RC policy for compact fold-up bicycles?

I am taking my first cruise on a RC ship, Brilliance, departing San Juan this Sat. I have taken my fold-up bicycle on board other ships before with little problem (Carnival) to no problem (Princess). I did this without even asking if they allow me to bring it and use it in ports. This time I decided to ask ahead. Well, the travel agent looked it up and told me that bicycles were not allowed ! I then called a RC rep and he said the same thing, but he could not show this to me in writing (such as web pages are), and I can not find that policy written anywhere in the fine print on the web site either.

My question to you is - have any of you regular RC customers ever seen people using a small fold-in-half bicycle when getting on and off a RC ship before?? Do you think they might let me take it off the ship in the ports anyway?

I have a suspicion that they would rather not have bicycles because they could get in the way a bit when in line going ashore, and going up and down stairs (or elevators that I never use), but I'm going to take the $70 chance and bring it on the plane anyway to use around San Juan for 2 days. They surely would let me take it on board in the luggage bag even if they don't let me use it !

I am taking my first cruise on a RC ship, Brilliance, departing San Juan this Sat. I have taken my fold-up bicycle on board other ships before with little problem (Carnival) to no problem (Princess). I did this without even asking if they allow me to bring it and use it in ports. This time I decided to ask ahead. Well, the travel agent looked it up and told me that bicycles were not allowed ! I then called a RC rep and he said the same thing, but he could not show this to me in writing (such as web pages are), and I can not find that policy written anywhere in the fine print on the web site either.

My question to you is - have any of you regular RC customers ever seen people using a small fold-in-half bicycle when getting on and off a RC ship before?? Do you think they might let me take it off the ship in the ports anyway?

I have a suspicion that they would rather not have bicycles because they could get in the way a bit when in line going ashore, and going up and down stairs (or elevators that I never use), but I'm going to take the $70 chance and bring it on the plane anyway to use around San Juan for 2 days. They surely would let me take it on board in the luggage bag even if they don't let me use it !

There was a guy that was called to the "naughty" room when we were because of one of his pieces of luggage. He opened it for them and there was a fold up bike (or bikes) in it. They were only curious because of the weight of it. He and his wife used them on the rest of the cruise. I don't see a reason for not allowing you to bring it along with you. People bring motorcycles on board, why not bikes. The worst that could happen is that they keep it and give it back at the end of the cruise. This was on the Enchantment last October. Good luck.

Gwen :)

Happens all the time with regard to bringing sodas/water or even smuggling liquor onboard. RC's policy says no but it seems to be left up to the security staff whether to actually enforce the policy. I've brought diet DP onboard on several cruises and only once had an issue.

There doesn't seem to be a written policy for bringing or not bringing bicycles onboard. It's not like RC's phone reps give correct information each time either. I suspect whether the OP gets to keep his bicycle in the cabin will be left up to the discretion of the staff of Brilliance.

I'm not sure exactly what the OP's bicycle looks like. I've got a coworker who rides a fold-up bicycle to work but it sounds like it breaks down to smaller pieces than OPs. His has small wheels that come off and a frame that folds up. It fits into a standard size (24") gym bag that he puts under his desk during the day. Until the bag is run through an X-ray machine, no one would know there was a bicyle inside.

Let me see if I have this correct, you got an answer from the people you booked your cruise with, but you would still do the opposit if CC said it was ok:rolleyes:

It is safe to say the people here on CC know more about RCI than RCI staff know about RCI.:eek:

Personally, I would just do it. The advice you get on the phone isn't always right. Maybe the rep pictured you riding your bike on board and figured he/she better say no way.

A fold up bike can't be any bigger than when my daughter brings her scuba equipment (which many people do). Her scuba equipment bag is huge without the tanks of course and then if I toss in my fins and snorkle stuff - watch out. And I even bring my sun umbrella when we cruise to coco cay or Labadee and that is an akward size as well. It helps living close to the port. But like a previous poster said, if its REALLY not allowed, they'll keep it and give it back at the end of the cruise.

I also think its a great idea for some of the ports RCI visits. And yes, usually you get great information from CC members.

I've seen motorcycles, so why not a bicycle? The worst that could happen is that RC could hold it for you until the end of the cruise.

I agree that reps on the phone at RCI do not know much and are very inconsistent in the information they give out.:mad:

When they say "No bicycles" they're thinking of full-size ones that will fill up the elevator, can't be carried up the stairs or stored in the cabin, etc. if you take yours on in its carrying bag, and keep it in your cabin, you won't be inconveniencing anyone, and I can't see why anyone would object

• 1 month later...

