Booked our first Carnival cruise... getting the feeling we've made a mistake!

bellamour

My mom (in her 50s) and myself (20s) have been on 4 Royal Caribbean cruises and have loved them all. We've sailed on the Enchantment, Explorer, Jewel, and Oasis. What's important to us: service, mild-mannered guests, quiet cabin at night, and entertainment. We've yet to be disappointed on RCCL in any of these areas.

We wanted to try something different, so we've booked The Dream for April 13th. I'm getting the sinking feeling we've made a mistake...

Things I've read that are making me nervous include:

- Noisy Cabins (I am a VERY light sleeper. We've booked on Deck 7 which is supposed to be the "quietest". Rude guests who slam doors and talk loudly have never been a problem on RCCL).

- No calypso music around the pool? I thought this was "standard" for all cruises in the Caribbean. I love nothing more than sitting around the pool listening to the band.

- Quality Entertainment. Not being people to spend our nights at the disco, we enjoy a good show. Recent reports have really pointed out the lackluster entertainment on Carnival lately.

- Chair hogs. We have NEVER had an issue with chair hogs on RCCL. Even on the Oasis, with 6000 passengers, did we have an issue with this.

As someone who has greatly enjoyed RCCL, should I be bracing myself for disappointment on this ship??

My mom (in her 50s) and myself (20s) have been on 4 Royal Caribbean cruises and have loved them all. We've sailed on the Enchantment, Explorer, Jewel, and Oasis. What's important to us: service, mild-mannered guests, quiet cabin at night, and entertainment. We've yet to be disappointed on RCCL in any of these areas.

We wanted to try something different, so we've booked The Dream for April 13th. I'm getting the sinking feeling we've made a mistake...

- Noisy Cabins (I am a VERY light sleeper. We've booked on Deck 7 which is supposed to be the "quietest". Rude guests who slam doors and talk loudly have never been a problem on RCCL).

- No calypso music around the pool? I thought this was "standard" for all cruises in the Caribbean. I love nothing more than sitting around the pool listening to the band.

- Quality Entertainment. Not being people to spend our nights at the disco, we enjoy a good show. Recent reports have really pointed out the lackluster entertainment on Carnival lately.

- Chair hogs. We have NEVER had an issue with chair hogs on RCCL. Even on the Oasis, with 6000 passengers, did we have an issue with this.

As someone who has greatly enjoyed RCCL, should I be bracing myself for disappointment on this ship??

Don't doubt your decision until you have seen it for yourself. Many of the things you read may not happen to you, and may not have happened to the one who posted it. Some tend to embellish the facts !!:D

I was on the Dream in July and loved every minute of it. I've cruised on Princess and on Holland America. The Dream was the best! Yes, there will be things that are different, but there will be new things to enjoy. You will have a great trip!

Go in with an open mind and try not to compare until after you have completed your cruise. There will be some things you will like better about Royal Caribbean and some things you will like about Carnival.

Just enjoy this cruise and then come to your own conclusions as to the cruise line that suits your need and expectations the best.

Have fun!

Keep in mind that here, and across the internet in general, you are far more likely to see people posting negatives rather than positives. It's just human nature and you need to take everything with a grain of salt. It is also human nature that when we go into a situation looking for the bad, we usually find it.

Different strokes for different folks they say. What other people have posted may not be true for others or for yourself. I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise!

The wife and I where on the Dream and stayed on Deck 7 also, It was nice and quiet staff was great. The Breakfast and lunch where long during peak time one sea days. We loved the ship and the location of our cabin on deck 7

I have not cruised on the Dream-but I have never had a bad Carnival Cruise. The ships are smaller (thank goodness), the food is reportedly better, and unless you are Broadway bound, I don't think you will have a problem with the shows. I'm guilty of working for a major arts center in the south, I get a heavy dose of classical music and professional theatre-and I had no problem with the shows that I have seen. I don't make it a point to make it the high light of the cruise however. I make the highlight of my cruise a time to be with my DH, to visit new places, and to unwind from being in cust out service- I mean customer service (LOL), and I find the service to be fabulous. Sail Happy. Yes there will be a difference-enjoy the difference.

No! Have an open mind and enjoy the ride!

- Noisy Cabins? Granted, I was on a higher deck, but had no problem at all with noise. We slept well!

- Quality Entertainment? It was THE biggest surprise of all for us. The Carnival dancers and their shows were OUTSTANDING. Only regret we had was the comic, who seeming could only tell racial jokes. It got real tiresome and we got up and left.

- Chair hogs? Maybe we were just lucky, but there was always chairs vacant and ready to be used.

