Why is there no comfortable place to sit and read?

LDVinNC

Just today we returned from a Western Caribbean cruise on the Dawn. Generally we enjoyed the trip: service was fine, food was good to very good, etc. We had a few issues with the ship. There was almost no place to sit and read a book except on our balcony.

On both sides of the promenade deck 7 there were a total of 24 deck chairs. We were able to snag a couple for a while on several of the port days, but much of the time all were occupied. The Library had seating for 16, and the times we were there people kept wandering through looking for a place to sit.

All the space that could have been for lounge space is taken up by the many upcharge dining venues that were virtually unused until 5:50 pm. (And, Moderno was virtually unused alll the time!).

The deck chairs on the Lido were all in the sun, and taken or reserved all the time anyway!

We were very disappointed with this and believe me, we will very carefully examine the deck plans of any ships we may consider sailing in the future. The Dawn and her sisters will not be among those we look at.

And don't get me started about the miniscule toilet compartment! The bathroom concept was great, but the execution was flawed.

One thing that concerned us: one evening I felt unwell about 7:45pm. We looked at the Daily and saw that the Medical Center was open until 8pm, so we headed down there. Well, it was locked up tight, and the phone went unanswered. We decided it could wait - and it turned out I felt fine the next day so did not go back. Another passenger came by while we were trying to get in and he left when he saw the rates listed on the door.

If they say it is open until 8pm, it darn well should be!

Lest I be thought an NCL newbie and malcontent, we have sailed twice on the Sun and greatly enjoyed those trips.

I wondered if lounge seating would be an issue post-refurb. When we sailed the Dawn in 2010 we enjoyed the Observation Lounge (I think that's what it was called) for quiet time when we didn't want to be on our balcony or in the sun. I know that space was repurposed and I'm sorry to hear that the result was a loss of space. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip, despite this disappointment!

Just today we returned from a Western Caribbean cruise on the Dawn. Generally we enjoyed the trip: service was fine, food was good to very good, etc. We had a few issues with the ship. There was almost no place to sit and read a book except on our balcony.

On both sides of the promenade deck 7 there were a total of 24 deck chairs. We were able to snag a couple for a while on several of the port days, but much of the time all were occupied. The Library had seating for 16, and the times we were there people kept wandering through looking for a place to sit.

All the space that could have been for lounge space is taken up by the many upcharge dining venues that were virtually unused until 5:50 pm. (And, Moderno was virtually unused alll the time!).

The deck chairs on the Lido were all in the sun, and taken or reserved all the time anyway!

We were very disappointed with this and believe me, we will very carefully examine the deck plans of any ships we may consider sailing in the future. The Dawn and her sisters will not be among those we look at.

And don't get me started about the miniscule toilet compartment! The bathroom concept was great, but the execution was flawed.

One thing that concerned us: one evening I felt unwell about 7:45pm. We looked at the Daily and saw that the Medical Center was open until 8pm, so we headed down there. Well, it was locked up tight, and the phone went unanswered. We decided it could wait - and it turned out I felt fine the next day so did not go back. Another passenger came by while we were trying to get in and he left when he saw the rates listed on the door.

If they say it is open until 8pm, it darn well should be!

Lest I be thought an NCL newbie and malcontent, we have sailed twice on the Sun and greatly enjoyed those trips.

I have sailed on both the Dawn and her sister ship the Star.

I agree that the promenade had little to offer for chairs esp...in the shade, however I always found one eventually. You can drag the chairs to your hearts content as well.

I think that the Library on both ships was both beautiful and peaceful and I read there a lot as well.

Deck 13 forward behind the Bier Garten or whatever was quiet, peaceful and great for reading.

The Spinnaker is always open and when events aren't happening I read there as well.

I sometimes propped myself in a window alcove on deck 7 and read and people watched at the same time.

The atrium is also great for a coffee and pastry and a quiet read at certain times of the day.

It never occured to me that there was a lack of quiet or reading space. certainly not to the point of counting chairs. I was on vacation.

