Anyone been snorkling at Princess Cay in January?

Tys Mom

Nor sure if this applies but I was surf fishing at Princess Cayes early Dec 2012 and found the water really warm. was only up to knees but got wet from the waves hitting you as you were fishing. Was in the water for about 2 hours and did not feel cold at all. The ocean was warm it was not cold at all compared to lakes in Ontario Canada. I am a person who gets chilled easy. Hope this helps and have a great time.:)

Thank you.

I have a shorty I was considering to take but didn't want to use precious luggage space if it wouldn't be used. Perhaps it wouldn't be wasted at all.

Year after year I always chill a bit, finally last year (March) I didn't. Brought a 3mm shorty, used it for PC, STT, & GT. If you're going to be in for more than 20 minutes or so it really makes a difference. Worth bringing IMHO if you can use more than once.

I snorkeled there on January 5th. It's chilly but definitely do-able. You don't have to stay in the water a long time...you can easily snorkel around the feeding pier in 15 minutes or less. If you wear a rash guard, you'll be a bit warmer.

I admit I am ignorant of many things!:D

I've seen you mention a 'rash guard' here and on your blog,

can you explain what that is?

BTW, LOVE your blog! We will be on the Emerald February 25th for (I think) your last voyage of the winter. Hope to see you there!

Thank you.

I have a shorty I was considering to take but didn't want to use precious luggage space if it wouldn't be used. Perhaps it wouldn't be wasted at all.

My husband has a full wetsuit that he is taking. I used one of those packing bags (roll type) and it really helped to reduce the bulk. Not sure what his is rated for, but he uses it when he white water rafts in West Virginia in the fall and those water temps are generally in the 50s/60s and he says it does a great job.

We went to an AI in the Bahamas in February a few years ago and the water was really only warm enough one day to venture out.

I admit I am ignorant of many things!:D

I've seen you mention a 'rash guard' here and on your blog,

can you explain what that is?

BTW, LOVE your blog! We will be on the Emerald February 25th for (I think) your last voyage of the winter. Hope to see you there!

Thanks! I purchased mine through Lands End.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-aquaterra-long-sleeve-rash-guard~246901_59.html

I was just there on Friday and plenty of people were in the water without wet suits. I never got in but put my feet in and even though it was a bit chilly at first it wasn't so cold that I wouldn't have gotten in if I had wanted to and it was warm enough that I know I would have gotten used to it quickly.

I snorkeled there on January 5th. It's chilly but definitely do-able. You don't have to stay in the water a long time...you can easily snorkel around the feeding pier in 15 minutes or less. If you wear a rash guard, you'll be a bit warmer.

Isn't the feeding pier gone? :confused: