Everything ROYAL PRINCESS: What are you looking forward to MOST of all?

dmwnc1959

The negativity isn't just on Princess. It's on every board. The Carnival

Boards are especially negative. If all these people think they can build

And run a cruise line better. Why don't they start their own cruise line?

One of the other cruise boards I read, but do not belong to, has a core

Following who are "ocean liner" fanatics. Just about every ship out

There today is not good enough. The Transatlantic era of the ocean

Liner is gone, and it's not coming back. The golden age of the cruise

Ship is here. Why can't people embrace that. They should be thankful

That so many lovely and large ships have been built and people are

Embracing travel by ship. Me who also loves ocean liners ever since

I was a kid, loves all the new and exciting ships out there. And eagerly

Awaits till the next one is launched to see what new things they behold.

If you look hard enough, you find something negative in everything. Nothing in this world is perfect. We look forward to cruising in the Fall every year. Every ship has many many positives and a few negatives. We always enjoy the positives, and always have a great time. For those that think they can design and build the greatest cruise ship ever, that would be flawless in the eyes of everyone, all I can say (to quote a famous line from a movie).........

"IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME".

I've been talking about the Royal Princess so much that yesterday one of the attorneys I work with emailed me a link to the coverage to make sure I didn't miss it, lol. At this point, I'm just happy to have a cabin and a balcony and expect to have tons of new things to explore. My mission in life is to try out every Princess ship at least once. :D

I currently have M726 booked for a December cruise. I have heard that this cabin is completely open to above! I like to sit on my balcony with some shade protection. I am thinking of changing it to another cabin on deck 15 - M711. Do you think this is good move?

I always enjoy reading what you post, but now it is even more special because I can now put a face and a voice with what you are saying. This is possible cause I watched you on the Love Boat Show.

Now if we all could get a picture of Dave, that would be great, since he has started what I consider one of the best most informative threads ever. I think we would love to associate a face with dmwnc1959!!

Hope you don't mind Dedosr, but I brought this post over from the shogun Live thread since I totally agree.

Dave - we've see seen photos of your beloved cats - any chance of getting one with you. It would be wonderful for all of us to be able to put a face with a name - even just a shot of you waving from the Lido Deck with an arrow pointing you out!!

I just want to say a big thank you to Dave and all you positive minded people out there.

I just booked a BtoB in November on the 'Royal'. If I had read the reviews currently posted, I would never have got as far as checking out itnineries.

I see cruising as a privelage and an opportunity to travel and meet amazing people (I have never failed to be enriched by the passengers and staff on the ships).

My wife had to drag me onto the first cruise ship - I now appreciate there is no better way to travel and see so many places in such a short space of time.

I can't wait to cruise on this ship and enjoy every aspect. It is not Princess job to make me enjoy myself - they provide some of the ingredients - I need to bake the cake!

All the best

Wellpark

And Thank you to ALL of you for such a great and amazing thread. So many wonderful people and such incredible teamwork. We have accomplished something very special, and we can all be proud of it!!!! :D:D:D

THANK YOU!!!

Dave, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I admire the polite way you handled queries, criticisms, praises, requests, ignoring no one and providing the best information available to you at the time. You shot more arrows than Robin Hood and only missed the mark once. It's a good thing you had a full quiver.

Now that pictures and reviews are going to be so abundant we will remember the hard work required to dig up information when it was scarce.

Good luck and enjoy the Royal when it's your turn to experience her first hand.

:)

Aw, come on! If you have sailed BEFORE (and that includes the folks that came over on the Mayflower, I think), there has ALWAYS been a Charge placed on each passenger to cover GRATUITIES! NOT a hotel charge, but a GRATUITIES charge. Let's be honest here folks....there are a lot of tourists that are not familiar with gratuities as an EXTRA charge. They are used to those charges being included in the cost of your room/cabin reservation, or dining check. What that boiled down to in many hotels, and especially restaurants and bars in the US, (and please, no offense meant to my friends from the UK), many tourists from those countries just DID NOT TIP when it is appropriate to do so.

-point #2 is that you have the option to have those charges REMOVED from the charges to your room. Some do it because they choose to reward their cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, etc. individually rather than contribute to the "pool" of gratuities. And that is fine, but remember the "behind the scenes" folks that assist you without your knowing it! Ever stop to think about them??

How about the chefs! How about the folks that serve you at the many spots in the Atrium, the Piazza, the Lido Deck, the many places that offer GENERAL services, not specific to YOU, but to everyone in the area. When was the last time you tipped the person who brought you a towel on the Lido deck???

And here's one I'll bet you never, NEVER thought about. You get up early and go for a stroll on the Promenade Deck, or wander outside of Horizon Court to enjoy the ocean breeze with a cup of coffee in your hand, or go just about anywhere on the ship.....and what do you NOT see? Dust! Dirt! Smudges! etc. You get the idea.

