Booked our first Carnival cruise... getting the feeling we've made a mistake!

bellamour

I'm not sure what you're looking for. You came on a CCL board and asked whether you were going to be disappointed in a CCL cruise. Uh, unless we're all idiots, it's pretty obvious that most people on this board actually like Carnival, so why would you ask us.

Sounds like you're ready to hate it so why not go on the RCCL board and ask them - I'm sure you'll get more of the negative attitutde toward CCL that you're looking for.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it cracks me up when RCCL passengers act like they've been cruising on luxury liners.

I agree with those who suggested you cancel this cruise.

No one can tell you whether you've made a mistake; that's for you to decide.

I found it best to try various lines for myself, and I've had wonderful experiences on all of them. I don't mind their minor differences; I like variety!

Have fun--on whichever you end up sailing!

I have never had a "bad" Carnival cruise. CCL is the cruiseline where we have the most "fun", and that is why we prefer CCL. To us, vacation is fun, entertainment and having a good time. The friendliest passengers (IMO) are on CCL. Your vacation is what you make of it, and we always know what to expect from different cruiselines. Even though we don't sail for food, we have never had a "disaster" meal in the MDR. If we order something that we don't like, we order something else. There has never been a problem. Please go with an open mind and decide for yourself. Everyone is different, and everyone likes and dislikes are not the same.

Hi!

Whatever you decide, I hope you and Mom have a great vacation. As others have said, it is up to you whether to cancel or not, but you already knew that.

As a suggestion, I am posting 2 links to reviews to give you a positive view. If you have time, I think they will be good reading.

1. Info on the Carnival Dream

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1762214

You could also post some specific questions here, for answers.

2. This is the Carnival Liberty, but he answered some questions on the "Myths" It is rather longish, but I enjoyed reading it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1651667&highlight=liberty+review

Happy Sailing!

It will be as amazing as you make it, the only noise I heard at night was my hubby snoring ( and mine shhhh )

Unfortunately this might be literally true...on our last Carnival trip (Sept./12) we found service in the dining venues to be very lackluster...unless you were willing to complain to the maitre'd every single night. Room stewards now are VERY busy and not likely to do much more than make the beds unless you specifically request other services and are prepared to complain to Housekeeping. Last but definitely not least, when it comes to entertainment, Carnival acutally has a headline show where the PASSENGERS perform (called Legends). If you'd like to be in it I hope you have more talent than the ones who were with us on the Victory.

Honestly, one of the comments that bother me most on CC is the "a cruise is what you make it...".

We have sailed with RCCL, NCL, Disney and Carnival. We love them all for something different. I think that Carnival has the most relaxed atmosphere. There was always some kind of music being played around the pool, usually a live band, but sometimes a contest or something being played on the movie screen. We have never had issues with chair hogs, there are so many places on all of these ships to go that the decks never seem that crowded to me. We generally stay in a balcony room, mid-ship, somewhere between deck 6 and 9 and have never had an issue with noise! On our last sailing I actually mentioned to my husband that I thought the entertainment had improved. Almost every night we watched the main show and then went down to the lounge for some comedy and singing.

I think you will have a great time!

What's the worst that can happen? Not as good as your others, right. So what? You're still on a CRUISE. Enjoy it and if you don't like Carnival, get your mom to buy you a cruise on another line. She does buy your cruises, right?

I buy her cruises, thank you very much. lol

We cruised on the Dream in May 2011 and by far, my favorite cruise to date. We were one deck above you on 8, and other than embarkation day when we decided to try to take a nap, it was extremely quiet.

April 13 shouldn't be as rowdy as a March cruise, and in my experience, the longer 7 day cruises are much more "family oriented" than the short 4 days one. (Less people there to simply drink, and more family vacations taking place).

We didn't have any trouble with chair hogs, but it also wasn't important for us to be at the Lido pool. we actually spent quite a bit more time at either the aft pool or on the deck 5 lanai, where there are PLENTY on lounge chairs and hot tubs that are not crowded. We never once had an issue finding somewhere to lounge on the ship near a hot tub. :)

Be sure to go to Dancing in the Street, the comedy clubs, and eat at the Pasta Bar!

Pack a positive attitude and you will LOVE the Dream :)

We took our first cruise on Royal last year after 6 on Carnival, I was not all that impressed. I loved Alaska and the ports, just not their service or lack of food and activities at times.