As the OP, let me report that as most of you, and I, suspected, there was only a slight problem with the bike in the bag.

They held it down in the "naughty room" until I went down to claim it. Then I just confirmed that it was a fold-up bicycle and they let me have it with no other question or problem the rest of the trip.

Unfortunate thing was that I got sick with bad sinus infection after 1st full day and so I only used it before the cruise and that day 1 on St. Thomas/ St. John, then I let my cabin mate use it the last port day on St. Croix. I only got off the ship once out of the 4 last ports :-(

Edwin

A fold-up bike should be fine, as it will easily stow under the bed or in the closet.

If fold up wheelchairs are allowed to help people get around the port, I don't see why fold up bikes would not also be allowed for the same purpose.

hi luckybrat,

I just bought a cheap one online. It has a good name, but since it is sold only online and not from bikes hops, it is very true that I got about what I paid for. Search for Schwinn Loop 7 speed and you should find it online , probably for sale on amazon or e-bay. I think there was only a limited production run of them from China as they were hard to find the last time I looked. I bought 2 of them for only $210 each including shipping back 2 years ago. Now I look again and it seems they are available for near what I paid.

Anyway, I recommend them only if you have experience working on bicycles, because there are several things about them that need tweeking and could need replacing if you are a strong rider using them going up hills. If you want my more detailed account of what I have done to fix mine (the other was for my best cruise buddy, she doesn't use hers near as much as I do), send me a text to my disguised cell fun with you personal e-mail or I can call you back. hear is my numb burr, tree a tree for, foe or selvin see row, tree selvin sea roe see row. Or if that was fun to read but you don't text, ring my homely numb burr and leaf a mess age if I am not their, tree a tree for, tree for selvin, to fife tree for.

Edwin

The customer service at RC has probably the worst knowledge & insight on the do's & don'ts of their own cruisline.

Next time you call the for anything just ask them how many of the ships they have been on.

I would recommend you don't give it to the Porters for delivery onto the ship, unless you want the bike to be folded in more ways than it was intended. Having seen what my luggage looks like after going through the process once delivered to the room, I can assure you, you would likely not find it to be in great shape. I know it may be a burden to carry it on, but that would be my recommendation.

I don't see why Royal would object. How is a fold-up bike any worse or more inconvenient for Royal than wheel chairs, Hover Rounds, fancy baby and toddler strollers, golf clubs, and so on. One of the Royal captains has a beautiful motor cycle he keeps in the bridge.

Good luck with your bikes. It is certainly worth a try.

Slightly off-center, but watching the Key West port cam yesterday as AIDA crew offloaded a dozen full sized bicycles before the pax started to get off the ship. So some lines must allow them onboard.

Decision depends a lot on cost of transporting the bike if you fly vs. availability and cost of renting a bike in how ever many ports you plan to use it.

Most US airlines are charging $35 for the 2nd pc. of luggage, so if you fly to departure port, you spend $70 right there. If you only plan to use it once or twice per trip, renting would be easier if you can locate one to rent. If you are going on a longer trip with more ports, then BYOB makes more sense, but then you may have to figure out best way to pack some of you clothes, shoes, etc in with the bicycle to keep total luggage at 2 checked pcs.

Since I travel solo and am very experienced pedaling bicycles through traffic, I even put the bike in service right at the airport, stuff the bag in the suitcase, and pedal away to the port or hostel/hotel with the suitcase bungee strapped to my bike rack and rolling along behind me. I've done this in both Ft. Lauderdale and San Juan. Not good if it's raining however.

Mine is easier to just leave in "ready to roll" form on the ship once I unpack it. I took the pedals off so it would squeeze better behind the couch on RC Brilliance. If you are a good "sweet talker" you might get the crew to store it for you near the gangway ??

Edwin

Slightly off-center, but watching the Key West port cam yesterday as AIDA crew offloaded a dozen full sized bicycles before the pax started to get off the ship. So some lines must allow them onboard.

AIDA has bikes that they loan out to passengers. When I was In Cartagena on the Jewel, one of their ships was also in port. I saw people riding bikes that had the AIDA logo right on the frame.

AIDA has bikes that they loan out to passengers. When I was In Cartagena on the Jewel, one of their ships was also in port. I saw people riding bikes that had the AIDA logo right on the frame.

They also offer bike excursions in most ports and use their own bikes for those.

what does AIDA mean? All I see on google search is : an opera by Verdi, some advertising term, some hold-you-breath diving assoc .

OK, now I put in AIDA cruises and I get the answer. Never heard of this company before. For those like me wondering, it is a new and growing fleet owned by Carnival but catering mostly to German market. I did not look for a schedule of their sailings.

Archived