So take your $11.50 a day and divide it among the many, many "cast members" that work under the covers and behind the scenes to make your cruise a total success! If you want to have it removed from your total bill, go ahead. But think about it first, please. Thanks, and happy cruising!:)

Thank you !! I realize that with only one cruise to my name I probably have no business popping off about this but it really needs to be said. We cheerfully paid our gratuities onboard the Dream-and then we handed cash to our cabin steward and his staff, our headwaiter and his staff, and our bar waiter from the dining room.

I'm no rocket scientist but even I was able to figure out that someone I couldn't, and probably would never see, was washing our sheets and towels, washing our dishes, cooking our food etc. So we gladly paid the gratuities to them and then blessed the crew members we had daily contact with, who made our first cruise so wonderful and magical, a richly deserved tangible expression of our gratitude.

Sorry, I guess this post seems a bit strident but I really feel very strongly about this issue. We are not rich and even paying for our inside cabin will mean strict budgeting at home just to pay for it, but no skimping on tips ever!

And don't forget about the taxi drivers, waitstaff and bartenders while you are in the Caribbean onboard the Royal. Everything has to be shipped to these islands and it is VERY expensive to live there.

It'll be cookie crumbs if I'm following the trail left by DH.

Sorry to be late with a comment, but every time I step away from the computer I'm behind by several pages.:rolleyes:

Joanie

LOL !! Me too-both on cookie crumbs and posts !!

oh, and being late with my comments, but that's another story involving no dark dress socks, no strawberry-rhubarb pie (when the stuff to make it has been clearly visible for a few days everytime he opens the fridge door) and some dust bunnies that need wrangling.

oh yeah, my bad.

So - what is the likelihood that loungers will be available for a single sea day? Also - people have mentioned getting a lounger not in the sun. I thought all of the Sanctuary was covered' date=' the idea being that everything is in the shade.

Should I lower my expectation of being able to spend a morning in the Sanctuary on a sea day?[/quote']

Is it just me? Honestly, I don't why anyone thinks it's a GOOD THING to have to reserve a lounge chair. If someone reserves a chair, but does not use it ... it is wasteful. It also creates a lack of space ... if someone is not able to use that lounge chair. If the idea is to create a sense of "I am better than someone else" ... visit the concierge lounge. That aside, I understand the interest in private cabanas ... but think that is another way to create revenue, at the expense of the other guests. I mean, from the pictures I have seen ... the cabanas block the view of the pool (from the other not in the cabana). Why would I want to be poolside (for privacy) ... only to have everyone walk right past me to get to the pool.

I'm just waiting for the day when paying to reserve a seat in a theatre, or a restaurant is considered main stream. Sorry, that's not for me. It only serves to drive up costs for everyone else (by having to create a larger space), or, drive down the availability (by no creating a larger space).

Steven

Just remember that all the elevators, except the panoramic elevators and those two mid-ship that face each other face the front of the ship. So, for the most part, you'll always turn right (or the opposite) when exiting an elevator. The stairs always face the back of the ship. That saves me far more than the carpeting color ('cause my eyes aren't the best).

Good to know. I always looked for the colored edges. I will be sure to take notice of this tip when I sail on the Golden in November

Dave, thanks so much for this picture of my cabin. Will be a perfect background for my computer at work, as something to look forward too.

Looking forward to seeing your smiling face posted, or you waving from your balcony!

Tracey

Is it just me? Honestly, I don't why anyone thinks it's a GOOD THING to have to reserve a lounge chair. If someone reserves a chair, but does not use it ... it is wasteful. It also creates a lack of space ... if someone is not able to use that lounge chair. If the idea is to create a sense of "I am better than someone else" ... visit the concierge lounge. That aside, I understand the interest in private cabanas ... but think that is another way to create revenue, at the expense of the other guests. I mean, from the pictures I have seen ... the cabanas block the view of the pool (from the other not in the cabana). Why would I want to be poolside (for privacy) ... only to have everyone walk right past me to get to the pool.

I'm just waiting for the day when paying to reserve a seat in a theatre, or a restaurant is considered main stream. Sorry, that's not for me. It only serves to drive up costs for everyone else (by having to create a larger space), or, drive down the availability (by no creating a larger space).

Steven

Hopefully the Cabanas will be a disaster for Princess and they get pulled. Don't say it won't happen, lots of charged for things have gone because they failed. Ice cream bar charges, items at the international cafe. The sanctuary is one thing, poolside Cabanas in everyone's way is another. Anyone know if other cruise lines have similar and how they have worked.

