Best Luau on Maui

Cairnmom

Looking for suggestions for the best luau on Maui.

I've been to a few luaus on Maui & I agree with the experts who say the Old Lahaina Luau is the best luau. It's a smaller, more intimate luau than the large picnic tables at the larger hotel luaus. They're very popular & will generally sell out so make reservations in advance if you want to go to the OLL. The entertainment is Hawaiian only so if you want things from other Polynesian cultures like the fire dance then mayber one of the larger hotel luaus would be best for you. :)

There are many options for a luau on Maui. Below are my rankings, from a local:

#1 Old Lahaina Luau & Feast at Lele (Tied) - Lahaina

#2 Wailele Polynesian Luau - Lahaina

#3 Moana Luau - Wailea

#4 Luau at Black Rock - Lahaina & Luau at Honuaula - Wailea (Tied)

#5 Drums of the Pacific - Lahaina

#6 Royal Lahaina Luau - Lahaina

You should also look into two other shows - Ulalena and Kupanaha, both in Lahaina.

There are many options for a luau on Maui. Below are my rankings, from a local:

#1 Old Lahaina Luau & Feast at Lele (Tied) - Lahaina

#2 Wailele Polynesian Luau - Lahaina

#3 Moana Luau - Wailea

#4 Luau at Black Rock - Lahaina & Luau at Honuaula - Wailea (Tied)

#5 Drums of the Pacific - Lahaina

#6 Royal Lahaina Luau - Lahaina

You should also look into two other shows - Ulalena and Kupanaha, both in Lahaina.

As a former local & still part time one I also agree with your list. The Feast at Lele was an amazing more intimate experience like a dinner show on the beach. Having wonderful food served at our table reflecting 4 Polynesian cultures food & performances was wonderful.

Having been to the OLL a few times it was great but it's hard to beat the Feast at Lele (the original name for Lahaina). We went for a big anniversary & qualifying for a kama'aina rate it was more affordable. With drinks and food being served at our table we thought it was appropriate to leave a tip for the wonderful service we received. :D

We have been to the Old lahaina luau during our 08 Hawaii cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it, food was fabulous. We will be returning to Lahaina during our Transpacific and again during our 12 day Hawaii cruise back to Vancouver. I would like to try out two of the other Luaus, and wonder what your opinion is of the Drums of the Pacific and the Kaanapali. I didn't see the Wailele Polynesian listed on our Ports of Call. Where is this one held

Another vote for OLL been there twice and loved it both times. They don't water there drinks down and its a very organized buffet were they take a table up at a time and moves pretty fast.

If your interested book early to get best seats as they sell out and only holds 500 people.

Thanks for all your input. We have narrowed it down to Old Lahaina Luau & Feast at Lele. Can't wait !!

I don't think you can go wrong either way & here's some comparisons:

Drinks: Lele has much more variety & is served at your table & I enjoyed a different beer from each area for all 4 courses; OLL stand in line with much less variety

Meal: Lele 4 courses from Hawaii, New Zealand, Tahiti & Samoa; OLL the best traditional luau food served buffet style by table

Show: Lele has entertainment from each Polynesian culture corresponding to the food served; OLL has Hawaiian performance only

Seating: Lele assigns tables based on when booking & number of people (we had a table for 2 directly in front of entertainment); OLL has either tables further from the stage or low tables where you sit on mats closer to stage

Location: Both are oceanfront but the OLL has adjacent free parking while Lele has parking under 505 Front Street & cost a few dollars ($5?) to park

Lei: Lele kukui nut shells; OLL purple flowers

Feast at Lele is about $20 more & we tipped for our table service but since most of the OLL is self-service we didn't tip. The executive chef at the Feast at Lele also has the adjacent highly rated restaurants with entrees in the $35+ price range.

And as I previously said you can't go wrong with either one. :D :D

How far is Old Lahaina or Feast at Lele from the cruise port? Our ship leaves Maui at 11pm. Will there be enough time to get back to the ship? Is there any type of shuttle or should we rent a car?

Both are about a 45 minute drive from the Kahului pier but may take longer going there due to traffic but rarely to return to the pier.

There's no type of shuttle that I know about & I wouldn't recommend using a public bus. A rental car would be your best option & as I recall Enterprise is close to the pier but other agencies are about a 5 minute free rental car shuttle away at Kahului airport & to reboard your ship.

I sail primarily with Princess & for an 11:00 sailing 'all aboard' time would be 10:30 so check with your cruise line. Depending on the time of year both may end around 8:30 which allows enough time to drop off a rental car.

While traffic isn't terrible on Maui if there's an accident on the 2-lane road from Lahaina to Kahului there could be delays or a complete closure of the road for hours with no good alternative route. I'm not trying to scare anyone but it's possible but certainly not a frequent problem.

What about taxi from pier to OLL?

I found a taxi company's website that shows sample rates & it would be about $75 each way. They show rates from Kahului airport (about the same distance as from the pier) to Lahaina ($70) & to Ka'anapali ($80) & the OLL is about midway between them.

http://westmauitaxi.com/services_and_rates

I found a taxi company's website that shows sample rates & it would be about $75 each way. They show rates from Kahului airport (about the same distance as from the pier) to Lahaina ($70) & to Ka'anapali ($80) & the OLL is about midway between them.

http://westmauitaxi.com/services_and_rates

We will be on the Rhapsody of the seas, we may dock at a different port. Not sure.

Archived