Cheer programs

mchelle77

For those who have used it - was it worth it?

I love the idea of knowing my bar tab at the beginning of the trip, and I could definitely take advantage of that "$50 for pretty much open bar per day" on any other ordinary day ... but there are so many reasons why we're talking ourselves out of it - I want beer tubes and beer buckets :D Also, two days we won't even be on board much of the day (excursions, and drinks are included) And we'll both be bringing a bottle of wine, that's one night of drinks right there.

I think we ended up spending ALMOST that on our last trip, but that was with no "plus drinks" excursions, and we didn't bring any wine on board. We have three months to decided, but would love to hear others' thoughts on the topic.

We did the program and felt it was worth it. Even on the days in port we still managed to drink about 8 drinks each. We never hit 15, but close. We figured we would try this once. It was nice not having to worry about an expensive bar tab. Plus I tried different drinks and if I didn't like it, no big deal. My DH would tip a dollar here and there so our drinks sometimes seemed stronger.

We felt it was worth it for us and we did the liberty western Caribbean so 4 port days but none were very late days in port. Most of the time we were back on the ship by 5pm. We never hit the 15 drinks either that everybody is complaining about and it saved us a lot of money. I kept most all of our receipts except for the soda but we don't drink a lot of soda and our total was alittle over 900.00 and that doesn't include the 15% grautuity that would have been added to each receipt. We would drink 2-3 beers in the afternoon... Couple glasses of wine with dinner Pinot noir ($9.75 a glass) then we would go have drinks at the alchemy bar which are 8.75 a piece so it adds up. How we decided though was looking at our last couple of cruises and we had spent 7-800.00 in the past so we knew it would save us money. I know we drank more and tried some different stuff than we normally would have done but that is the beauty of it. We like the beer buckets as well but we had great service so somebody was always passing by when we were ready to have another one.

For those who have used it - was it worth it?

I love the idea of knowing my bar tab at the beginning of the trip, and I could definitely take advantage of that "$50 for pretty much open bar per day" on any other ordinary day ... but there are so many reasons why we're talking ourselves out of it - I want beer tubes and beer buckets :D Also, two days we won't even be on board much of the day (excursions, and drinks are included) And we'll both be bringing a bottle of wine, that's one night of drinks right there.

I think we ended up spending ALMOST that on our last trip, but that was with no "plus drinks" excursions, and we didn't bring any wine on board. We have three months to decided, but would love to hear others' thoughts on the topic.

First of all, we will be getting the program starting on Sunday for 6 days on the Breeze, so I will let you know how it goes from first hand experience. With regards to the beer buckets, you can get a beer every 5 minutes and if you want to take an unopened one back to your cabin, you still can and if you want to take a few, tip them a buck and ask for a bucket with ice. With regards to the tube, you can get as many drafts of the same beer as you would like and after seeing a picture of the tubes that they use, they are not the best ones available on the market. The better ones have an inner section that is made of ice, which keeps the beer cooler and does not dilute it, while the pictures that I have seen on CC do not seem to have this feature. You can also not bring your two bottles of wine and just get it by the glass and try different varieties.

By getting the program, you can try as many as thirty different drinks per day between the two of you. You can have mimosas, bellinis, Bloody Marys or Bloody Marias to start the day with breakfast. Frozen drinks pool side in the early afternoon, beers in the late afternoon, martinis during happy hour, wine with dinner, a Baileys or Cognac with your coffee and then you can start experimenting after dinner...:D.

Just say you have 10 on a sea day and 5 on a port day...you're still way ahead of the game at that point.

Someone reported that there was no line on the Cheers bar receipts to add extra tip when you get a drink - is this true?

No, there is a line for a tip if you want to add one. The receipt is just like a regular one if you were paying for the drink, except, for the cost, it shows $0.00, but has a line for tip. Hope this helps,

We used it on our Christmas cruise this year.... and we felt we broke even ...actually, we came out slightly ahead. We had to really evaluate what we like to drink... we do drink some soda pop, have a couple during the day, before dinner martinis, and then wine at dinner. We aren't beer drinkers or bucket drinkers.

When we looked at what was included, most of our favorites were on the fully included portion. We do like a few things that were in the 25% off category but they were not major factors for us.

We decided to go with the cheers program because we could enjoy our favorite beverages (inclusive) and we didn't have to buy the wine package to be able to have the wines we like. Also, because we could get it by the glass included, there wasn't any pressure to "finish" off a bottle just because we have several others we have to drink before we get off the ship.

Another minor perk.... when we got a soda pop, they gave us the whole can. (Wahoo!)

We kept our receipts... and we have spent at least as much in the past as we did on the Cheers program. Although it is sticker shock up front... I was pleased to see our overall bill stay reasonable... (well...you know.) We will use it again!

Someone reported that there was no line on the Cheers bar receipts to add extra tip when you get a drink - is this true?

On Freedom last week, there was NO TIP LINE, ever, on any receipt (even for coffee bar treats). However, you can write "Tip: $x.xx" and they will get it...this will show up on your bill at the end of the cruise. BTW they totally love you if you do this, and you will get your drinks FAST if you do it! LOL :) Not saying you get bad service if you don't tip, but they definitely appreciate if you do.

Cheers was so worth it for DH and me. We drank more, for sure, than on our last cruise, and it made our vacation nicer to just be free and not have to worry about the bill at the end.

Have a couple of mimosas in the morning, and do a shot or two in the evening, to make sure you get that $50 worth! :D

Archived