I agree. We were not impressed with RCCL. The ship's are unbelievable, but the food and entertainment was below Carnival.

There is not much difference in the RCL and Carnival. They both appeal to the mass market. (One day we want to sail of one of the truly upscale lines but that not yet in our budget.)We have sailed on Carnvial the most and have always enjoyed it. The entertainment fine. Not a Broadway show but fun. The food for the most part is quite good. It is true they add some home cooking but there are many options. IF you like RCL stick with them but many of us enjoy Carnival.

The fun is where you make it. Hubs and I cruised RC the first two times and loved it. For our next cruise Carnival had the dates, departing port and itinerary that we wanted, so we went with Carnival. We had a blast! Hence, as you can see in my signature, we've only done Carnival after that. There really was not enough difference between RC and Carnival to make the increase in price worth it... at least for hubs and I. We are in our early 50s and found plenty of fun and also plenty of peace and quiet.

Go and enjoy yourself!

We did RC a few years ago, Then Disney and since then Carnival. RC was okay. It wasn't my favorite ship at all. Then Disney was nice but too noisy with all kids screaming all day and nite. Since then we have done Carnival. I would take Carnival anyday over RC. Never did Celebrity. I have heard mix reviews on Norweigian. Everyone I have talked to says the food is very bland or so so. One day we will try Princess and Celebrity. I am not a pro but we had done about 15 cruises so we aren't beginners. Our favorite so far has been Carnival Magic. We have the Breeze coming up. Before them, we loved the Freedome. WE did that twice. It is funny that the people who complain the most about Carnival have never sailed on them. What a joke!

Having cruised both Royal and Carnival I can tell you Royal is definitly a step above Carnival. We do enjoy Carnival too tho. Can't beat the value and the service and food are great. We have sailed the Dream and really enjoyed the ship. I would say the biggest difference in the 2 lines would be the entertainment. Royal's entertainment is alot better. Also a slightly lower class of people on Carnival.

Lower class of people.......Really.....choose your words wisely

Having cruised both Royal and Carnival I can tell you Royal is definitly a step above Carnival. We do enjoy Carnival too tho. Can't beat the value and the service and food are great. We have sailed the Dream and really enjoyed the ship. I would say the biggest difference in the 2 lines would be the entertainment. Royal's entertainment is alot better. Also a slightly lower class of people on Carnival.

Slightly lower class of people on Carnival....WOW!!

My mom (in her 50s) and myself (20s) have been on 4 Royal Caribbean cruises and have loved them all. We've sailed on the Enchantment, Explorer, Jewel, and Oasis. What's important to us: service, mild-mannered guests, quiet cabin at night, and entertainment. We've yet to be disappointed on RCCL in any of these areas.

We wanted to try something different, so we've booked The Dream for April 13th. I'm getting the sinking feeling we've made a mistake...

Things I've read that are making me nervous include:

- Noisy Cabins (I am a VERY light sleeper. We've booked on Deck 7 which is supposed to be the "quietest". Rude guests who slam doors and talk loudly have never been a problem on RCCL).

- No calypso music around the pool? I thought this was "standard" for all cruises in the Caribbean. I love nothing more than sitting around the pool listening to the band.

- Quality Entertainment. Not being people to spend our nights at the disco, we enjoy a good show. Recent reports have really pointed out the lackluster entertainment on Carnival lately.

- Chair hogs. We have NEVER had an issue with chair hogs on RCCL. Even on the Oasis, with 6000 passengers, did we have an issue with this.

As someone who has greatly enjoyed RCCL, should I be bracing myself for disappointment on this ship??

Mild-mannered guests? :eek: Oh, oh. You'll likely see a difference.

Just did a cruise on the brand new Breeze and the entertainment was awful!! You will likely be disappointed there. We also missed the live music.

Hope that you have a good cruise anyway!

Others have already posted what I was thinking - Going with a negative attitude. Check!

Troll post. Check!

Spring break. Check!

If you ARE genuine OP - I really don't think you should book this cruise. I don't think it's for you and Mom. jmo

I thought we aren't supposed to call posters "trolls."

Have only cruised on Carnival and Royal. We will be taking our 26th cruise in April. We enjoy both lines for their different activities, different food choices, different entertainment. We try not to compare but just simply enjoy whichever line we have chosen for our vacation........

PS Carnival's WARM CHOCOLATE MELTING CAKE IS TO DIE FOR!!!!!:)

Archived