Sapphire Beach

fun2cruise

We want to go to Sapphire Beach on this trip. The cruise line has a tour for the beach. Does anyone know if we can go there on our own or only with a tour. We were told it's a resort and you can only go if you are on a tour....is this true? Thanks.

We were told it's a resort and you can only go if you are on a tour....is this true? Thanks.

Not true. You can easily go to Sapphire on your own, there is a resort there, but the beach is public and free. There are loungers available to rent. Grab a taxi when you get off the ship, it's cheaper and you can be on your own schedule. Have fun! I was just there in Dec. here's a few pictures.....

Adventure100.jpg

Adventure093.jpg

Adventure079.jpg

Adventure074.jpg

Adventure067.jpg

Great Pictures! Wow, can't wait. (it was 14 degrees here this morning)

Since you were there recently, can you tell me the cost for the taxi, per person, round trip, etc? Also, about how long is the ride to Sapphire Beach?

Thanks, I've been combing through other threads and the information seems to be buried as I've been unable to find recent information.

Thanks so much for posting.

The cost for us to go to Sapphire in November was $10.00 per person plus we tipped him. The open air safari bus taxis do not go to Sapphire; you will take a sedan. Our driver dropped two others off at another beach first and then we continued on to Sapphire.

Just so you know, I would not call it a "resort". It is quite run down now; the cab driver was disappointed that we had chosen this beach, but whatever. :rolleyes: We had a nice day. Lunch was delicious - mahi mahi burgers from the food stand there. We did not take our water shoes but I wished we had - there were rocks and coral in the water and I did scrape my foot at one point. :( If you have them, you could take them with you - better to have them than to wish you had them. ;)

I also paid $10 each way. It was about a half hour drive, we stopped at Red Hook first to drop a couple off, then a group of us got off at Sapphire, and the cab went on to Coki.

I paid $10 for a HUGE ham & cheese wrap that came with chips and a pickle. Beers were $3 each.

I didn't have any problems with rock or coral on my tootsies. :D It was good snorkeling on the right side (when standing on the beach, looking at the water)

The snorkeling there is also awesome with a great reef. You can go out forever and still not be in deep water! You walk right in to the water and the reef is to the right and comes all the way up to the beach. To the left is sandy water for those that might not want to snorkel.

IMG_1942-M.jpg

IMG_1946-M.jpg

IMG_1998-M.jpg

IMG_1906-M.jpg

IMG_1841-M.jpg

IMG_1829-M.jpg

I have tons of pictures from that day if you are interested in viewing more, just let me know and I can give you the link.

Also, during the day, check out this webcam located right there at the condo resort that the taxi will drop you off at:

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/

You can see what it looks like day or night.

We want to take a taxi and go to drake's Seat then Mountain top and then be dropped at sapphire beach. Did the taxi drivers seem to want to deal with you on making a trip out of it or how did they seem?

I've taken a taxi from the port twice, once to go to Magens Bay, once to Sapphire beach. Both times the taxi I was put in was a van/shuttle with 10 or 12 people all being dropped at a beach, or Red Hook.

Sounds like you'd want a private trip. Just tell the guy at the taxi stand what you want, someone will take you.

Sapphire Beach is home to 3 condo resorts, there are no full-service resorts. There is a dive center for chair and snorkel rentals as well as kayaks and paddle boards and food and drink is available from a few sources.

Just grab a taxi $18 - 20pp roundtrip, 25 min taxi. There are taxis there for your return.

We're staying at Sapphire, the busiest ship days were Tues & Wed and a lot of the beach was taken by cruisers but it wasn't that crowded as compared to the other beaches which were mobbed.

Sapphire Beach is home to 3 condo resorts, there are no full-service resorts. There is a dive center for chair and snorkel rentals as well as kayaks and paddle boards and food and drink is available from a few sources.

Just grab a taxi $18 - 20pp roundtrip, 25 min taxi. There are taxis there for your return.

We're staying at Sapphire, the busiest ship days were Tues & Wed and a lot of the beach was taken by cruisers but it wasn't that crowded as compared to the other beaches which were mobbed.

so several people said taxi was $10 and now its $18-20 is this the difference between getting a taxi inside the gated port area vs. outside? i was told to go outside the gated area for a taxi as it would be cheaper. will be going 3/9 and need to know how to get to sapphire beach the easiest and cheapest. not concerned about once we get there - last time in st. thomas we didn't even walk around the port area so i'm somewhat unfamiliar. our excursion picked us up and we drove through the area.

Is there a place to change out of your swimsuit before leaving Sapphire beach? We want to go to Paradise Point afterwards and would rather get out of our wet clothes. I guess we could go back to ship and change but didn't want to waste the time.

We just went to Sapphire and took a van that was outside the gated area. We were in the van with 2 couples that were going to Red Hook. He dropped them off first and then took us to Sapphire. It was only $6 pp and he didn't charge us for the 2 year old. He was extremely nice and offered to come back and pick us up when we were done. They do have bathrooms, though they're not the greatest. We had a really nice day there. Definitely do it on your own. You don't need a tour to go and it's much nicer NOT to be part of a large group!

Archived