You will enjoy your cruise, as long as you let yourself!

Having cruised both line numerous times, I think you will be disappointed. The sinking feeling will start when you first walk on board. Royal has the most beautiful ships at sea. Carnival, not so much. Your disappointment will continue when you go to dinner. Royal has recently upscaled and upgraded their menu, adding things such as Veal Oscar. Carnival has added meatloaf and fried chicken and mac and cheese and alligator (choot, 'em, choot em.). When you go to the showroom you will be treated to a show starring burned out over weigh Vegas show girls and off key lounge singers. In this world you get what you pay for. .

If you go in with a negative attitude, you'll probably have a not-so-good time. I kept reading horrible reviews about NCL after we booked our first trip with them last April ... at first I got nervous, wondering if we made a mistake, but then thought - you get what you expect.

We're about 3 months away from our first Carnival cruise and almost fell into the same trap, but it's a VACATION!

If you want to have a good time, don't go looking for bad things and constantly compare. KNOW that they'll be different and embrace it, try something new.

My husband and I have cruised both RCCL and Carnival and honestly.... there isn't a whit of difference in the service between them. Smiling faces and an honest wish to take care of you is what we've found.

Carnival's decor is a little more Vegas glitz, RCCL is more sedate. Carnival's rooms are slightly bigger and we've never had a problem with noise. You just have to be careful what you are above or below on any ship.

People complain about Carnival's shows because they have been the same shows for the past 4 years. If you haven't sailed Carnival, they will be new to you and loads of fun. :)

Food between the two? I liked RCCL's desserts more, and Carnival's starters more. The main course, we found things we liked and disliked on both lines.

I do miss the steel drums on the Lido deck and I hate that Carnival has done away with them. There is music though and I hear that the Movies Under the Stars at night are very nice.

Have a great cruise no matter which line you ultimately go with. ;)

Having cruised both Royal and Carnival I can tell you Royal is definitly a step above Carnival. We do enjoy Carnival too tho. Can't beat the value and the service and food are great. We have sailed the Dream and really enjoyed the ship. I would say the biggest difference in the 2 lines would be the entertainment. Royal's entertainment is alot better. Also a slightly lower class of people on Carnival.

Please take most everything you read on CC that is negative with a grain of salt. I had read the most horrible reviews and complaints about the Destiny to the point that I wanted to cancel. DH talked me into not cancelling. We went with open minds and it was the best cruise ever!! We loved the boat so much, we cruised it again 2 years later. Like everyone said, open mind is key. If you see something you don't like, turn your head. Don't let someone else's behavior or actions ruin YOUR vacation and have fun!

... Hope you don't expect MORE when you have probably payed LESS?!

Our first Carnival cruise was not that great for a number of reasons. We were given a partial refund on board and a 15% discount voucher for each passenger for a future cruise.

We needed to book the cruise within 2 years and waited until the very last day but decided we could get a good enough deal to try them again. We will sail in May on the Breeze.

I too am beginning to worry because of some of the reviews and comments but will give it a go. If I don't like it this time I will simply go back to Princess.

Keep in mind that here, and across the internet in general, you are far more likely to see people posting negatives rather than positives. It's just human nature and you need to take everything with a grain of salt. It is also human nature that when we go into a situation looking for the bad, we usually find it.

Different strokes for different folks they say. What other people have posted may not be true for others or for yourself. I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise!

Could Not have said it any better.

The Dream, April 13th, good luck with that.

We have been on 3 carnival cruises and another planned to europe this summer. All have been different with a different crowd but all have been FUN!! The shows are good but there is so much to do that we didnt plan on them every nite. The dive in movies were fun, the waterpark on magic was great, and my daughter loved the rope course.. im open to trying other cruise lines but for the money they all end up in the same places I think being together is the best part of the cruise and seeing all the new places together. Life is what you make it..after some tough medical issues im hoping to enjoy another carnival cruise.

I have sailed on both cruise lines.....both are different.....you will like some things on both & dislike things about both....

Go with an OPEN mind that YOU are going to have a GOOD time.....

I too am a light sleeper. I always take ear plugs & never have any problems. I do try to book a cabin with cabins above & below me & that seems to help......

Hmmmmm.....let's see.....

"Have an open mind and have fun!"

or

"Yes, you're going to hate everything!"

I wonder which is the healthier attitude. ;)

Point is, which is the more accurate, I go with.........."yes, you're going to hate everything" I agree that the carnival ships are ugy, food is just passable and the statement about the over-weight vegas showgirls is true! The shows on carnival leave a lot to be desired, and can only be enjoyed if you're big on seeing scantily clothed has-beens.

Archived