NY Disembarkation and Plane Timing

SantaAna,CA

Hi, I will be taking my first T/A on Cunard's QE2 from Southampton to New York in November, 2013. I searched some of the threads for an answer, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Do forgive if this is a repeat question.

What airport, in your experience, is best to fly out of after leaving the ship, and what is the earliest time you would recommend booking a flight back home? There's just one of me, so not a lot of logistics. Thanks so much.

Jane

Assuming the ship docks at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, LaGuardia is the nearest airport, about 13 miles. For a domestic (US) flight we find that the easiest though the airport itself leaves much to be desired.

As for getting off the ship, if you can manage your own luggage, the self help disembarkation will get you off the ship first thing. We have done this four times in Brooklyn and the latest we have ever gotten off (after having a full breakfast in Britannia) was 8:30.

The earliest we have booked flights out of NY has been about 1:30, which have always made with plenty of time to spare. Of course it is always best to be safe than sorry, and avoid cutting it too close.

JFK or LGA are closer to Brooklyn then EWR. However it really depends upon what schedules, fares, airlines you find work best for you. Cunard has transfer to all 3 airports.

We recently returned to Brooklyn on QM2, we were assigned light blue tags #1 and we were to disembark after 8:15am. We were off at 8:30(ish), we managed missed all of the struggles for luggage inside the terminal.

We were on the bus by 9:00am (then waited for over 1 1/2hr for passengers) finally left without them.

We arrived at EWR just before 11:00am

Hi, I will be taking my first T/A on Cunard's QE2 from Southampton to New York in November, 2013. I searched some of the threads for an answer, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Do forgive if this is a repeat question.

What airport, in your experience, is best to fly out of after leaving the ship, and what is the earliest time you would recommend booking a flight back home? There's just one of me, so not a lot of logistics. Thanks so much.

Jane

Didn't know QE2 was still sailing. Isn't she parked in Dubai, waiting for the scrappers? :)

I wouldn't book too early, just to be safe. If you self disembark this will make it easier, but aim for a post lunch flight. You might have to sit at the airport a little while, but at least you will (hopefully) avoid the panic of booking a morning flight and praying traffic, weather etc all works in your favour.

Archived