Roatan Shopping

Colorado fan

Mahogany Bay is a little village " port " that Carnival Corp built. It is kind of their version of a private island area where they get a cut of all the shops profits and more money from food, drinks etc.... it is somewhat Disney-like and will not give you a true feeling of the island. But if you just want to get off and sit on a man made beach and do a bit of over priced shopping...... then it is perfect.

Coxen Hole is the main town of Roatan and not anything like Mahogany Bay. There are a few shops within the secure port area before you go out the gates but not much. There isn't really a nice beach nearby either.

To really experience Roatan you need to get out of either of these areas and see some of this gorgeous island. It is still fairly undeveloped and therefore still like the Caribbean was years ago. The people are friendly and the views amazing.

For some really great shopping head to West End Village. Shops, bars, restaurants and art galleries. They just paved the main street there so nicer to walk around too.

And the sand fleas can be a problem especially in rainy season...... and if they tend to like you anyway. They like warm moist sand. They don't really like me so I only got a bite or two on my last one week stay in December (rainy season)

Archived