Sorry it occured to you. Enough to count chairs. (No disrespect intended) could there have been more?...likely but I was OK

It is easy to count chairs when there are only about 12 on the whole length of the Promenade Deck and you are searching. Spinnaker was a possibilty, yes, but quite dark during the day. We checked it out. Did miss the space on Deck 13 that you mentioned.

I sailed on the Dawn in 2010, before her last refurbishment. I heard she lost some public space converted to cabins, including the old Spinnaker lounge.

I didn't have a problem with the balcony bathrooms; I actually liked the toilet mini-compartment.

Not sure why the medical center closed early that day, but glad that worked out OK in the end.

Never been on the Dawn, but I agree about that problem from our Spirit cruise... there was no comfy chair to sit and read a book with your feet up.

And about the Medical Center... I had to call the concierge to get some help getting people to answer the phone. Once we got help, they were great, but it was very concerning that it took Racquel to get someone to answer!

It is easy to count chairs when there are only about 12 on the whole length of the Promenade Deck and you are searching. Spinnaker was a possibilty, yes, but quite dark during the day. We checked it out. Did miss the space on Deck 13 that you mentioned.

True on the promenade and it did occur to me enough to think...How much would it cost NCL to load this extra wide promenade with loungers and cafe tables and cafe chairs etc....This is a reasonable concern for passengers and NCL should make Promenades more friendly for relaxation, as that is the purpose of a promenade.

True not many chairs on the promenade deck, but the top deck had a ton of chairs past the pool area, very quiet. It even had the "sshhh quiet zone" signs up there.

I liked the bathroom, better than the Sky's tiny circle shower with a curtain that always stuck to you!

True on the promenade and it did occur to me enough to think...How much would it cost NCL to load this extra wide promenade with loungers and cafe tables and cafe chairs etc....This is a reasonable concern for passengers and NCL should make Promenades more friendly for relaxation, as that is the purpose of a promenade.

I agree. I remember there used to be plenty of loungers along with tables and chairs. I counted promenade loungers on the Pearl during Thanksgiving week and they had six on one side and about seven on the other. Prior to that sailing I had never seen so few. I thought it just a fluke but now reading someone else noticed and counted as few on another ship, I hope it is not intentional.

coka

Oh dear...finding this a bit disconcerting as one of the top things I want to do on this (our first!) cruise is just sit, relax, read and watch the sea go by! Thanks for the tips on the out-of-the-way places to do that; I'd love to hear more ideas on that.

Cat

I have seen people sit in the buffet area when the buffet is closed...actually, seen them sitting there, reading, when it is open (that is one of my pet peeves).

I think that the number of chairs on the promenade deck, since that is the lifeboat loading location as well, has recently been limited by the U.S. Coast Guard or some other authority as a safety measure..

Have not cruised on NCL alot. But on other cruise lines, I see people sitting reading in restaurants and louges that are not in use.

Also, if the Medical center was not open, I would have contacted Customer Service asap for assistance.

Spinnaker is a big disapointment since it was moved and reconfigured. Fewer windows & smaller. I hope that NCL won't do this to its other ships.

Star bar on 13 is usually for suite guests on most/some ships. However, I found that most of the specialty restaurants are available during the day to relax and hang out. Moderno in particular was set up on Star with games etc to encourage people to relax and hang out.

There are many quiet area outside up around 13 to be out in the sun, most with wind breaks to keep it peaceful.

Love sitting upstairs in the Great Outdoors just beyond the buffet at the back of the ship. Always lots of tables and chairs, sun or shade, ocean view and handy to the soft ice cream machine!

No Great Outdoors on the Dawn, unfortunately. Really missed that and a top of the ship great view Spinnaker. Bathroom didn't bother me.

Glad the OP had the balcony to sit and read. We tried our first inside and there was not even a couch to sit on and read. Met someone with OV and they didn't have one, either. Maybe it was just the lower class cabins without one, I don't know, but I've always sat either on the balcony if not too sunny or on the couch and read while DH has his afternoon nap, lol.

Problem may have been greater for OP as it appeared the ship was packed and every nook and cranny already had people in it. I did see a couple reading on lounge chairs in a shady spot up on the top.

Archived