i felt like I wanted to get my money's worth. On a normal trip maybe I would go every other day. I am personally going back and forth now on this 1,3,3 deal because on paper the drinks package is worth a lot of money, but versus my normal consumption I am not so sure.

Premium or classic non alcoholic works for us...we love al bacio and get our moneys worth...2 skinny lattes daily...iced coffee or frappe in the afternoon...iced tea when returning from shore...bottled water...and fresh squeezed juice. It adds up.

This is our first time with a beverage pkg & just like you it's the coffee, teas at al bacio & bottled water, fresh squeezed OJ that I am looking forward to you. Since this our first time, do all venues ( bars, al bacio ) sell bottled water?

Thank you

This is our first time with a beverage pkg & just like you it's the coffee, teas at al bacio & bottled water, fresh squeezed OJ that I am looking forward to you. Since this our first time, do all venues ( bars, al bacio ) sell bottled water?

Thank you

Cafe Al Bacio definitely does. By mid-week, they didn't have any qualms giving me a water and a coffee at the same time either (both for my consumption, mind you, but it's supposed to be one at a time).

As mentioned the Beverage packages work for some and not for others which is why they have several types of packages. Note- 'X' does make money overall even if people feel they get value for their money. E.g. I calculate what I would drink in a day like themutis did (in fact with a package I drink heaps more) and it works out I save heaps with the package. However, my behaviour would change if I didn't have the package, I would most likely just drink the ships water, tea and coffee rather than the bottled water and cuppacinos, etc. I probably wouldn't drink as many alcoholic drinks or even just try something new. That said, I would probably still spend around $40 a day at least on drinks. So with the package I feel as if I win and 'X' gets more money from me as well. With the current 321 go promotion, maybe 'X' doesn't win.:D

Upgraded to the premium package with the 123 promotion. Normally we would never spend that much on drinks. I think it will be a nice treat to not worry about the price of things and likely I will try some new cocktails that if I was 'paying' for I wouldn't take the risk.

I have asked to upgrade to the premium package with the 123 promotion, too. However, my wife asked if we stuck to the classic package, would bars allow us to pay the difference between $8 and the drinks we buy on an item by item basis. For example, if we ordered a drink in the Molecular Bar, could we use our package and just sign for the $4 difference.

I told my wife I didn't think Celebrity would allow that, but I thought I should check on Cruise Critic, where some people probably already know the answer.

Rich

Just booked a cruise for this December with the promotion and will be upgrading to the premium package. Two years ago took a trip with my family on the Eclipse because of the package. We had 6 people in our group, all with the premium package. I'm sure all of us including my grandma (she loved the coffee, water, and drinks Crown after dinner) saved money over the course of the cruise. Plus having all of us on the same package made wine with dinner great. There was a great pinot for $11.50/glass that we would just receive bottles of for the table. After a few nights in the MDR, we were upgraded us to an even nicer bottle that wasn't including on the wines by the glass. I'm know that's not normal but we tip well and having the package for everyone at our table I'm sure made that easier to do.

My favorite part was every morning my father and I would go and get fresh squeezed OJ and then add a shot of ketel one to it. Both are included in the beverage package. That and my once we got to know the servers, especially at the pool bar, they would just bring us our drinks when they saw us unless we waived them off. Just made the whole experience so much easier, better, and cheaper for my family.

I agree with most that is already stated so can just add our experience...we loved the premium package...fun to try drinks we wouldn't usually try...try something else if you didn't like what you got...we loved the coffee at Al Bacio twice a day...with the upgrade to the free classic package offer it is only $11.50 per day...to have what you want, as much as you want, when and where you want. A no-brainer for us, and one we are using on our next two cruises.

It was just fun to not have to worry about cost and just relax. Did we drink more than usual? For my husband, yes, a little. For me, no. BUT I surely did get my money's worth at the cafe and in the martini bar. Being tight-fisted, we kept track of what we would have spent each day and the package more than paid for itself every day. I say relax and enjoy! :p

I have asked to upgrade to the premium package with the 123 promotion, too. However, my wife asked if we stuck to the classic package, would bars allow us to pay the difference between $8 and the drinks we buy on an item by item basis. For example, if we ordered a drink in the Molecular Bar, could we use our package and just sign for the $4 difference.

I told my wife I didn't think Celebrity would allow that, but I thought I should check on Cruise Critic, where some people probably already know the answer.

Rich

Rich, I am 99.99% sure that with the classic package if you want to purchase a drink that is above the max, you must pay the whole price, not the difference....so if you want a $12 glass of wine, you have to pay $12.

But if you get the upgrade to the premium package, then you would only pay the difference in any drink. The $12 wine you want would be "free"....and if you wanted a glass for $16, you would then only pay the $4 difference. I hope that explains it...

Can you add the drink package onboard? Can you add it on mid-cruise? I was thinking of maybe adding this the last two days (Labadee and sea day), as we'll be in port doing active things the other days.

You can absolutely purchase it on board, and can wait into the cruise...however, I'm pretty sure they have a cut-off somewhere near the end of the cruise, beyond which you cannot purchase.

I did the premium package last year and hope to never have to cruise again without it. It was a huge money saver and made the cruise feel "all inclusive". I think the only time it doesn't make sense is during a port heavy Mediterranean cruise where you are going to be ashore for most of the day.

Rich

The answer to your question is "no". You cannot use the Classic package to buy drinks over the limit and pay the difference. However, if you do have/upgrade to the premium package, and you order a $16 glass of wine, you pay only the difference between the $12 max and the price, plus the 15% on the difference.

Can you add the drink package onboard? Can you add it on mid-cruise? I was thinking of maybe adding this the last two days (Labadee and sea day), as we'll be in port doing active things the other days.

Yes...and no

Celeb will post what day is the last day to purchase ...usually 2-3 days in

Rich, I am 99.99% sure that with the classic package if you want to purchase a drink that is above the max, you must pay the whole price, not the difference....so if you want a $12 glass of wine, you have to pay $12.

But if you get the upgrade to the premium package, then you would only pay the difference in any drink. The $12 wine you want would be "free"....and if you wanted a glass for $16, you would then only pay the $4 difference. I hope that explains it...

You are correct with this.:D

Archived