Sapphire Beach

fun2cruise

We want to go to Sapphire Beach on this trip. The cruise line has a tour for the beach. Does anyone know if we can go there on our own or only with a tour. We were told it's a resort and you can only go if you are on a tour....is this true? Thanks.

We went on the ship excursion and probably a good thing we did. I think there were 6 ships in port that day and saw some people at the stand asking to rent chairs who weren't on an excursion and were told they didn't have any. Plus it was a pretty good deal since it included snorkel, chair and a drink.

Was that at Sapphire or another beach? They have tons of lounges scattered along the beach at Sapphire almost from Crystal Cove all the way to bldg B of the Sapphire resort and even on 6 ship days when we were staying at the resort the majority were never used. If they were the beach must have been very busy!

I am doing some research for my folks, who will be there in April. I was looking at Godfrey's tours (we toured with him before and loved it) and his website says he will no longer go to Sapphire because the restaurant is closed and the property/restrooms are poorly maintained. Anyone get a sense of whether this is still the case? I was also looking at some other tours that DID include Sapphire, so I'm curious if the place has become dumpy. There are too many other great beaches on St. Thomas to go to a dumpy one. ;)

Man it gets old seeing references to that post.

jl please review the many other threads on Sapphire and you'll find this discussion, unfortunately. You'll also find pictures of the restrooms and that the vast majority of folks who spend one day there or weeks there love it.

Good luck with your restroom research!!:p

We just got back from Sapphire Beach last week. There are restrooms, nothing fancy but servicable. I wouldn't have wanted to change my clothes there though.

I wouldn't say the place is dumpy but it is a little run down. The beach area was very nice and the snorkeling was great. We got pizza for lunch from the girl walking up/down the beach. It arrived in 15 minutes and was good. I would definitley go back.

The "rundown" look comes from the fact that the condo resort restaurant and pool bar are closed and not being maintained. There is a continuing struggle between the condo assn and the resort property mgt company, with a new mgt hopefully they can make some headway and bring those operations back to life.

But we stay in a condo there (just spent a week there a few weeks ago) and we love it there as everyone else does. Beach and water are beautiful as are the island views. The dive center rents chairs, floaties, kayaks, snorkwel gear, etc and serves a cheaper rum punch and beer, while the Banana Cabana beach grill and the Sapphire Village Restaurant serve good sabdwiches. Nicest beach on the island, Secret Harbor is also a nice choice and offers a beach restaurant but a very calm bay.

Archived