Everything ROYAL PRINCESS: What are you looking forward to MOST of all?

dmwnc1959

I have a thought on the subject of the pools. On other Princess ships with more pools, I have observed that the pools themselves are not really overcrowded, just the deck space around them with loungers. Everyone complains there aren't enough of them. We always find loungers but not necessarily by the pools.

In this design on the Royal, the pools are on one deck with plenty of deck space to feel you are around the pools because they are in your line of sight.

The adult pool looks to be twice the size of the terrace pool on other ships. We never felt there were too many people in that pool. :)

My only cruise was on the carnival Dream and i spent most of it in the aft pool, which was tiny. Lots of people sitting around the edge but very few actually went into the pool, even though there was lots of room!

The pools on the Royal are much bigger, except for the smaller round pool aft of the main pool. I just can't see how the pools will be an issue when you factor the retreat pool into it.

I look forward to cruising with you Mom33.

These cabanas have been in the Preview Videos on the Princess Cruises website since last year. sorry you're just getting the word.

While I am a fan of the new ship, I have never been a big fan of the change in the pools, be it the number or design. For a summer cruise or anytime this ship, which suits families well, the large pool will be flooded with kids as it is their only choice. The Retreat Pool, while available to all adults, is really centered around the cabana users. For my Baltics cruise next summer, with two days at sea out of eleven in total, it's not a problem. It might be problematic in me ever booking a Caribbean cruise on this class of ship. We'll see how this plays out. I have always thought of pools as a strength are for Princess, not so much with this class. They are coming back to the pack.

The excitement on this thread is palpable!!!

I'm heading out to play golf...wonder if it will be over or near 5,000 posts when I get finished!!

Remember, save post #5,000 for Dave!:p

It may be close!! Which of our many courses are you playing today? DH is an avid golfer. He organizes a group of 16-20 that play every Friday. They usually play one of The Barefoot courses or one of the many around Little River to Ocean Isle.

Good luck and try not to burn up today, it is gonna be a hot one!!

While I am a fan of the new ship, I have never been a big fan of the change in the pools, be it the number or design. For a summer cruise or anytime this ship, which suits families well, the large pool will be flooded with kids as it is their only choice. The Retreat Pool, while available to all adults, is really centered around the cabana users. For my Baltics cruise next summer, with two days at sea out of eleven in total, it's not a problem. It might be problematic in me ever booking a Caribbean cruise on this class of ship. We'll see how this plays out. I have always thought of pools as a strength are for Princess, not so much with this class. They are coming back to the pack.

IDK hubofhockey, still looks like quite a few chairs by the retreat pool. That's where I plan to be on the days I don't want to hear MUTS. I think there will be so much to do on this ship even sea days that it will really spread out the crowd. I can't wait to see all the reviews come in and how it will actually be.

Thank you SO MUCH Egret32, Big Al, Bernadette, Anne and Nina for your insights into OBCs. I'm still taking in all these great tips and will contact my TA once I have a game plan based on this info.

Egret32 - if you are willing to share I would certainly appreciate the contact info for your TA - especially since she is in this area. Email is kdnevents@live.com.

Need to talk DH into taking a Princess cruise (shouldn't be too hard) so I can take advantage of the future cruise OBC feature. We've done that with Celebrity.

Congrats Bernadette on all the OBCs - that is fantastic.

And again - thank you to everyone who is taking the time to post, to reply, to educate, and to encourage. We're all in for one heck of a ride!! Kay

I use a cruise-specific TA and she is extremely knowlegeable. She knows what we like and lets us know if there are sales. She also watches the prices of our booked cruises and gets us the discounts when they come up. She is part of a larger group that gets blocks of cabins at discounts while they last. She knows we can shop elsewhere and always gives us perks including OBCs of her own plus sometimes her group offers them. Sometimes she even gives me extra ones when I put a group together. She always sends a gift like wine or champagne to enjoy onboard. Plus--and this can be a big one--she never charges for changes. So if you decide on a different cabin or switch dates or anything there are no charges. Many agencies have these. Best of all, she is a trouble shooter. When a client runs into an emergency that triggers the insurance, she fills out the forms and acts as your advocate. I haven't needed that but she tells me about dealing with evacuations and deaths etc. So I think I good ta is well worth it....not that costs me more. Mine is in your state, but I am in Florida so place doesn't matter.
Kay: TA's have special group rates that you will not be aware of..That is, they block say, 20 cabins on several catagories for a lower price guaranteeing the cruise line they will sell those cabins...Also ask if there is a group rate on "this ( your cruise date) sailing"..also ask for discounts for any of the these you may qualify for: past guest, AAA, state resident of xxxx , military, senior or AARP..write these down and always keep them handy...and as a few others have posted, when you get on board, go see the travel consultants and find out what they offer for a future cruise..usually it's a reduced deposit PLUS an OBC either now on your cruise ( like $100 ) or for that future cruise...make sure you know WHEN the cruise must be booked by ( expiration dates)..often now it is 3 or 4 years from the date you give the deposit..overall, if you are pretty certain you will cruise again with Princess, it's a good deal....Big Al
next trip.....shop around for TA pricing...my Royal Princess booking got a 225$ Travel agent on board credit, but we also had the future cruise credits.....200$ and the shareholder credit...100$...and using my extra Princess Visa points, I am getting another 50$ on board credit and a free balcony breakfast..575$...my highest yet for all my Princess cruises...Bernadette
Kay my tip is to pay a deposit for a future cruise when on board a Princess cruise. You pay $100 fully refundable which you can use to book a future cruise. When on the ship you don't even need to know what cruise you want to take. The $100 sits in your Princess account until you are ready to make a booking. By paying the deposit on board you then get on board credit when you select your cruise. For a two week cruise you get $100 OBC. You are able to fill in a form at the future cruise desk and put it the box outside. It gets charged to your shipboard account. There is an added benefit in that this is the only amount you need to pay until the final payment on the cruise is due. Hope this helps. Anne
The most common ways of getting OBC's are: shareholder credit; military onboard credit; and through future cruise credits which you buy onboard during your cruise. Unless you are willing to buy 100 shares of stock - approximately $3,400 or are in the military or a veteran, you are out of luck... Better get those future cruise credits when you are on your cruise! Nina

