Drinks/Wine questions

BillnBev

A couple of questions from a newbie to HAL.

1. Can we take a couple of bottles of wine onboard for consumption in our staterooms? (how many?)

2. I see HAL offer a couple of seven bottle 'packages', we like to drink wine with our meals in the MDR (as well as on our balcony - LOL), does it work out cheaper to pre-purchase the wines via the 'package' way or are the bottles the same price onboard anyway?

3. Will we be able to drink wines (in our stateroom) purchased on Port Calls during our cruise or do they 'collect' them when you get back onboard and deliver them to your stateroom on the last night (sort of like X do)?

A couple of questions from a newbie to HAL.

1. Can we take a couple of bottles of wine onboard for consumption in our staterooms? (how many?)

2. I see HAL offer a couple of seven bottle 'packages', we like to drink wine with our meals in the MDR (as well as on our balcony - LOL), does it work out cheaper to pre-purchase the wines via the 'package' way or are the bottles the same price onboard anyway?

3. Will we be able to drink wines (in our stateroom) purchased on Port Calls during our cruise or do they 'collect' them when you get back onboard and deliver them to your stateroom on the last night (sort of like X do)?

One of he best pluses for HAL over other cruise lines is their liberal wine policy. You can bring as much wine onboard (at anytime, even visiting ports) as you wish (some people bring cases).

As to their wine packages - It is a bit cheaper to buy the package, but not a great savings as I recall. You should review the wines CURRENTLY available on your ship before buying any package. I am not a wine expert, but quite frankly I was disappointed in the wines available in the Navigator package, so I would get the Admiral one. Also, if you are really into wine, you might consider bringing your own onboard and paying the $18 corkage fee. Its probably cheaper (in many departure ports in the US) to do so, plus you will get a wine you are happy with.

Side note - once you get to be a 3 or 4 star Mariner (or one of your party is), you get a 25 or 50% discount on the packages.

Definitely wait until you are on the ship and can talk over the various wine packages with your wine steward. He/She can point out which would be better for you once you give him an idea of what type of wines you like.

Great point! Also, I think it is better to purchase a package from your table's wine steward than from HAL online or at the wine table in the Lido the first afternoon. The wine steward seems to appreciate us doing it this way for some reason, plus as stated, you can better discuss your options with him.

DaveOKC

So can you keep it in your cabin if you bring a couple of bottles on board or do they take it off you and you have to ask for it? Must remember to pack a corkscrew:)

You can keep your wine in your cabin. If you forget a corkscrew, if there isn't one in your cabin, you can ask your steward for one.

... Also, if you are really into wine, you might consider bringing your own onboard and paying the $18 corkage fee. ...

Just to make sure the BillnBev (the OP) are clear: the corkage fee applies if you take wine you have brought aboard to one of the restaurants or bars. It does not apply to wine you consume in your cabin/on your balcony; there is no corkage fee in that case.

Dave

Archived