Drinks Package and Wine with meals

bernipops

Can someone please tell me if you have a drinks package how easy/difficult is it to get wine with your meals in the restaurant? We normally have a wine package but are considering the drinks package as an alternative.

Many thanks for your help.

Bernipops

For the premium package you can order any wine by the glass up to a limit of $12. If you order a more expensive wine (say $15.00 glass) you only pay the difference of $3.00.

If you get the classic package you can order any wine by the glass up to a limit of $8.00. If you order a more expensive wine (say $15.00 glass) you pay the ENTIRE amount of $15.00

On our last cruise we had the premium package and the sommelier quickly became our friend and kept out glasses full through dinner.

Can someone please tell me if you have a drinks package how easy/difficult is it to get wine with your meals in the restaurant? We normally have a wine package but are considering the drinks package as an alternative.

Bernipops

An advantage of having the drink package instead of a wine package is that you can pair each course with a different glass of wine.

We would tell the sommelier what we had ordered and she would choose a wine to go with each dish.

She usually chose well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Same here, had the premium package and the MDR sommelier we were assigned was wonderful. We had 6 people with the package at our own table and she would just bring out 2 bottles (of wine that was under $12 on the by the glass menu) based on her recommendations depending on our preferences for the evening once she got to know our group. And then on the last night, she upgraded our Cab we ordered to a wine not available by the glass for no cost. Great, great service (and we tipped accordingly)

Worked well in the MDR in the evening. Lunch in the MDR was another story with very few wine stewards for the number of people in the dinning room.

Wine service in the buffet was very poor.

Lots of lost opportunity for revenue with the whole of the beverage service staff.

Constellation Jan3rd.

An advantage of having the drink package instead of a wine package is that you can pair each course with a different glass of wine.

We would tell the sommelier what we had ordered and she would choose a wine to go with each dish.

She usually chose well.

This sounds like an excellent idea. We have a classic package and will ask the sommelier for recommendations are you suggest. How fantastic!

Bernipops

It all depends upon the Sommelier.

We had a 16 night cruise through Panama canal and I was really fed up waiting to get wine at the table and waiting for a top up when I had drank the rather small glass he poured. I simply walked to the bar and got a glass from there. The Waiter and then the MAitre D were not happy but I said i wasnt prepared to wait. Eventually (after about 8 nights !) the sommelier realised the best way was simply to leave the bottle on the table and let me help myself.

However last year we had a fantastic sommelier. We told her of the issues on previous cruise and she assured me we would have a different experience. She soon realised I didnt have much idea of wine and happy to admit it. I often got her just to bring me what she thought would go with my food. Without being over the top she entertained our whole table with her knowledge of wine and fantastic memory for names and what we liked.

Needless to say the first one got a huge tip - NOT.

She usually chose well.

This is what I'm looking forward too.

We regularly dine and have wine pairing and we can't wait to do it on the Infinity cruise to Antarctica soon.

We hope to get our monies worth as we have 10 sea days out of the 14 :D

Can someone let me know if they also have any decent dessert wine and Port with the cheese board?

We regularly dine and have wine pairing and we can't wait to do it on the Infinity cruise to Antarctica soon.

Can someone let me know if they also have any decent dessert wine and Port with the cheese board?

I remember seeing two Tawny Ports, a 10-year and a 20-year for $7 and $13 respectively. With the premimum package that makes the 20 year a $1.15 (the amount over $12 plus tip)

I arranged for a glass of Prosecco to be waiting upon arrival.

Sommelier assisted with flights and always did well.

I dont always like the dessert offerings so sometimes I just ask for a cheese and fruit plate (off menu) with a nice port - a much nicer option to finish off the meal.

throw in some chocolate martinis later in the evening and I sleep very very well!:cool:

Note you can always get a bowl of berries if you want for dessert instead of the dessert offerings if you would like something healthier/lighter

My wife and I were on the Constellation this past July / August with the premium drink package and select seating. Each sommelier that we had was quick to refill our glasses (many times before they were even empty) and also helped make recommendations for different wines. I'd definitely recommend the premium drink package.

I'm wondering how you can tip the sommelier if you're in Select Dining and have a Classic drinks package for each of the two of us? Do you have to sign a single chit after your meal with all your selections by the glass - then it would be easy to do. Or do you get a heap of chits for single glasses of wine - then it would be more difficult, especially if both at the table choose different glasses of wine for each course. Or don't you have to sign anything - how to tip then?

Thank you for your help.

We had no problems with the package in the MDR, our wine waiter remembered our choice of wine and it was brought very soon after sitting down to dinner. However it was a different matter in the Tuscan Grille and Murano - we were looked at in horror when we asked for a glass of wine from our package as if we'd just ordered a bottle of the cheapest and nastiest wine ever, we were made to feel particularly embarassed.

Cardiff cruiser....assuming you are from Cardiff....have you been to the Doctor Who experience? It is on my list....

Cardiff cruiser....assuming you are from Cardiff....have you been to the Doctor Who experience? It is on my list....

You assume correct we are from Cardiff but as Dr Who s not my 'bag' I'm afraid so we haven't visited but I understand it is very good fro a family member who is into the TV series which has been heavily filmed in Cardiff.

I'm wondering how you can tip the sommelier if you're in Select Dining and have a Classic drinks package for each of the two of us? Do you have to sign a single chit after your meal with all your selections by the glass - then it would be easy to do. Or do you get a heap of chits for single glasses of wine - then it would be more difficult, especially if both at the table choose different glasses of wine for each course. Or don't you have to sign anything - how to tip then?

Thank you for your help.

You don't sign when you get wine/drink. Your room key/card will have the beverage pacakge you have noted on it; that is how the sommelier or bartender know what package/if any a person has. The standard 15% gratiuty is included in the price of the beverage packages. If there is a particular bartender or sommelier we wish to tip extra we give them cash.

Archived