Pre-post stay Princess anyone done this?

scaldwell

Posted this on the Europe board and no replies, so give it a whirl here.

We are considering doing a pre and post stay (we don't cruise until next year, but I like to plan ahead!!) in Rome and Venice and wondering if you purchase Princess transfers do they pick you up at the hotel and take you to the airport to get the bus to the dock or are you left to struggle on your own. Anyone had experience with this arrangement.

If you're left on your own what's the benefit of booking pre/post stay with Princess? We once flew to Miami (on our own) and purchased bus transfers to the dock, but had a heck of a time finding the Princess rep at the airport, wondering if it's any better booking through them directly.

Thanks

When we booked pre-cruise stays with Princess (our first two cruises) everything was taken care of. Our bags were collected from our room for transfer to the ship/tour the morning of actual departure. We did have to identify our bags before boarding the shuttle to the ship and again before they were turned over to be sent to the ship. Actually, that part is a good thing since you know that your luggage has made the trip with you.

When we did the Princess pre-cruise in Rome, not only was our luggage collected at the hotel and taken directly to the ship and our cabin, but we checked in for the cruise right at the hotel so that when we got off the bus, we had our cruisecard and just walked right onboard.

For our recent Royal Princess cruise, we checked our luggage for the ship right at the hotel in FLL and it was delivered directly to the cabin in Manaus, Brazil. We were also given our cruisecards so that again, when we arrived in Brazil and at the dock, we just walked right onboard the ship.

Make sure you plan on taking your valuables and medicines in your carry-on. :) I had a rolling backpack that I used that held those plus a clothing change for the overnight.

And, I've never had a problem finding the Princess Rep at any airport when I've purchased a transfer to the ship. They're at the baggage claim area and will have your name on a list if you've purchased the transfer.

I get the transfers when I'm in a foreign country and don't want to hassle with finding a taxi, paying in foreign currency, or have heavy luggage. To me, since I travel with friends or family but as a single, it's worth it to have someone else schlep my luggage.

Just like spongerob said, our bags were picked up at out hotel room, we identified them at the terminal and they then were loaded aboard the Golden w/no problem.

You should have a Princess rep. on duty at your hotel, look for him or her in the loby or ask the front desk clerks where they're located.

Have a good one,

Thanks to all. I am a bit of an anxious traveller (my husband flies for a living and is use to "strange lands and languages"), so this is worth the extra $$ just so he doesn't have to listen to me saying "we're going to miss the ship" a million times!! Believe me, if I'm happy, he's happy and if I'm not....well, you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the replies

Pam in LA

Did you stay at the Crowne Plaza St. Peters in Rome? That is one of the hotels currently used by Princess, but I keep reading terrible things about the location and the food. I like having Princess take care of all the details since we will be in a foreign country - reduces the anxiety factor for me - but I'm wondering why Princess uses this hotel if it is really so bad. Anyone have experience here? We are thinking about a two-night stay with one full day for sight seeing before embarkation. Any thoughts.

Thanks.

Babr... this was several years ago and I can't remember the name of the hotel we stayed at but it wasn't near St. Peter's. As I remember, it was an older hotel right on a park and was very nice and quite elegant. The rooms were very small but that didn't matter to me. I'll have to go and look up which hotel it was in my cruise book and get back to you.

Archived