Thanks Dave for all your information and pictures. I can't wait to board the Royal in a few weeks. There has been so much information about this shiip that I feel I know it very well. It is so beautiful and those who give a bad review perhaps don't know what takes to be a fine ship.

Dave you have been so informative that it is greatly appreciated and I want to thank you again. I will be on board on July 5. Trudy

I spent the entire morning just catching up since yesterday. I saw one photo of the Patters that showed the pianist in Crooners is Kory Simon. I sailed with him a few years ago on Royal Caribbean. He is great! I am hoping he will still be on the Royal Princess for the TA.

Can someone point me to the Bellinis menu? I am loving the food photos and menus. By the looks of the only MDR menu I have seen, we can expect some new and exciting additions.

Dave, Thanks for all the info! Being a "Loyal to Royal" girl, I find myself terribly excited for this ship particularly for the pool deck, the Sanctuary, and that wonderful pizza (yes, I know that's pathetic, but honest!). After THREE changes of ship, my family has finally decided on the Royal for Christmas but I have two questions (forgive my ignorance).

First, can you book the Sanctuary prior to the cruise? And second, do you or anyone have a picture of a Cat MA Accessible (I will have both parents in wheelchairs)? Can't find info on those anywhere.

Thanks for all of your fabulous updates!

Currently in transit on my way to the UK to board on Friday.

Really really looking firwad to it.

I know not everything will be to my liking, e.g. Crab shack but as long as there is wine, champagne and food I will have a great time.

I will be on with Shogun until Barcelona so may supplement his live from with my observations.

BIG thanks to Dave for building the excitement.

Good luck and calm seas to all who get to enjoy this ship over the coming weeks and months.

Dave. (the swiss one)

Save journey Swiss Dave!!! :D :D :D

I spent the entire morning just catching up since yesterday. I saw one photo of the Patters that showed the pianist in Crooners is Kory Simon. I sailed with him a few years ago on Royal Caribbean. He is great! I am hoping he will still be on the Royal Princess for the TA.

Can someone point me to the Bellinis menu? I am loving the food photos and menus. By the looks of the only MDR menu I have seen, we can expect some new and exciting additions.

296123_659417544084214_108208149_n.jpg

(Credit Jo Rigby Facebook)

Dave, Thanks for all the info! Being a "Loyal to Royal" girl, I find myself terribly excited for this ship particularly for the pool deck, the Sanctuary, and that wonderful pizza (yes, I know that's pathetic, but honest!). After THREE changes of ship, my family has finally decided on the Royal for Christmas but I have two questions (forgive my ignorance).

First, can you book the Sanctuary prior to the cruise? And second, do you or anyone have a picture of a Cat MA Accessible (I will have both parents in wheelchairs)? Can't find info on those anywhere.

Thanks for all of your fabulous updates!

Hi jrljel!

The Sanctuary is booked on the day of embarkation for Full Cruise reservations only. Meaning if you want to book it for the duration of your cruise, that is the day. If you want to book it for a Full Single Day or Half-day you have to go up on the morning of that day to check availability.

Sorry, no pictures yet of any accessible cabins that I can remember. We may have to wait for some passengers coming off the ship in the next month or so.

Have a GREAT cruise! The ships are decorated wonderfully and I imagine Princess will pull out all the stops for Royal Princess first Christmas! :D

IDK hubofhockey, still looks like quite a few chairs by the retreat pool. That's where I plan to be on the days I don't want to hear MUTS. I think there will be so much to do on this ship even sea days that it will really spread out the crowd. I can't wait to see all the reviews come in and how it will actually be.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong on this one. I am a big fan of the ship and even have it booked for next July. I guess it's those cabanas right in the middle of everything and blocking vision of that pool that annoy me. I'll get past it. ;)

Hey, I hope I'm wrong on this one. I am a big fan of the ship and even have it booked for next July. I guess it's those cabanas right in the middle of everything and blocking vision of that pool that annoy me. I'll get past it. ;)

I guess I don't get that part...why do you need to 'see' the pool? Just to make sure it's still there? lol ;)

I know I noticed that too. It does seem a bit odd to put cabana's which you have to pay extra for in the adult pool section that's not extra. Maybe no one will rent them and the curtains will stay open so we can see the pool!!LOL

I guess I don't get that part...why do you need to 'see' the pool? Just to make sure it's still there? lol ;)

That's a good question, considering I prefer lounge chairs on the edge of the ship with ocean views. :confused: I suppose what annoys me is that those cabanas make the pool seem to be the domain of the people in the cabanas. I need to get past that. I am one of the few who wind up using the pools, especially on hot sea days. I haven't figured out which I'll use.

Archived