Steven

My view is that people don't reserve space in the Sanctuary unless they plan to use it. Anyone from passengers in an inside cabin to those in suites are free to experience this luxury for a whole cruise or a full or half day. I believe that venues that bring in extra revenue keep the costs down for all passengers and provide choices. As far as reservations go, think theater, ball games, concerts, airplanes, a tip to the maitre d' for a prime seat in a restaurant, etc. Nothing new about that. Anyone can have a perfectly wonderful cruise without spending one extra red cent if they so choose.

Hope you don't mind Dedosr' date=' but I brought this post over from the shogun Live thread since I totally agree.

Dave - we've see seen photos of your beloved cats - any chance of getting one with you. It would be wonderful for all of us to be able to put a face with a name - even just a shot of you waving from the Lido Deck with an arrow pointing you out!![/quote']

I don't mind at all!!

Steve

My view is that people don't reserve space in the Sanctuary unless they plan to use it. Anyone from passengers in an inside cabin to those in suites are free to experience this luxury for a whole cruise or a full or half day. I believe that venues that bring in extra revenue keep the costs down for all passengers and provide choices. As far as reservations go, think theater, ball games, concerts, airplanes, a tip to the maitre d' for a prime seat in a restaurant, etc. Nothing new about that. Anyone can have a perfectly wonderful cruise without spending one extra red cent if they so choose.

I agree, Carolyn. That is the point that I tried to make several pages ago. Princess is an affordable cruise line that I find classy. The for fee items allow that to remain affordable to us. We can choose to participate or we can pass on it if we aren't interested in a particular for fee item. Whatever floats your boat. My wife and I are happy to be able to cruise and enjoy choosing what amenities to use. We cut our teeth on the Big Red Boat and we were just as enamored when we were on that ship. It forever hooked us on cruises.

Paul

Carolyn;

Well stated.....:):):)

Bob

And my view too.:)

When friends ask about cruising, one of the things I mention is that you can do as much as you want and as little as you want.:cool:

Dave, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I admire the polite way you handled queries, criticisms, praises, requests, ignoring no one and providing the best information available to you at the time. You shot more arrows than Robin Hood and only missed the mark once. It's a good thing you had a full quiver.

Now that pictures and reviews are going to be so abundant we will remember the hard work required to dig up information when it was scarce.

Good luck and enjoy the Royal when it's your turn to experience her first hand.

Very well said, Ditto from me!! He also was amazing at coming to my rescue when I was getting fired up by another poster. Dave I wish you were on my sailing!!

Hopefully the Cabanas will be a disaster for Princess and they get pulled. Don't say it won't happen, lots of charged for things have gone because they failed. Ice cream bar charges, items at the international cafe. The sanctuary is one thing, poolside Cabanas in everyone's way is another. Anyone know if other cruise lines have similar and how they have worked.

HAL has had the cabanas on their newer ships for a couple of years now. Both on the lido deck and their retreat. The cabanas are very successful! The initial complaints were they were blocking the sea views rather than the pool.

I believe you can rent them weekly. $199 week for lido deck, $299 week in their retreat.

I have not been on a HAL ship that has this feature.

Cheers, Denise

Dave, Having followed RP on FB for months, I, like others, have been very excited about her. I am sure that those who have been with you for months have had a very special experience and know how much work you have put into this thread. But being a late comer has not been a disadvantage. In fact, in some ways I may be even more aware of how much work you and so many others have done, since I experienced it in an overwhelming three day marathon!

Like some of the reviewers, I do wish balconies were larger and that we had a full promenade. Toilet paper may be awkward to reach (this one is easy fix for Regal) but I still expect this to be a wonderful experience! Every Princess cruise I have taken has been made special by the passengers and the crew that I have met. I know my husband will be at the Gelato Bar no matter how much they charge. He became a real gelato lover on our Princess cruise through the Mediterranean when he tasted gelato in every Italian Port! I know that I will be loving the Atrium and lounging on the Lido deck. So what if my pool view is blocked, as long as they do not block my view of the ocean and the Caribbean Sea. I look forward to the new Horizon Court/Bistro. I want to practice my putting, play a little bocce ball, struggle over trivia in the new Live Studio. I want to drink wine with new friends and get gussied up for formal nights. I want to dance till I drop, sip quietly at the Seaview Bar and walk (several times) on the SeaWalk.

As for gratuity complaints...where do these people live? if you took a land vacation, wouldn't you tip the hotel maid, the valet, the waiter, the tour guide? Well, maybe they don't.

A thousand thank you's Dave. Do I wish I had found you sooner? Maybe yes, but maybe this was the best way for me.

Steven

I remember way back when I took my first two cruises on the Homes Lines

Homeric. You had to reserve a deck chair and pay for it. They put your

Name on the chair. The deck stewards made sure no one was sitting in

"Your" chair.

Archived